Game of Thrones

Quentin Taranbino

Don't think Theon has been that bad. Euron is a joy though. Probably the only villain that I've found it hard to dislike no matter what he does. He just carries his arrogance brilliantly. 

Don't think Sansa gets enough credit. You could complain about the character but I think Sophie Turner has played it really well from the start.

Guy that's Dario is in a movie called The Invitation and he's great in that too. I'd heartily recommend it.

Don't think Theon has been that bad. Euron is a joy though. Probably the only villain that I've found it hard to dislike no matter what he does. He just carries his arrogance brilliantly. 
Don't think Sansa gets enough credit. You could complain about the character but I think Sophie Turner has played it really well from the start.
Guy that's Dario is in a movie called The Invitation and he's great in that too. I'd heartily recommend it.

I agree I.e Sophie Turner. Her character has gone through a pretty major transformation from the start of the show so fair play for carrying it off.

I think Michelle Fairley is pretty underrated as well. One of my favourite scenes is where she talks about Jon Snow to Robs wife (the name escapes me) and how she hated him and wished him dead.

Unlike a lot of the GOT lot I was already familiar with how good she was. So her being good just passed without much thought for me. Agree completely though.

EDIT: Same for Mark Addy btw 

Edited by Principal Flutie

20 hours ago, Elixir said:

Never understood the criticism of Emilia Clarke. Think it's just folk trying too hard, tbh.

In the books, Daenerys has a bland personality. Considering Emilia Clarke seems to have an extremely bubbly personality in real-life, it's quite a contrast.

Her performance during the Sack of Astapor is tremendous.

Because a couple of people have mentioned it people like to jump on the bandwagon to appear knowledgeable. 

Unsurprisingly, all those getting hailed as great actors are the ones with the more interesting characters and lines. Shocking. 

Edited by Grant228

Alfie Allen is fantastic as Theon. He has basically had to portray three different characters over the course of the series.

I never thought much of Euron on my first watch through, but now and after reading the books, I think he's great.

Also, I think Jaime is my favourite character. Just so complex and well acted.

1 hour ago, Estragon is a fud said:

Grant's a fanboy. You're not allowed to criticise any single little aspect of his precious series or you're a troll/wind-up merchant/on the bandwaggon/doing it for attention.

Strange boy. 

Not entirely true.

Also a chance you could just be thick.

15 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Have the people who highlight the quality of the writing in the books 1. Read the books and 2. Read any other books? They are utterly dreadful.

Some cracking insight here. :lol:

Man on the Internet says that thing you enjoy is actually unenjoyable!

I'm sure it's rocked the book readers viewpoint to the core.

1 hour ago, Principal Flutie said:

:lol:

Not wrong though. 

Genuinely the only bad acting that sticks in my mind was Little finger and his ever changing accent. Outwith that the characters are represented how I'd roughly expect them to be, I don't enjoy some characters as much as others but I'm not sure if that criticism can be leveled at the actors. 

Tyrion was my favourite actor while he was in Kings Landing/7 Kingdoms but he's been pretty meh the last couple of seasons, I'm not putting that down to Peter Dinklage being a bad actor. 

Watching Bran was a bit of a slog and recently while he's been a creepy basted but that is how the character is meant to be. Jon Snow is a dour northerner who is by all accounts a bit thick, not all characters can be as intelligent as Olenna and Tywin for example. 

1 hour ago, Estragon is a fud said:

Grant's a fanboy. You're not allowed to criticise any single little aspect of his precious series or you're a troll/wind-up merchant/on the bandwaggon/doing it for attention.

Strange boy. 

There's plenty of criticisms that are perfectly valid for GoT. 

You just can't think of any because you're dense, unlucky. 

Grant has some ego. But I'll explain a bit.

Dany is good in the cold hearted stuff. Any actual emotion and she's useless. She's had plenty chance to shine. She doesn't have a bland character. 

Jon is actually quite naw bad. Bland? Yep. But plays the part well enough. 

7 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

Dany is good in the cold hearted stuff. Any actual emotion and she's useless. She's had plenty chance to shine. She doesn't have a bland character. 

She cant move half her face because of prosthetics\glues etc to keep her wig on. 

That's my take, too. She's also not bad when she needs to be vulnerable, but struggles when she needs to be in command.

Were Emila Clarke playing a character like Pod or Bronn then her limited abilities wouldn't be so much of an issue. Someone with the importance of Daenerys needs a much better actress through. We see a parade of strangers make life changing decisions within days of meeting her because she's so impressive but as a viewer I just don't see what they see. A big part of that is because she's just not a good enough actress.

Sansa has become one of my favourite characters despite me wanting her first for the chop three seasons back. She's about the only character which has actually developed over the eight seasons and the actress is doing a pretty decent job of playing a spoilt teenager who has had to do a lot of growing up in a short space of time.

I'm pretty sure that Bran is being acted exactly the way he's being told to, so I think criticism is a bit harsh. Although dodgy scenes abound most of the criticism deserves to be pointed at the writers and directors, rather than the actors.

3 hours ago, Estragon is a fud said:

Charles Dance was the best thing that happened to this show. Such a shame Tywin was killed off. Best character in it by a mile, and the best acted one too.

His death is pivotal to the plot. There would not be much dramatic tension with Tywin bossing Westeros for Tommen and Cerscei married off. Even Daenerys return would be a simple calculation as to whether she was beatable or to bend the knee. 

1 hour ago, Rodhull said:

It's pretty weird going back to the early series when Aiden Gillen was just doing a Welsh accent and not the weird gravelly 70% Christian Bale batman voice he used later on.

He's an odd one.  He was quite brilliant in The Wire.  His accent was spot on.  Yet in Game of Thrones it's absolutely all over the place.  There's a film called Cavalry where he plays an Irish priest, and he can't even do an Irish accent well anymore.  I watched with an Irish guy who didn't believe Gillen was Irish it was that bad.

3 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

He's an odd one.  He was quite brilliant in The Wire.  His accent was spot on.  Yet in Game of Thrones it's absolutely all over the place.  There's a film called Cavalry where he plays an Irish priest, and he can't even do an Irish accent well anymore.  I watched with an Irish guy who didn't believe Gillen was Irish it was that bad.

I think it just seemed like you can tell sometimes when an actor's not into it and is just going through the motions, probably because the money is obviously pretty good.

Then again the boy that played Stannis made it pretty clear in any interview he did that he didn't really understand the character or the show but I thought he was pretty solid.

I'm sure I read an extract from interview somewhere with one of the directors saying that Littlefinger's accent changed on purpose. There was a theory going around that it was because he was a faceless man (and not actually always the same "person" wearing the face) but that doesn't stack up for me. If it being intentional was true and I could be bothered checking, I would probably bet on it being something along the lines of him altering his accent to suit whoever he was trying to manipulate at the time e.g. trying to sound more northern when trying to manipulate a notherner etc.