Game of Thrones

Quentin Taranbino

It's unlikely that any spin off would focus on Roberts Rebellion because when the main story is over we will know all of its intricacies and secrets.

The Tales of Dunk and Egg however would be good.

That's probably more likely seen as there's an actual written source for it obviously. Shame as the rebellion would be superb. Possibly a one off film..... One can dream

My view is that Brienne and the Hound are modern perspectives\critiques of the western knight myth. The Hound is a typical post Vietnam western antihero, all glum and sullen, full of bile but a inner code that is greater than the superficial formal code of the knights. He would not be out of place as a sergeant in Platoon or a drug gang in The Wire. He is the post modern or perhaps revisionist critique of the knights hypocrisy. While Brienne is the instantiation of all knightly virtue to juxtapose with the grubby, rapey, murderous thugs who rage through the Riverlands during the War of the 5 Kings. In the books she is ugly, although clearly not in the TV show but that is set against the effete dashing Sir Lancelots in courtly fiction. Instead she is the myth of knighthood made real in the avatar of Jean de Arc.

The other pair who I think are used as counterbalancing literary devices are Varys and Littlefinger. One by one all the power players are getting taken out by their vices\excess of virtues. Neddard's sense of pride and honour in giving Cersei a chance, Tywin's obsession with family to the exclusion of the human needs of his children gets him shot in the shitter, Stannis' unyeildingness sees him march into a winter going all Napoleon\Hitler at his Stannisgrad. Robb's youthful lust and failure to make accommodation with his angry bannerman lead him to the Red Wedding. But Varys and Littlefinger most resemble Machiavelli's The Prince in their approach to power. They seem to be Doppelgangers or twins, both rise from poverty to power, both pursue power to the exclusion of all else, but they are physically and in lifestyle mirror opposites. One is fat but aesthetic the other thin and full of lusts, one deeply moral under an amoral subterfuge the other just amoral. But both place the pursuit of power above all else, nothing stands in its way, these are the only two characters who seem to shape events to their will. They are the two threads that bind all the stories.

The other pairing that has until now been ignored is Sansa and Theon, both started as superficial, indulged children of the upper aristocracy. Both set about paths to reach power that seen them brought to torture and horror, now both are on the run together with nothing but a hope of a warm bed and a safe nights sleep. I know the Sansa thing is controversial but I always thought the two of them went through there experiences as a pairing. They must be behind Daenerys and Littlefinger as the third most likely to end up on the throne. Likely in the bloodiest possible fashion.

The other story of twinned rise, fall and revenge is surely the sinful and over prideful pair of Cersie and Jaime. Both have been brought low through maiming and shaming. Now their vengeance will be bitter. What I think has helped make the show work is slowly showing how they both tick, they go from hated to understood if disliked and even sympathetic.

Finally I expect this series to be full of Chthonic forces of the world coming to wreak vengeance on the violation of hosts duties at the Red Wedding. The Freys and the Boltons have violated the most ancient traditions. Greek literature is full of what happens when you break those sacred duties. I had expected Arya to be the instrument of that. But she is not ready. Instead I expect the Freys especially to be hit bit a constant stream of accidents and deaths. The Boltons will begin to plot against who is to murder the other first, cats in a bag.

And Jon waged into ghost, Melisandre to call Thoros via her flames and get him back and the Onion Knight to start taking a leadership role. 

I actually think then fact that any character can die is one of the key things that drew me into Game of Thrones in the first place. I am a bit annoyed that there is ambiguity over a main character's death in this way. I remember reading the first book and thinking about half way through - hang on everyone from the blurb on the back is dead, f**k knows what's going to happen now. It adds so much to the suspense knowing at any moment characters who seem absolutely vital to the story line die out of absolutely nowhere.

I've never liked resurrection or fake death story lines, always seem like such a cop-out, a way of manipulating the tension and shock of a main death without actually having to lose a character.

Anyway, that episode was just a set up really. I thought the #bantz between the Kahl was a bit cringey tbh. Maw jokes, really? Liked the Sansa /Brienne bit a lot, good to see Brienne finally make herself useful

Does anyone watch any good Thrones podcasts online or that? I refuse to watch anything with Sue Perkins so the official Thronescast thing is a naw for me. 

Emergency Awesome youtube channel might be what your looking for. I dont watch it often but if I am bored and all...

Emergency Awesome youtube channel might be what your looking for. I dont watch it often but if I am bored and all...

Aye I've seen that guy before. He's a detestable wee fellow though, I find his voice perhaps more annoying than Sue Perkins' general person. 

Oft, top episode that.

I literally cheered when the Wildlings showed up and Alliser fucking shat himself.
Ramsey killing Roose I found pretty surprising.
And unbelievable scenes at the end. The battler between the Wildlings/Night's Watch and the Bolton's should be pretty interesting.

Oft, top episode that.

I literally cheered when the Wildlings showed up and Alliser fucking shat himself.

Ramsey killing Roose I found pretty surprising.

And unbelievable scenes at the end. The battler between the Wildlings/Night's Watch and the Bolton's should be pretty interesting.

not as surprising as what he did next