Comic Book Movies (and TV Shows)

forehead7

5 hours ago, well fan for life said:

Aye I clocked last night that Florence Pugh is already credited as being in the series. And the post credits scene as well. I don't mind that tbf. Although I would be absolutely sound if she just ditched the accent like the way Elizabeth Olsen did. 

I'd have absolutely respected it if they'd gone down the Chernobyl route and just had folk speak in their own accents. 

Aye, the accents were ridiculous lol, florence pugh will be good in the mcu i think

On another note, just back from eternals, it definitely struggled having to basically introduce all the characters, unlike avengers, the cgi was good and the fight scenes were very decent, decent if not spectacular film, the end credits were interesting however, looking forward to how they progress the new characters introduced post credits

15 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

Aye, the accents were ridiculous lol, florence pugh will be good in the mcu i think

On another note, just back from eternals, it definitely struggled having to basically introduce all the characters, unlike avengers, the cgi was good and the fight scenes were very decent, decent if not spectacular film, the end credits were interesting however, looking forward to how they progress the new characters introduced post credits

I had to google who the voice was in the final post-credit scene. Thought I’d missed something!

With the kids, having burned through the Marvel movies we are trudging through the grim and humourless DC movies. 

What would be a good recommendation for our Wednesday movie night? The choices are Wonder Woman, Aquaman or Batman vs Superman. 

We will watch them all, but which is best? Last week we did Man of Steel and it just made me want to watch the Christopher Reeve movies. 

On 05/11/2021 at 18:05, Mark Connolly said:

I’ve just seen Eternals. I will be very interested to know what the rest of P&B thought as it seems to be dividing opinion on Twitter.

Reveal hidden contents

I thought it was absolute fucking horseshit that felt every second of the 7000 years they tried to fit in to however long it actually lasted

I didn’t mind Eternals, it wasn’t great but it wasn’t bad enough to get the absolute kicking some reviews are giving it.

The characters were fine for the most part and they atleast tried to give them a bit of build.

Yeah it was far too long but any movie that goes a good bit beyond 2 hours needs to be an epic for me to enjoy it.

If we are just comparing it to the last Marvel film I preferred it to Shang-Chi.

After a lot of discussion with the kids, we ended up watching the 1989 Batman. 

First time watching it for my youngest. Jack Nicholson is listed as the star and I remember being annoyed at this in the past, but after this rewatch I think he actually was the star. The film is more Joker than Batman and Nicholson chews up the scenery. 

Over time his Joker has been unfavourably compared to Heath Ledgers one. But for me, rewatching this has reminded me just how good he was. 

Plus the music is excellent. 

17 hours ago, scottsdad said:

With the kids, having burned through the Marvel movies we are trudging through the grim and humourless DC movies. 

What would be a good recommendation for our Wednesday movie night? The choices are Wonder Woman, Aquaman or Batman vs Superman. 

We will watch them all, but which is best? Last week we did Man of Steel and it just made me want to watch the Christopher Reeve movies. 

Joker, Wonder Woman and Shazam are head and shoulders above any of the other movies, although the Joker is porbably not really appropriate for the kids depending on how old they are.

The 2 Suicide Squad and Harley Quin are watchable at least, the rest are eyebleedingly bad and I would include the 2nd Wonder woman in that group.

I've found the DC TV output has been, in the main, better than their movie output- Doom Patrol, Titans, Gotham (again those 3 probably not kid friendly) and Constantine I thought were all excellent, Arrow, Supergirl, Flash etc were all at least watchable before dragging and becoming repetitive.

Edited by honestly united

Brilliant:

Joker

Good:

Wonder Woman, Shazam!

Okay:

Aquaman, Birds of Prey

Just about watchable:

Man of Steel, Suicide Squad

Utter shite:

Wonder Woman 84, Batman vs Superman, Justice League, Green Lantern

Incidentally if you enjoyed watching the MCU with your kids, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings is on Disney Plus tomorrow (if that's what you've been watching them on).

18 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

I didn’t mind Eternals, it wasn’t great but it wasn’t bad enough to get the absolute kicking some reviews are giving it.

The characters were fine for the most part and they atleast tried to give them a bit of build.

Yeah it was far too long but any movie that goes a good bit beyond 2 hours needs to be an epic for me to enjoy it.

If we are just comparing it to the last Marvel film I preferred it to Shang-Chi.

Always gonna be a struggle having a film with ten characters to introduce, have a plot that can be continued in later films, big fight scenes and build the story all through the film

We are about 5 episodes into season 5 of Agents of Shield and are losing the will to go on. The season started in a space station following the destruction of the earth. 

Question for anyone who has watched this - does it get better? The show has taken a huge and sudden sip in quality. Is this a blip, or the start of a terminal decline?

4 hours ago, scottsdad said:

We are about 5 episodes into season 5 of Agents of Shield and are losing the will to go on. The season started in a space station following the destruction of the earth. 

Question for anyone who has watched this - does it get better? The show has taken a huge and sudden sip in quality. Is this a blip, or the start of a terminal decline?

IIRC that's where I gave up. That season confused the hell out of me

I gave up eventually in season 7 - it disappeared up its own arsehole.

4 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Is that genuinely going to be a continuation of the 90s series?

futurama-shut-up-and-take-my-money-card-

2 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

If it is then i second it that they take your money, but allow me to watch it as well lol

Was an unreal cartoon back in the day 

A lot of the voice cast will be back. The original showrunners are also consulting on it.