Game of Thrones

Quentin Taranbino

In the very first episode some White Walkers are kicking about what must be presumably quite near the Wall. What were they doing and why did they f**k off north again?

I'd liked to have seen more of the North and Beyond The Wall.

Anyway, what's Edmund Tully up to these days?

11 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

In the very first episode some White Walkers are kicking about what must be presumably quite near the Wall. What were they doing and why did they f**k off north again?

Was it not the case that they could not cross the wall due to magic or something?

13 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

They had to build a large army. 

They had been cutting about north of the Wall for close to 20 years, slowly adding troops.  There slow building threat is why Mance seeks to become King Beyond the Wall and unite the Free Folk. The Ranger party in season 1 stumble upon a raid on a Free Folk settlement as the White Walkers add wights to the army. 

Read a lot of criticism of this episode from some. Just rewatched it and its actually a return to form. Its far more like the first 4 seasons than those that came after it. Bit more of something for the early fans. Watching peoples eyes and facial expressions as they have to communicate a lot of thinking in a short screen time and set up conflicts that have to boil around the two big set piece episodes to come. 

Its a series opening episode that has to gallop through a lot of reunions and some emotional resolutions,  look at Arya and the Hound, so much has happened between them then too them in the period they were apart. You could have their semi reconciliation spread over a series or two.  But they have to cram it in here. They kind of acknowledge their complex respect for each other and for some of us a huge amount of history of the characters in a short exchange. 

The actors for all the Stark children were really young when this all started. They are not turning in Emmy winning performances but they have all had some pretty serious changes to pull off in roles they won as children. I think Masie\Arya has done the best but they done  a fair old job of trying to show changes way beyond what anyone could have cast them for. 

Maybe I am a fan boi but I can really live with this episode in what it has to achieve. 

55 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

After taking back Riverrun the Freys locked him up again. Now the Freys are dead he might have been freed by his wife and become the Lord of the Riverlands again, or he's still locked up in the dungeons.

After taking back Riverrun the Freys locked him up again. Now the Freys are dead he might have been freed by his wife and become the Lord of the Riverlands again, or he's still locked up in the dungeons.
Or it was long enough ago that the show can brush him under the carpet....

1 minute ago, paul-r-cfc said:
10 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Or it was long enough ago that the show can brush him under the carpet....

Pretty much.

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Is there any indication from the books if its likely that the Night King intends to/will ever actually communicate with anyone?

There isn't a Night King in the books. Or at least there hasn't been so far. A lot of the White Walker stuff has been seen for the first time on the show.

In the book's there's a Night's King who's one of old Nan's mythical stories. He was the 13th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch that is meant to have fallen in love with a female White Walker. He then married her rebelled and turned the wall into his personal kingdom delcaring himself the Night's King and it took the King Beyond the Wall and the Starks fighting together to defeat him.

14 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Are they not meant to be linked to the Weirwood trees?

I'm sure it's something like the First Men started chopping them down so the Night King was created to protect them, but ended up going too far. 

That might just be their purpose and not the source of their powers. I'm of course completely just firing this out as a random thought without any real substance to back it up though. I just have a funny feeling that Bran will have to be a martyr at some point. I mean why did the Night King only try and cross the wall now? The three eyed raven had been north of the wall until then, and as soon as they found out where he was the first time they went straight for him with the full army. Only when he fled south did they follow.

13 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:
14 hours ago, dorlomin said:
the two big set piece episodes to come.

What spoilerish nonsense is this?

It has been blindingly obvious for ages that the Battle of Winterfell will be set in episode three and the Battle of King's Landing will be set in episode five. Those aren't spoilers.