Comic Book Movies (and TV Shows)

forehead7

Just now, Mr. Brightside said:

Also Ant-Man is fairly important to Endgame, although it is somewhat explained in Endgame.

I wasn't really sure whether to mention that, given as you said, it's explained.

I'd say Spider-Man is important in the same sort of way. The arc of the Stark/Parker relationship is pretty well fleshed out, but I think Infinity War does a good job of explaining that one too.

Right, I've given it a shot;
1.       Avengers: Infinity War
2.       Guardians of the Galaxy
3.       Avengers: Endgame
4.       Captain America: The Winter Soldier
5.       Thor: Ragnarok
6.       Captain America: Civil War
7.       Guardians of the Galaxy 2
8.       Ant Man and the Wasp
9.       Iron Man
10.   Captain America: The First Avenger
11.   Black Panther
12.   Captain Marvel
13.   Thor
14.   Spiderman: Homecoming
15.   The Avengers
16.   Ant-Man
17.   Doctor Strange
18.   Iron Man 3
19.   Avengers: Age of Ultron
20.   Iron Man 2
21.   Thor: The Dark World
22.   The Incredible Hulk

Winter Soldier wasn't No.1, so didn't read the rest!!![emoji23]

I'd say given numerous rewatches and thought, I'd go with this.

1. Endgame
2. Winter Soldier
3. Homecoming
4. GOTG
5. Ragnarok
6. GOTG 2
7. Civil War
8. Iron Man
9. The Avengers
10. Ant-Man
11. Infinity War
12. Incredible Hulk
13. Thor
14. Captain Marvel
15. Black Panther
16. The First Avenger
17. Doctor Strange
18. Iron Man 3
19. Ant-Man and the Wasp
20. Thor: The Dark World
21. Age of Ultron
22. Iron Man 2

I seem to be alone in not really liking Captain America. I've listed them in reverse order to build the incredible tension... 

22 Thor 2

21 Iron Man 2

20 The Incredible Hulk 

19 Avengers 2

18 Captain America 3

17 Captain America 2

16 Iron Man 2

15 Thor

14 Doctor Strange 

13 Captain America 

12 Avengers 

11 Iron Man 3

10 Ant-Man and The Wasp

9 Ant-Man

8 Black Panther

7 Spider Man

6 Iron Man

5 Thor Ragnarok

4 Guardians of the Galaxy 2

3 Avengers Infinity Wars 

2 Guardians of the Galaxy

1 Avengers Endgame. 

I consider 1-5 to be classics, 6-10 to be really good, enjoy 11-13, would be willing to give 14-15 another try, and wouldn't be the slightest bit upset if someone used the infinity stones to erase 16 downwards from history. 

Biggest surprise was Thor Ragnarok which I watched with no expectations after not really enjoy the first two Thor films and turned out to be great. Most disappointing was Avengers 2 which I expected to be amazing but was, to be fair to it, complete and utter bollocks. 

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

13 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I seem to be alone in not really liking Captain America. I've listed them in reverse order to build the incredible tension... 

22 Thor 2

21 Iron Man 2

20 The Incredible Hulk 

19 Avengers 2

18 Captain America 3

17 Captain America 2

16 Iron Man 2

15 Thor

14 Doctor Strange 

13 Captain America 

12 Avengers 

11 Iron Man 3

10 Ant-Man and The Wasp

9 Ant-Man

8 Black Panther

7 Spider Man

6 Iron Man

5 Thor Ragnarok

3 Avengers Infinity Wars 

1 Avengers Endgame. 

I consider 1-5 to be classics, 6-10 to be really good, enjoy 11-13, would be willing to give 14-15 another try, and wouldn't be the slightest bit upset if someone used the infinity stones to erase 16 downwards from history. 

Biggest surprise was Thor Ragnarok which I watched with no expectations after not really enjoy the first two Thor films and turned out to be great. Most disappointing was Avengers 2 which I expected to be amazing but was, to be fair to it, complete and utter bollocks. 

The Winter Soldier at 17 is a fucking disgrace, have a word.

6 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

22 Thor 2

21 Iron Man 2

20 The Incredible Hulk 

19 Avengers 2

18 Captain America 3

17 Captain America 2

16 Iron Man 2

15 Thor

14 Doctor Strange 

13 Captain America 

12 Avengers 

11 Iron Man 3

10 Ant-Man and The Wasp

9 Ant-Man

8 Black Panther

7 Spider Man

6 Iron Man

5 Thor Ragnarok

3 Avengers Infinity Wars 

1 Avengers Endgame. 

giphy.gif

8 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

22 Thor 2

21 Iron Man 2

20 The Incredible Hulk 

19 Avengers 2

18 Captain America 3

17 Captain America 2

16 Iron Man 2

15 Thor

14 Doctor Strange 

13 Captain America 

12 Avengers 

11 Iron Man 3

10 Ant-Man and The Wasp

9 Ant-Man

8 Black Panther

7 Spider Man

6 Iron Man

5 Thor Ragnarok

3 Avengers Infinity Wars 

1 Avengers Endgame. 

You've got Iron Man 2 in twice. Looks like one of them should be Captain Marvel.

I have to echo the comments from others regarding your Captain America placings. A disgrace.

Captain Marvel was supposed to be near the top, fucked it up. Get rid of Iron Man 2 at 16 and stick Captain Marvel at 6.

Captain America just doesn't do it for me. Patriotism is for wankers. In fairness, the fact that I didn't like him before the film maybe means I wasn't concentrating particularly hard. 

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

There's not much focus on his patriotism from 2 onwards, outside of his name. More on the fact that he's used to following orders, and even then from the 2nd one onwards, the arc is that he's not sure if he can even do that anymore. There's barely any focus on patriotism at all.

They played the character absolutely perfectly, and again he was a standout in Endgame as well. For me he's been the best thing in the MCU.

Friend of James Gunn, Michael Rooker has been signed up to play King Shark in Suicide Squad 2, excellent casting!!!

I saw Endgame today. I liked it. 

SPOILERS, I guess, but I assume this thread is fair game?

Anyway...

The first couple of acts were good. The first was dour but not just for the sake if being dour (happening, Snyder), and I thought the second was really fun even if it could've been thought of as self-indulgent, and contained the Black Widow/Hawkeye storyline which I thought was the most gripping sequence in Endgame. For the first couple of hours, the film didn't really on bombastic action to make it "epic" or satisfy the audience, but the most explosive scene in the opening two acts was also the most emotional so it wasn't clouded by explosions. I also liked how the tone in the 2012 section was akin to the tone in The Avengers and the 1970 section was similar to the first Captain America. 

I'd be surprised if any big fans of the MCU were disappointed by it as it really pulled out all the stops, which was actually one of my issues with the film: it felt, to me anyway, a bit too much like fan fiction at points. The other end of the spectrum is The Last Jedi though and people have waited a long, long time for this, so I don't really have an issue with them doing it - it just wasn't for me. 

Infinity War and Endgame almost felt like they'd swapped a few things around, but it was to beneficial to each of them. When films are split into two (I know this technically isn't but it really is) the first is slower and the second goes mental, but IW was much more actiony and this took its time and focused on character. Yes, IW did set things up for this and Endgame paid most of that off, but the establishment didn't feel baggy due to the action and the pay-offs didn't lose their weight due to Endgame taking its time. My main problem with IW was that there were too many uninteresting threads that made the whole film feel unfocused, however that was never a huge issue with Endgame, even after they all splintered off. They knew how much to show of each strand.

Captain America's ending was just perfect and I didn't expect it whatsoever, although I could've done without the 'passing of the torch'. 

Now some negatives:

• The time jump didn't do Thanos any favours. I liked that they didn't just make him the same as he was in IW due to him being a few years younger, but he lost all of the things that made him interesting in that film and was reduced to generic bad guy. 
  • Captain Marvel solely existed to save the day a couple of times. 
  • Thor continues to annoy me and my heart sank when that rock fella appeared. Watching Endgame and IW a day apart did allow me to notice nuances in Thor's character I hadn't see before though. 
  • I felt like I'd seen Iron Man's death plenty of times before, which was a disappointing way to end such a great character. 

I don't really care where this franchise goes next as this wrapped things up nicely, but it's certainly been fun following this unprecedented saga. Plenty of the films didn't work with me, plenty did, but there's no denying how successful it's been both financially and in the execution of such an ambitious plan. 

On 5/8/2019 at 12:03, Principal Flutie said:

Not sure why you've been told to ignore three of those four movies, given they're no more or less essential than ones that you're going to watch.

On 5/8/2019 at 12:24, Mr. Brightside said:

Also Ant-Man is fairly important to Endgame, although it is somewhat explained in Endgame.

I ended up watching both Ant-Man films. They were fun and the effects were really well done.

I'm off to see Endgame tonight. Binged on Ragnarok (great fun and refreshing to see Thor's character actually get fleshed out a bit) and Infinity War (enjoyed it and despite the content they had to fill in, it didn't feel that rushed or crammed) last night.

I skipped Doctor Strange by accident but I got the jist of the character and how he fits in. Might go back and watch that at some point though. Still patching Spider-Kid and Captain Marvel: Kevin Feige can't expect me to watch everything.

Robert Pattinson is set to play Batman - https://variety.com/2019/film/news/robert-pattinson-batman-matt-reeves-bruce-wayne-dc-comics-1203125473/
You've got to start thinking there is someone from Marvel on the inside at DC/WB - they surely couldn't be torpedoing their own films otherwise?
Not sure I see him as Batman but I'm sure with a bit of bulking up he'd do a great job. Absolutely superb actor, and his recent films have been fantastic. I think people hold a grudge against him due to his performances in Harry Potter and Twilight when he was younger but he has definitely came on leaps and bounds since then.

• 1 month later...