Game of Thrones

Quentin Taranbino

On 01/04/2019 at 23:31, Gianfranco said:

Do the books explain how Craster was able to make a deal with the white walkers? It would be the ultimate anti climax if John was able to talk to them and negotiate some sort of peace after all that’s happened.

Never really thought about it too much, but they turn the babies into White Walkers, so maybe it was simply a case of using him to build their strength, he'd probably have been killed by them by now if he'd survived this long.

Also remembered lots of other white walker questions I’m sure that were answered at the time like why Sam was spared at the end of season 2 and the meaning of the mad art the walkers do with bodies.

Sam wasnt spared, they never seen him behind the rock. Was just an editing mistake (?) as the scene after they "look at each other", you see the Walker hasn't even reached the rock hes hiding behind yet. Hes possibly able to stay there undetected until everyone passes, as mental as that sounds.

The art things have something to do with the ceremony that made the Night King, I'm sure we see the children of the forest using similar ones at one point. " The North Remembers", as they say...

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

I'd like to know how Dragonstone was in such good shape, and where everyone had went. 

Wouldn’t they all have gone to attack the wildlings at the wall with Stannis. Not sure how much time had passed in the show but it must have only been unoccupied for about six months at most?

A lot of them were killed at Blackwater. They then all went North of the Wall to batter the Wildlings.

They then went with Stannis to Winterfell. Loads died of the cold on the way, and loads abandoned him after he burnt his daughter. Those who made it were annihilated by the Bolton army.

On 01/04/2019 at 23:31, Gianfranco said:

Do the books explain how Craster was able to make a deal with the white walkers? It would be the ultimate anti climax if John was able to talk to them and negotiate some sort of peace after all that’s happened.

There is a lot of speculation based on the books. 

The relationship between the original Nights Watch and the Walkers is a bit of a mystery. There is a gate at the old chief fort of the Nights Watch the "Black Gate" in the NIghtsfort. It is speculated to have been built to offer sacrifices, perhaps children too the White Walkers. If you like going deep into the lore the related to the book its discussed here:

There is not a lot of information how Caster communicated with the White Walkers but there are a lot of hints that what Caster was up to had a historic precedent. 

A lot of them were killed at Blackwater. They then all went North of the Wall to batter the Wildlings.
They then went with Stannis to Winterfell. Loads died of the cold on the way, and loads abandoned him after he burnt his daughter. Those who made it were annihilated by the Bolton army.
And the women, children and elderly? Nine of the other houses thought they'd take a castle like that for themselves? The Lannisters didn't consider placing a couple of snipers there knowing it was a likely point of return for their main rival? That she could just swan into an empty castle like that is one of the most unbelievable things on the show.

Maybe the families etc fucked off because they knew they were open to attack with the armies gone. 

The other houses most likely had no interest in it. It's of no strategic value and is resource heavy to occupy, plus too easy to be trapped in. Plus they were all a bit involved in stuff elsewhere so didn't have the time or men to go and take it, which would have involved marching hundreds of miles and leaving their own lands undefended.

There'd be little point in putting some snipers there as all the Westeros houses knew none of them would be so silly as to take it. Daenerys only took it because they were coming from that direction and it was her ancestral home. Cersei repeatedly said to ignore the reports of Daenerys as well and none of the other houses would want to stop her army settling there.

Edited by DA Baracus

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Maybe the families etc fucked off because they knew they were open to attack with the armies gone. 

The other houses most likely had no interest in it. It's of no strategic value and is resource heavy to occupy, plus too easy to be trapped in. Plus they were all a bit involved in stuff elsewhere so didn't have the time or men to go and take it, which would have involved marching hundreds of miles and leaving their own lands undefended.

This is it, I think. Dragonstone is meant to be pretty pointless in terms of position and resources, dragon glass aside.

Its not left alone in the books, but I assume they didn't feel there was any point in wasting time with it on the show, which is fair enough, nothing particularly exciting happens there.

It's nice of Sky to send out the "never miss" e-mail about this, but if you didn't already know this was about to start again you almost deserve to miss it.

Finished watching it again from the start yesterday, so now I'm all hyped and ready.

This is it, I think. Dragonstone is meant to be pretty pointless in terms of position and resources, dragon glass aside.
Its not left alone in the books, but I assume they didn't feel there was any point in wasting time with it on the show, which is fair enough, nothing particularly exciting happens there.
I've just finished watching the entire series and I'm pretty sure they never mention Dragonstone being pointless. If it's so useless why was it built in the first place?

All they needed to do was have the Onion Knight utter one line like "The advance party have secured the area."

27 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I've just finished watching the entire series and I'm pretty sure they never mention Dragonstone being pointless. If it's so useless why was it built in the first place?

All they needed to do was have the Onion Knight utter one line like "The advance party have secured the area."

They dont mention a lot in the show.

The island it's on is meant to have almost no resources, outwith the dragonglass in the hills. Youd assume the dragonglass is why they built it there, but it's never clarified. Everyone will have vacated when Stannis was killed at Winterfell, everyone important went with him, he had no heir apparent to leave in charge, and was the last of that family. Those who remained would know someone would come to claim it, and theyd be killed it theyd remained, so it was abandoned. 

Im sure the Lannisters invade at this stage in the book, but obviously the show decided it wasnt worth adding in.

20 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

It's referenced a few times around Stannis. Basically how it's a rock with no resources

Edit: and it was first built as its where the Targareyns landed. They set up shop there relatively innocently before the Doom of Valyria and prepared to invade Westeros. 

Edited by FairWeatherFan

Aye, it was the first place the Targareyns hit when sailing to Westeros.

Anyway, why is Brann a wee emotionless, unfeeling dick who can see shit save for when he's being hurtful to folk who care about him? The old Three Eyed Raven wasn't like that.