Au Revoir Arsene?

RandomGuy

Big decisions   

293 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm pretty sure I debated this point in the summer and was proven wrong. There was an interview somewhere, the Arsenal board are willing to back him pretty much 100% with any tranfer dealings, he just chooses not too go for too much.

It's easy for them to say that though.

If Wenger had gone in during January and had asked for £20m to buy someone like Gary Cahill, do you think they would have given him it? Sure, they would probably have given him £5m to sign a guy like Sylvain Distin, but Wenger would probably see that as a waste of money for a guy who wouldn't be guaranteed a game.

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's easy for them to say that though.

If Wenger had gone in during January and had asked for £20m to buy someone like Gary Cahill, do you think they would have given him it? Sure, they would probably have given him £5m to sign a guy like Sylvain Distin, but Wenger would probably see that as a waste of money for a guy who wouldn't be guaranteed a game.

The interview was with Wenger I'm sure, it's not the sort of thing he'd lie about. It was port-ton who made the original comment, he'll probably be able to find it again

To me Arsene wenger is afraid to take Sir Alex Ferguson on. He comes out with the ' you may win now but in 5 years we will be superior' line but it's getting weary. They have the finances to take on the best in the EPL but Wenger doesn't take full advantage of his resources. /the board won't persist with him forever

Arsenal should defintely sack Arsene Wenger. Being 2nd in the League, in the League Cup Final and still in the Champions League and FA Cup is not good enough. Why has he not cured cancer yet? Is there not still a recession we can pin on him? What's he even doing about the troubles in Egypt right now?

Not good enough. Wenger out. :rolleyes:

Arsene Wenger hasn't mentioned anything about the potential of his side for at least two seasons now. At the start of each he has said that they are mature enough enough that they should be competing for honours now. I don't understand why people persist in throwing this party line in his face.

They have the finances to take on the best in the EPL but Wenger doesn't take full advantage of his resources. /the board won't persist with him forever

That's not true at all. Man City, Chelsea, Man U, Spurs & even Aston Villa spend masses more than Arsenal can. The financial doping of these clubs cannot be matched at the Emirates.

Maybe he's waiting till Barca, Chelsea & City are banned from Europe.

Arsenal had a few years when they invested heavily in their new Stadium, and have been paying off the debt for that, so they haven't had a lot of money to spend previously. But they've come through that, and they have a massive profitable stadium, a strong team, a new training ground, a youth policy, and in all that time, Arsenal never dropped out of the top four (despite being tipped as the ones to drop out every single season). Now they're in a position where they can pay big transfer fees again, they're running second in the league, play great football, and are in with a good shout of winning at least one prize this season, and people think Wenger should be sacked??

Madness!

RandomGuy in "totally fucking wrong" shocker. Nobody saw that coming.

Whether or not Arsenal can win the league, that they are still in with a shout when Man U have been all but invincible this season is a glowing endorsement of Wenger. Spurs have spent big and played attractively under Redknapp but they're definitely not going to win the league. Chelsea and Citeh have spent fortunes under managers with excellent pedigrees and yet neither of them are as likely to catch Man U as Arsenal are. Arsenal are on an excellent financial footing and are not known for sacking managers on a whim. Wenger has the job for life if he wants it, and he's the best man for the job.

That's not true at all. Man City, Chelsea, Man U, Spurs & even Aston Villa spend masses more than Arsenal can. The financial doping of these clubs cannot be matched at the Emirates.

Maybe he's waiting till Barca, Chelsea & City are banned from Europe.

Arsenal run at a huge profit, the stadiums almost paid off and the flats at Highbury square are selling. They are as financially strong as any of these clubs and Wenger was told he had £40, 000, 000 to spend this summer. How much of that did he spend?

RandomGuy in "totally fucking wrong" shocker. Nobody saw that coming.

Whether or not Arsenal can win the league, that they are still in with a shout when Man U have been all but invincible this season is a glowing endorsement of Wenger. Spurs have spent big and played attractively under Redknapp but they're definitely not going to win the league. Chelsea and Citeh have spent fortunes under managers with excellent pedigrees and yet neither of them are as likely to catch Man U as Arsenal are. Arsenal are on an excellent financial footing and are not known for sacking managers on a whim. Wenger has the job for life if he wants it, and he's the best man for the job.

Thumper in "getting over-excited at a chance to look smart" shocker....

If you actually read my posts i have said Arsenal should keep hold of Wenger, he's the best manager for the job. Not once have i said he should be sacked. I was merely raising the point that there's surely some out there starting to seriously doubt him

I don't agree with this.

When he has money to spend, before the Emirates was built, he spent big bucks on guys like Henry, Pires, Wiltord, Reyes and Jeffers amongst others. He probably has a bit of money now, but doesn't see the point in going out and signing another average player who wouldn't improve their squad. They are being priced out of the English market and have to look elsewhere for players, which means that he has to take bigger gambles than Man Utd, City and Chelsea who can bring in proven Premier League players.

People always say this about Wenger, like for some reason he hates spending money. If he could buy players who would improve his team he obviously would, but they can't. Man Utd, Chelsea and now City will all pay far more than Arsenal so all the real top players are priced out of their market and they are left with second rate players that none of the top clubs want. I feel sorry for him, he has worked wonders at that club, spent years building it up from the bottom only to see the likes of Chelsea and City taken over by stinking rich business men and buy their way above them in the league, it must be quite demoralising.

I don't mean it like he could sign Torres for £50M no bother, but I think he would be able to spend a large sum of money on a good player if he were to ask the board, he just chooses not to. I like the way he deals with transfers though, and I like him to take a more conservative approach, rather than lump millions on a player, but I'm sure he'd be able to compete with the likes of Chelsea and Man City if he wanted to.

(I could have made this up, so correct me if I'm wrong;) Arsenal are one of the only teams in the Premiership that are making annual profits.

I think he needs to go out and purchase two quality experienced centre backs, it's ok giving youth a shot and no doubt the young lads can knock the ball about but when it comes to defending they are pretty shocking.

I think he needs to go out and purchase two quality experienced centre backs, it's ok giving youth a shot and no doubt the young lads can knock the ball about but when it comes to defending they are pretty shocking.

Who would you suggest they go out and buy?

Squillaci seemed like a good experienced centre-back when they signed him, but he has been unable to adapt to English football and has been a disaster. You are always taking that gamble when bringing in players from abroad. And I'm not sure there are any "quality experienced centre backs" within the English game, aside from the ones already at big clubs who Arsenal would have no chance of buying.

I'm not bothered about whether he should go or not, but I think someone, somewhere, has to do something about his behaviour.

He has become a parody of himself when dealing with the press, incidents, other managers and players.

It's a shame because as good a manager as he may be, he will be remembered for being a blinkered nugget.

I'm not bothered about whether he should go or not, but I think someone, somewhere, has to do something about his behaviour.

He has become a parody of himself when dealing with the press, incidents, other managers and players.

It's a shame because as good a manager as he may be, he will be remembered for being a blinkered nugget.

He's openly said when he gives it the "I didn't see it" line that he often just doesn't want to comment on a decision. It's his way of either not getting into trouble or not publically criticising one of his players. I still find it crazy people get so wound up about it.

I also thought he was very dignified after Saturday, it'd have been easy for him to come out all guns blazing in the heat of the moment and blame the referee and linesman. But he just shrugged his shoulders, said his opinion wasn't important and that his team needed to do better.

What recent examples do you have, and is he any worse than other managers in this respect?

Archived