Comic Book Movies (and TV Shows)

forehead7

I would be pretty confident that this will be better than Ragnarok.  Taika Waititi knows what he needs to do, has a great understanding of the material.  He gets more of a creative input into this one, so I think he will top his work with Ragnarok. For me it's the best of the Disney/MCU films.

• 2 weeks later...

Ms. Marvel's off to a great start. After finding Moon Knight a bit of a slog recently, the first episode here was a breath of fresh air. There's a real confidence on show, with no rush to set up the series big bad; instead time's just used to properly introduce Ms. Marvel and her family etc. Iman Vellani really is impressive as Kamala, especially considering it's her first real acting gig.

• 3 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I take it from the lack of posts that nobody else is watching Ms Marvel.

Slow and jumping around like f**k would be my analysis so far

Thought it started well, then dropped off. Last episode was better, but in general do we need another set of god like people on earth in the MCU? We already have the Inhumans, Eternals, Egyptian gods from Moon Knight and Thors lot, and now we are adding the Djinn as well.

I would rather it was just the English lads Maw trying to steal the bracelet for some reason.

On 29/05/2022 at 22:17, Loki said:

I would be pretty confident that this will be better than Ragnarok.  Taika Waititi knows what he needs to do, has a great understanding of the material.  He gets more of a creative input into this one, so I think he will top his work with Ragnarok. For me it's the best of the Disney/MCU films.

Seen some reviews and they are quite critical of the film, as usual I'll still see it though, 

Just back from watching Thor 4. Loved it. Definitely better than Doctor Strange. 

Spoiler

It didn’t need a lot of thinking, which is exactly what was needed. Just a good old fashioned good guys vs bad guy who is redeemed.

The backstory of how Jane can wield Mjolnir was maybe a little rushed, but I liked how it was done through Korg telling a story.

Heimdall returning in the post-credit scene needs to be more than a cameo, and the fact Jane is now also in Valhalla gives me hope we’ll be seeing him again. Maybe via some link to the multiverse.

Thor was just great - one person (not Korg) completely steals the show.

Darryl?

Anyway, enjoyed it. Not as good as Ragnarok but fun all the same. Strange watching a Thor movie without Loki though.

Darryl?

Anyway, enjoyed it. Not as good as Ragnarok but fun all the same. Strange watching a Thor movie without Loki though.

He was in it. During the exposition at the start and Matt Damon's hammy version.

I thought Russel Crowe was just brilliantly camp as Zeus.

On 07/07/2022 at 20:24, The Master said:

Just back from watching Thor 4. Loved it. Definitely better than Doctor Strange. 

Reveal hidden contents

It didn’t need a lot of thinking, which is exactly what was needed. Just a good old fashioned good guys vs bad guy who is redeemed.

The backstory of how Jane can wield Mjolnir was maybe a little rushed, but I liked how it was done through Korg telling a story.

Heimdall returning in the post-credit scene needs to be more than a cameo, and the fact Jane is now also in Valhalla gives me hope we’ll be seeing him again. Maybe via some link to the multiverse.

Dr Strange 2 was really shit. Apart from Elizabeth Olsen. She was stunning to look at throughout but even that couldn’t save the film for me.

Just seen Thor, really enjoyed it.

The main 4 play off each other so well, and I think Tessa Thompson is absolutely brilliant as Valkyrie. Bale was magnificent as Gorr as well. Also loved that it was basically all just Korg telling stories.

And the soundtrack… Randy Marsh gif here.

Cinema was about a quarter full which is not bad for a Tuesday morning, but I was the only person left by the time the end credit scene came on, and there had only been about half a dozen of us for the mid credit one. Who goes to a Marvel film and leaves as soon as the credits start?

Ms Marvel wasn't bad. The Disney+ shows do feel like diminishing returns though. Just checked what's next and it's She-Hulk with a 9 episode run. At the moment that aren't scheduled to be frontloaded with 2-3 episodes to start, but one a week. I can see that dragging heavily because of that.

spoiler for the Ms Marvel finale:

Think this is the first official use of mutation aka mutant in the MCU. With the use of a familiar theme to further sell it.

Edited by FairWeatherFan

On 13/07/2022 at 20:05, FairWeatherFan said:

Ms Marvel wasn't bad. The Disney+ shows do feel like diminishing returns though. Just checked what's next and it's She-Hulk with a 9 episode run. At the moment that aren't scheduled to be frontloaded with 2-3 episodes to start, but one a week. I can see that dragging heavily because of that.

spoiler for the Ms Marvel finale:

Reveal hidden contents

Think this is the first official use of mutation aka mutant in the MCU. With the use of a familiar theme to further sell it.

I must admit to getting confused as to who was on each other's side at certain points.

Spoiler

I also liked the wee sting when they said "mutation" though

Edited by Mark Connolly

Enjoyed Ms Marvel, but probably because my daughter was really in to it and my son wasn't grumbling too much.

Thor was good but tried to be too much like Ragnarok IMO. Didn't hit the same heights. Probably too much expectation, considering Ragnarok followed the drab Dark World.

Joker was good, but so depressing I will likely never watch it again. Can't see myself going to see a sequel.