Comic Book Movies (and TV Shows)

forehead7

Went to see The Batman last night. I enjoyed it as a detective movie but I thought as a 3 hour long film it was an odd length. Like long enough that it almost felt bloated but not long enough that you could get proper background on the main folk. Not that I want another origin story.

I wonder if it would have been better/made more sense as like a 6 part TV show. True Detective: My Chemical Romance Batman Edition. 

On 21/03/2022 at 11:44, scottsdad said:

I have been watching Superman & Lois on the iPlayer. It is much better than I had expected. 

I can't see past the fact they have kids and it will focus on their family issues and the kids inevitably inheriting dad's powers. It has all the hallmarks of the cliched American tv approach to family life ("bud", "sport", "champ") that I find quite nauseating and reinforced by a lot of the DC tv shows that portrays groups of people supporting the hero (The Flash, Arrow, Supergirl etc) as "family".

Not that I have an issue with families (ha) just the way they are presented on tv shows. And of course I haven't made the plunge to actually watch it based on my pre-judged prejudices!

Just now, KingRocketman II said:

I can't see past the fact they have kids and it will focus on their family issues and the kids inevitably inheriting dad's powers. It has all the hallmarks of the cliched American tv approach to family life ("bud", "sport", "champ") that I find quite nauseating and reinforced by a lot of the DC tv shows that portrays groups of people supporting the hero (The Flash, Arrow, Supergirl etc) as "family".

Not that I have an issue with families (ha) just the way they are presented on tv shows. And of course I haven't made the plunge to actually watch it based on my pre-judged prejudices!

This was my worry too. I thought it would be all about the kids, but I think they managed to balance it well enough. 

I liked that it wasn't rehashing the same old story of him coming to Earth, becoming a reporter, falling in love, etc. Clearly a few years later, the main baddies all defeated and everyone just a bit comfortable. It is more about them moving to Smallville than it is about parenting. And then we get some new baddies showing up. 

As I said, I thought it was going to be poor but it really wasn't. Looking forward to season 2. 

6 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Superman and Lois was good fun, IMO, and I share your reservations about having kids in films. Superman Returns was shite for that reason (among others).

I once heard someone refer to Superman Returns as 2 and a half hours of bum numbing disappointment.

It’s still the most accurate movie review I’ve ever heard

On 20/03/2022 at 11:53, Mark Connolly said:

With the Netflix Marvel shows now on Disney+, we've been binging Jessica Jones.

David Tennant really is tremendous as Kilgrave, he's brilliant when he plays a proper nasty c**t bad guy. Similar to the way he plays Barty Crouch Jr in Harry Potter, but less unhinged

One of his absolute best performances but looking forward very much to his return in next season of Good Omens.