Au Revoir Arsene?

RandomGuy

Big decisions   

293 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its not good enough, Arsenal apparently dominated without Scoring. Or in other words, they played Gervinho. Wenger Knew the pressure on him to win trophies, and he knows how much a win would help, so to play a Weakened team is just not acceptable.

Its not good enough, Arsenal apparently dominated without Scoring. Or in other words, they played Gervinho. Wenger Knew the pressure on him to win trophies, and he knows how much a win would help, so to play a Weakened team is just not acceptable.

The problem is that there isn't enough pressure on him from the board. If they wind up in the top four, he's fine. And a substantial fans have just rolled over to have their tummies tickled on the issue as well. It's pathetic for a club that size to be happy with their lot, and fans like that deserve to have them.

The problem is that there isn't enough pressure on him from the board. If they wind up in the top four, he's fine. And a substantial fans have just rolled over to have their tummies tickled on the issue as well. It's pathetic for a club that size to be happy with their lot, and fans like that deserve to have them.

I can understand a lot of what Wenger has done, and I actually thought that with the signing of some experienced players and an improvement in the players (RvP apart, I think the squad is stronger this season than last), as well as some of the other, shitter, players properly frozen out, he was going in the right direction. I agree with you though, if I was on the board, I would not be happy with this result at all, regardless of it being a bit of a smash and grab result (apparently).

The domestic cups don't matter nearly as much as a top four place though. If a fan of a major club in England said "yeah well we won the Carling Cup three years ago" as they finished 6th they'd be laughed out of the room. The Champions League is the only place to be. If you can't win your domestic league just focus on finishing in a CL spot and forget the cups. Wenger understands this quite well.

The domestic cups don't matter nearly as much as a top four place though. If a fan of a major club in England said "yeah well we won the Carling Cup three years ago" as they finished 6th they'd be laughed out of the room. The Champions League is the only place to be. If you can't win your domestic league just focus on finishing in a CL spot and forget the cups. Wenger understands this quite well.

I agree with that.

I've said before that I regard a top 4 spot for Arsenal to be the equivalent of winning a cup. It's even more true for Tottenham, when they managed this twice in the last 3 seasons.

Not one side in the league wouldn't trade both cups for a top 4 slot if offered.

I agree with that.

I've said before that I regard a top 4 spot for Arsenal to be the equivalent of winning a cup. It's even more true for Tottenham, when they managed this twice in the last 3 seasons.

Not one side in the league wouldn't trade both cups for a top 4 slot if offered.

The really big clubs get both though. That`s the difference for me.

The really big clubs get both though. That`s the difference for me.

Arsenal don't spend as much as the other 3 of the big 4 though.

If they aren't 4th it will be a massive failure. That's the pressure for Wenger Who really cares about domestic cups though?

when I posted that, they were still in the FA Cup, so I'm unsure what you are feeling smug about.

The fact that you held onto this as a prospect of Arsenal achieving something. Much like the CL, or the Premiership, they had no prospect of doing well with the shit team they possess.

What an utter disaster of a season for Arsenal and their fanboys on here. Could bring a tear to a glass eye.

I don't think Wenger should get the boot,as he can only do the best with what he has.If it's

anything that's let him down over the years,then it's been his defense.

Until he finds a leader that will pull them together when times are tough,then he's always

going to struggle to get a decent run of form.Which is vital to them,if they want to be serious

contenders for the EPL.

I don't think Wenger should get the boot,as he can only do the best with what he has.If it's

anything that's let him down over the years,then it's been his defense.

Until he finds a leader that will pull them together when times are tough,then he's always

going to struggle to get a decent run of form.Which is vital to them,if they want to be serious

contenders for the EPL.

Isn`t that a bit of a contradiction. He is to large extent in control of "what he has" surely. It`s his job to find that leader and his job to pull together a strong defence. Arsenal are a big enough club for him to have done that.

Isn`t that a bit of a contradiction. He is to large extent in control of "what he has" surely. It`s his job to find that leader and his job to pull together a strong defence. Arsenal are a big enough club for him to have done that.

I think over the years he's tried to do that with signing Mertesacker,Vermaelen and Szczesny etc.But none of them had the same affect,as when he had the likes of Viera,Adams,Keown and Seaman.Those players are simply irreplaceable even with the budget he has or hasn't had.

If Wenger did leave.Then who would replace him,and have the same success as he did??

Piss poor result, no doubt about that, but I definitely agree that a Top 4 finish is definitely more of a priority to Wenger and Arsenal than a domestic trophy, the chance to play in the Champions League is far more appealing for prospective new players than having team-mates with an FA Cup winners medal on their mantlepiece, and the increased revenue is also of considerable more importance to the club long-term than a trophy in the cabinet.

What I can't ever remember seeing from any of the people who criticise and question Arsene Wenger is a prospective replacement? Who do people think could actually do a better job at Arsenal, with their current resources being significantly less than the clubs they are trying to compete with for the League and Champions League

I think over the years he's tried to do that with signing Mertesacker,Vermaelen and Szczesny etc.But none of them had the same affect,as when he had the likes of Viera,Adams,Keown and Seaman.Those players are simply irreplaceable even with the budget he has or hasn't had.

Well no. The reason why they haven't had an effect is because all three were utterly horseshit. And anyone who had seen Vermaelen or Mertesacker play (and wasn't a MOTD pundit creaming themselves over a defender being able to scored good goals) knew that they would do nothing to stem their defensive problems. Wenger bought utter shite and is now left with a piss-poor squad to show for it.

ellisdee, on 18 Feb 2013 - 12:13, said:

If Wenger did leave.Then who would replace him,and have the same success as he did??

I actually think over the piece Wenger has done a good job at Arsenal though he has signed some crap as outlined by others. Certainly a tough act to follow when he does eventually leave. In terms of finance and thus attracting players clearly being in the Champions League is a priority. I do however think that people tend to underestimate the importance of winning things when it comes to attracting and keeping top players. Players want to win things not just have coming 4th in the EPL being the marker of success.

Well no. The reason why they haven't had an effect is because all three were utterly horseshit. And anyone who had seen Vermaelen or Mertesacker play (and wasn't a MOTD pundit creaming themselves over a defender being able to scored good goals) knew that they would do nothing to stem their defensive problems. Wenger bought utter shite and is now left with a piss-poor squad to show for it.

So who would you replace him with???

Archived