Game of Thrones

Quentin Taranbino

If you put spoiler in square brackets before your post and the spoiler in square brackets with a forward slash before the word spoiler then anything in the post will be hidden unless you press on it which people like me who are still to watch recent episodes won't do

Yeah I know how to do it.

But if you’re only on season 1 then why would you come onto a thread where folk will be discussing the latest episode?

What is dead, and Lichtie4life, may never die.

Episode was decent enough, maybe about a 6 or 7 out of 10 on the Ozymandias scale. Most of my complaints / disappointments have been covered already. There were certainly some excellent moments, but at no point did I ever truly feel that one of the really main characters were going to die. The Night King dingying Jon was a great moment, but even though he was surrounded by 14,312 zombies, I just didn’t think he was in any true danger. Was disappointed with the Night King’s death also, one of the many “just in the nick of time” moments that was all too convenient for the good guys, whilst the greatest threat humanity has ever known is dealt with by a sneaky pounce you’d expect to be a wee bit too much for a Pink Panther cartoon.

GoT is now at the stage where it’s arguably a victim of its own success in terms of delivering a quality product. It’s so popular and big now that it has to appeal to millions upon millions of people, and as a result it’s definitely become broader, with its quality regressing, as its popularity has increased. It’s still entertaining, and I’m still looking forward to the outcome, but the amount of plot armour the main characters have worn for the last couple of seasons has definitely made it lose a lot of its intrigue.

23 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

What is dead, and Lichtie4life, may never die.

Episode was decent enough, maybe about a 6 or 7 out of 10 on the Ozymandias scale. Most of my complaints / disappointments have been covered already. There were certainly some excellent moments, but at no point did I ever truly feel that one of the really main characters were going to die. The Night King dingying Jon was a great moment, but even though he was surrounded by 14,312 zombies, I just didn’t think he was in any true danger. Was disappointed with the Night King’s death also, one of the many “just in the nick of time” moments that was all too convenient for the good guys, whilst the greatest threat humanity has ever known is dealt with by a sneaky pounce you’d expect to be a wee bit too much for a Pink Panther cartoon.

GoT is now at the stage where it’s arguably a victim of its own success in terms of delivering a quality product. It’s so popular and big now that it has to appeal to millions upon millions of people, and as a result it’s definitely become broader, with its quality regressing, as its popularity has increased. It’s still entertaining, and I’m still looking forward to the outcome, but the amount of plot armour the main characters have worn for the last couple of seasons has definitely made it lose a lot of its intrigue.

Agree with all of that. I was anticipating the named character death count to be significantly higher last night and am now left thinking "Well, if they could come through all that unscathed, what's it going to take to see them off?" Unless the scriptwriters have something pretty special up their sleeves, I suspect any future deaths are going to be a bit anti-climactic. The Night King and his army couldn't kill Jaimie Lannister but Bronn will drop him with his crossbow? Euron Greyjoy's still around and I suppose The Mountain could take a few, (his brother maybe,) but I'm not sure who's left on Team Badguy that could do any real damage. 

Unless somebody chokes on a fish bone or slips and falls in the shower, I'm starting to wonder if they're all surviving from here on.

27 minutes ago, DavidMcG said:

What was Bran warging into for most of that episode? The ravens to have a look around. Was honestly expecting him to take control of the dead dragon or do something cool with his abilities but he literally did nothing or did I miss it?

I've seen a theory that he warged into one of the dragons and possibly Ser Jorah

30 minutes ago, DavidMcG said:

What was Bran warging into for most of that episode?

Amy Adams in front of a full length mirror. Much more fun than sitting around in a cold forest making small talk with Theon.

I've got a feeling this is being set up for the inevitable sequel in a few years.

I know there is another scheduled spin off but the fight for the Iron Throne could continue with these possible babies-

Arya Stark/ Gendry Baratheon baby.

Aegon Targaryen/ Daenerys Targaryen baby (or dragon eggs?).

Sansa Stark/ Tyrion Lannister baby.

Cersei Lannister/ Jaime Lannister baby.

Euron Greyjoy/ Yara Greyjoy (he probably raped her) baby.

Edmure Tully/ Rosliu Frey baby.

Robin Arryn/ ??? baby.

Drogon/ Rhaegal dragon babies.

Probably many more I've not thought of too. Plenty for HBO to spin this out for many years to come and make plenty of cash.

Bring it on!

Ep.3 liveblog....

- oh great Melisandre is back, let’s make this war about that miserable SHITHEAD

- setting Dothraki swords on fire great magic trick love how about you conjure up something useful to twat those icecunts NOPE

- lolled at Ghost trotting into battle, that’ll put the fear up the dead, a panting dog

- battle! First flourish a total homage to Storm Over by Pudovkin! 

- rip Edd you were only here to die and put dickhead Samwell over 

- oh f**k off dragon SHIT these dragons are the worst, Jerry, the WORST

- Melisandre is back, look, priests are NO GOOD during war and you’re killing about 40 Unsullied per minute here

- it occurs to me they are not burning the dead bodies of the fallen, that feels like an error

***FIRST ACT BREAK FOR FIGHTING SPONSORED BY HARDHOME DITCHDIGGERS. GOT A ZOMBIE ARMY CHASING YOU AND YOU WANT 5 MINUTES TO HAVE A CHAT? CALL HARDHOME DITCHDIGGERS. NO GROUND TOO ICY***

- omg it’s zombie Wun Wun War Do Weg and he is PISSED

- woah Lyanna vs Wun Wun, this should be brief! 

- it was! Both dead! Another tier 3 character dies. RIP young lady you and your poorly fleshed out backstory were still good

- dragonfight again, can I skip

- Jon is wasted up in the sky flapping around like a skyb*****d

- this is a nice change of pace, Arya in the library, like a medieval game of Metal Gear Solid 

- Beric dead for the 24th time

- teasing that Syrio Forel comeback that people have wanked over since S1, NOT HAPPENING

- lol atop his dragon the Night King is carrying a massive javelin made of frozen piss

- his face is really shit, what a terrible bad guy he is, I mean REALLY

- yep! I was right! Burn the bodies! You are meant to burn them! Now we have ice unsullied and ice Dothraki! This MUST be the end and not a turning the screw device! 

- oh, and there goes the party down in the crypt

- just cracking up at the CGI suite where two interns c&p their 27000th zombie

- Sansa and Tyrion romance moment THIS IS NOT THE TIME AT ALL QUITE FRANKLY

- why does the Night King need officers around him? I don’t think he cares for hierarchical army structures at all

- theon_blackadder_s4e6_dead.jpg

- jorah_borncuckold_diecuckold.gif

- jon_screams_at_icedragon.lol

- melisandre_scottishwidows_becomesoldman.bmp

5/10 - absolutely love an apocalyptic war talked up for 7.5 series where no main characters die

Bit too much plot armour but other wise a bloody good hour and 20 minutes. 

Though the world seems suddenly full of experts on medieval warfare who only just noticed that most of the battles are not really that realistic in many details. 

All the great commanders were bumped off ages ago and have been replaced by inexperienced diddies who get to command based on birth right alone, which is probably part of Martin's overall narrative IMO.

16 minutes ago, Christophe said:

Ep.3 liveblog....

- oh great Melisandre is back, let’s make this war about that miserable SHITHEAD

- setting Dothraki swords on fire great magic trick love how about you conjure up something useful to twat those icecunts NOPE

- lolled at Ghost trotting into battle, that’ll put the fear up the dead, a panting dog

- battle! First flourish a total homage to Storm Over by Pudovkin! 

- rip Edd you were only here to die and put dickhead Samwell over 

- oh f**k off dragon SHIT these dragons are the worst, Jerry, the WORST

- Melisandre is back, look, priests are NO GOOD during war and you’re killing about 40 Unsullied per minute here

- it occurs to me they are not burning the dead bodies of the fallen, that feels like an error

***FIRST ACT BREAK FOR FIGHTING SPONSORED BY HARDHOME DITCHDIGGERS. GOT A ZOMBIE ARMY CHASING YOU AND YOU WANT 5 MINUTES TO HAVE A CHAT? CALL HARDHOME DITCHDIGGERS. NO GROUND TOO ICY***

- omg it’s zombie Wun Wun War Do Weg and he is PISSED

- woah Lyanna vs Wun Wun, this should be brief! 

- it was! Both dead! Another tier 3 character dies. RIP young lady you and your poorly fleshed out backstory were still good

- dragonfight again, can I skip

- Jon is wasted up in the sky flapping around like a skyb*****d

- this is a nice change of pace, Arya in the library, like a medieval game of Metal Gear Solid 

- Beric dead for the 24th time

- teasing that Syrio Forel comeback that people have wanked over since S1, NOT HAPPENING

- lol atop his dragon the Night King is carrying a massive javelin made of frozen piss

- his face is really shit, what a terrible bad guy he is, I mean REALLY

- yep! I was right! Burn the bodies! You are meant to burn them! Now we have ice unsullied and ice Dothraki! This MUST be the end and not a turning the screw device! 

- oh, and there goes the party down in the crypt

- just cracking up at the CGI suite where two interns c&p their 27000th zombie

- Sansa and Tyrion romance moment THIS IS NOT THE TIME AT ALL QUITE FRANKLY

- why does the Night King need officers around him? I don’t think he cares for hierarchical army structures at all

- theon_blackadder_s4e6_dead.jpg

- jorah_borncuckold_diecuckold.gif

- jon_screams_at_icedragon.lol

- melisandre_scottishwidows_becomesoldman.bmp

5/10 - absolutely love an apocalyptic war talked up for 7.5 series where no main characters die

This makes me want to declare it the best episode of television I've ever seen just so I'm not seen as sharing the same view as you.

6 minutes ago, virginton said:

All the great commanders were bumped off ages ago and have been replaced by inexperienced diddies who get to command based on birth right alone, which is probably part of Martin's overall narrative IMO.

Agree with this.

What great commanders are folk talking about? There's load of great warriors but no commanders. The Unsullied always follow orders, not formulate battle plans. The Dothraki have no tactics other than ride at folk full pelt. Jon was shown to be a shit strategist in the Battle of the b*****ds. Davos has always been an advisor, not a strategist. Jaime perhaps could be decent at battle planning but we haven't seen it before (his old man gave the orders). Danaerys has also been proven to be shit at making battle plans in the past.

The only good strategist they had was Tyrion, and he made a good point about being stuck in the crypt. His involvement in the initial battle plan might have been tempered by Danaerys raging at him.