Comic Book Movies (and TV Shows)

forehead7

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

It kinda kills some of the other theories imo. Like Kang being in the quantum realm this whole time etc. Will be interesting to see where it goes.

There could be a variant of kang in the quantum realm i suppose, he was trapped there by his timelines avengers or whatever and ant man accidentally releases him (obviously not knowing who he is) into our timeline, 

Wonder if we'll see some form of the f4 in ant man 3, richards and pym were very good teammates in the comics iirc, 

10 hours ago, SpiderDee said:
11 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:
Will I need to have seen the suicide squad with Jared Leto and Will Smith which I’ve heard is shite for this one thats coming out to make sense.

No mate it's a reboot

This, but I actually recommend watching the first one, because you can't understand just how shite it is otherwise.

Just now, DeeTillEhDeh said:
24 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:
This, but I actually recommend watching the first one, because you can't understand just how shite it is otherwise.

This one or the first one?

The first one is horrendously shite. The new one looks OK, but I've been burned by DC movies before.

In fact, on almost every occasion recently

I liked the first suicide squad much more than any recent (post dark knight) DC movie. It’s a low bar, but it at least had a bit of pace, where the others tend towards ponderous and humour, where the others tend towards po faced.

Jared Leto’s Joker, and the “plot” were the obvious weak points. 

I didn’t like it enough to watch it again or recommend it though.

I thought the last Harley Quinn film was quite enjoyable, never gonna win an Oscar but fun enough. Suicide Squad was just about tolerable but that still makes it easily better than Batman vs Superman, Justice League, Aquaman or Wonder Woman 1984. Shazam and the first Wonder Woman weren't bad. Man of Steel was just bland, can hardly remember a thing about it.

Generally, though, a "good" DC film is still worse than an average Marvel one.

11 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I thought the last Harley Quinn film was quite enjoyable, never gonna win an Oscar but fun enough. Suicide Squad was just about tolerable but that still makes it easily better than Batman vs Superman, Justice League, Aquaman or Wonder Woman 1984. Shazam and the first Wonder Woman weren't bad. Man of Steel was just bland, can hardly remember a thing about it.

I'd have Aquaman above the others in that wee section you have, in that it was at least cheesy shite that didn't seem to take itself too seriously unlike the others. Considering how much good material there is in the DC comics, it's amazing how often they manage to completely f**k it.

The DC Animated Universe is infinitely better than the live action one, even with the bizarre additions and changes to stuff like The Killing Joke.

I don't think I've seen any of them. Quite liked the sound of one set in an alternative reality where baby Superman lands in the USSR instead of Kansas and grows up as a Communist superhero and weapon but Amazon wanted me to pay to watch it so couldn't be arsed.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

Harley Quinn was a steaming pile of shite.

Actually, most DC films are a steaming pile of shite.

I think I could count on one hand those I would say are very good.

Agree regards Shazam and Wonder Woman - but then looking at Gal Gadot makes up for any disappointment that Justice League or WW 1984 may bring.

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I don't think I've seen any of them. Quite liked the sound of one set in an alternative reality where baby Superman lands in the USSR instead of Kansas and grows up as a Communist superhero and weapon but Amazon wanted me to pay to watch it so couldn't be arsed.

Red Son. Really good comic, and the film version isn't bad. Mark Millar wrote it.

I have some alone time for a week so am catching up on MCU. Have seen all the movies now up to but not including Black  Widow. 

Struggled with WandaVision but will go back to it. Half way through Falcon and the Winter Soldier. Looking forward to Loki.

Not every film is great or even good, but most are at least good and they seem to learn from their mistakes creatively when they do make them. The whole thing is an immense creative endeavour and I’m enjoying it greatly.

21 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Red Son. Really good comic, and the film version isn't bad. Mark Millar wrote it.

Mark is a bit of a fanny unfortunately and I find a lot of his work and adaptations of his work to be a bit shallow. Jupiter’s Legacy seems to be a Netflix turkey and his ego won’t like that one bit, but even the comic felt a bit lacking and derivative.

1 hour ago, Thorongil said:

Mark is a bit of a fanny unfortunately and I find a lot of his work and adaptations of his work to be a bit shallow. Jupiter’s Legacy seems to be a Netflix turkey and his ego won’t like that one bit, but even the comic felt a bit lacking and derivative.

Have watched first two episodes. I only watched the second to give it a chance to improve. Will not watch any more. Angsty shite, like Eastenders with capes. 

On 17/07/2021 at 13:00, Thorongil said:

I have some alone time for a week so am catching up on MCU. Have seen all the movies now up to but not including Black  Widow. 

Struggled with WandaVision but will go back to it. Half way through Falcon and the Winter Soldier. Looking forward to Loki.

Not every film is great or even good, but most are at least good and they seem to learn from their mistakes creatively when they do make them. The whole thing is an immense creative endeavour and I’m enjoying it greatly.

I think it makes a massive difference having someone like Feige overseeing the whole process.

DC have made so many mistakes that they'll be playing catch up for a long time.