The Sopranos

yoda

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

Batters Benny and is married to Charmaine and her huge mams. He gets a pass. 

The correct and  saddest answer to that is Adrianna. The controversial answer is...... Tony. 

The joke is that all of them are pathetic but Artie's the most pathetic. 

9 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I don't think he is and I definitely don't think the show suggests that.  If you look at Artie's conclusion he is reconciled with Charmaine and the restaurant is doing well enough that an NFL coach is there for dinner. Compare to literally everyone else and he is the clear winner. 

The other big thing for Artie is that he doesn't have any major problems with his kids whereas Carmine jr, Jackie jr, Anthony jr, Bobby jr, Vito jr and the two Jasons are all complete f**k ups. 

I've been thinking about this rather than work all morning and even though Little Carmine is a dunce he does what Tony can't do and actually steps back from a path that is destroying him. Little Carmine tells Tony about the dream where his father is telling him to fill up the empty box and Tony says it means become boss and Carmine says no it means stop and be happy. Tony has been bombarded with symbolism, dreams and hallucinations for the entire show but has always used them to validate his criminal behaviour. Little Carmine has the insight to go the other way so AJ 'becoming' Little Carmine is a positive outcome.

Edited by Detournement

• 1 month later...
On 25/01/2019 at 10:38, LondonHMFC said:

Started watching this the other week on Sky Atlantic, they are showing two episodes every Thursday evening at 9pm.  

It is a programme I have put off watching for years, probably because I knew it would take up so much of my time. Just up to episode 6 now, and it is utterly fantastic. Even the Mrs has enjoyed it. She struggles to understand why I like Tony so much, and to an extent so do I, I guess it's just because he is "human". 

Favourite episode so far was the fourth, when the son finds out what his Dad is, that scene at the end, with both of them looking at each other with this playing in the background. Sensational stuff.

Just short of a year later and I have finished it. I'd like to confirm it would have been done a lot earlier if life hadn't got in the way. Thankfully due to being furloughed in November, I watched the whole thing from the start, finishing it up tonight. 

A very good series, and unique in many ways. For a programme that dealt with male mental health, drug abuse, relationship struggles, domestic abuse and god knows whatever else, it had some seriously funny parts. 

My overriding feelings towards most characters was a feeling of sadness. Chris especially, his final scene was heart-breaking. 

Tony Yells At Christopher - The Sopranos HD - YouTube

A brilliant scene. 

On 01/12/2020 at 21:36, NotThePars said:

dont know if it was on here but there was a really cool vid on YT about Artie, it flew over my head completely but most of the "specials" he cooks up for Tony, his family and his crew when they try to milk him for free meals like the crooks they are is cheap leftover shit that he's just cobbled together for them

the comments section on this vid goes into it

He generally is a bit of a bumblefuck but he has his moments at least.

I nominate Paulie, every single scene with him when they go to Italy is the definition of pathetic. Also lives in a shitbox and leads a completely miserable existence, like when he kneecaps the guy who has a healthier relationship with his mother than Paulie does with his out of pure spite.

On 01/12/2020 at 16:46, Detournement said:

I finished my Sopranos rewatch last night. It's definitely the best TV show ever.

The ending is genius. Schroedinger's Tony (signalled by the cat that shows up).

see i had thought that, because im sure its mentioned a couple of times that he's pretty much fucked with the feds and is either going to have to rat out his crew or he's going to be using a radiator to make grilled cheese sandwiches for 20 years

My thought was always that he dies of a sudden heart attack, same way as the guy on the treadmill in the last season which would kinda count as foreshadowing. Feels like that's the punchline to the constant GABBAGOOL he's seen munching through the show (pretty sure he used cocaine with Adrianna too at least?), think unless im going mad he has a brief coughing fit at the fridge in one scene in the last season and all. all that fear and stress of getting shot but its not a gunman that finishes him off, its his lack of material as a varsity athlete that does for him. I like it, and that's my headcanon.

The "HBO intern lost the footage" and "Jamal Ginsberg finally shows up to punch Tony's lights out hence the cut to black" theories are solid too tbf

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

58 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

dont know if it was on here but there was a really cool vid on YT about Artie, it flew over my head completely but most of the "specials" he cooks up for Tony, his family and his crew when they try to milk him for free meals like the crooks they are is cheap leftover shit that he's just cobbled together for them

the comments section on this vid goes into it

He generally is a bit of a bumblefuck but he has his moments at least.

I nominate Paulie, every single scene with him when they go to Italy is the definition of pathetic. Also lives in a shitbox and leads a completely miserable existence, like when he kneecaps the guy who has a healthier relationship with his mother than Paulie does with his out of pure spite.

There's also that scene with Christopher when Chris is bemoaning their lot in life and he's like "eh, so what?" 

Artie is just pathetic. Domineered by his wife which he lashes out at. His weird affection for Adrianna which gets totally rebuffed. He does in some sense want to be one of the boys as well but is essentially a lapdog. Didn't know that about the food which is funny in fairness.

He might objectively have turned out better than the members of Tony's crew but he's a coward and weak. Material gains doesn't determine worth and Artie's a worm, imo.

Edited by NotThePars

2 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

There's also that scene with Christopher when Chris is bemoaning their lot in life and he's like "eh, so what?" 

Artie is just pathetic. Domineered by his wife which he lashes out at. His weird affection for Adrianna which gets obviously rebuffed. He does in some sense want to be one of the boys as well but is essentially a lapdog. Didn't know that about the food which is funny in fairness.

He might objectively have turned out better than the members of Tony's crew but he's pathetic. Material gains doesn't determine worth and Artie's a worm, imo.

tbf he does have one of the more pathetic bits i can mind yeah, bottles it out of shooting Tony with the rifle which cements that he's going to be Tony's bitch for the rest of their relationship

11 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

see i had thought that, because im sure its mentioned a couple of times that he's pretty much fucked with the feds and is either going to have to rat out his crew or he's going to be using a radiator to make grilled cheese sandwiches for 20 years

My thought was always that he dies of a sudden heart attack, same way as the guy on the treadmill in the last season which would kinda count as foreshadowing. Feels like that's the punchline to the constant GABBAGOOL he's seen munching through the show (pretty sure he used cocaine with Adrianna too at least?), think unless im going mad he has a brief coughing fit at the fridge in one scene in the last season and all. all that fear and stress of getting shot but its not a gunman that finishes him off, its his lack of material as a varsity athlete that does for him. I like it, and that's my headcanon.

The "HBO intern lost the footage" and "Jamal Ginsberg finally shows up to punch Tony's lights out hence the cut to black" theories are solid too tbf

The 3 o'clock/Members Only/Bells/Barbers Scissors theory is the only one that has any balls as Chrissy might say. 

Season 6 started with Eugene killing Terry Sporakis in a diner while wearing a Members Only jacket and it ends with a guy in a Members Only jacket shooting Tony from 3 o'clock in a diner. 

There are loads more clues as well. There is the horrible scene where the garbage truck driver is beaten with a pipe in front of his son due to the feud between Tony and Phil and later both of them are killed in front of their families as well. None of this stuff happens by accident.

7 hours ago, Detournement said:

I still disagree on Artie. He gets a happy ending because he's a good guy.

He might be pathetic compared to Tony's outward appearance but he has a successful restaurant and a big titty wife so he's winning at life. 

Plenty of worms cruise through life. Henry Kissinger is like 140. 

• 2 months later...
On 31/03/2021 at 11:43, RH33 said:

Just watched final episode again, I've read theories on how it ends but never decided which is most likely!

I like the take that nothing happens. It's just meant to highlight that Tony's life is going to be like this til he dies or is arrested in his old age. This is what it's like to win for him. A life of decline and looking over his shoulder.

Ok. So I just ran through this whole thing for the first time.

I loved it. Fucking great tv. I have to say thought (even though I knew it was coming), that was the worst ending to a TV series I have ever seen.

I will read this thread tomorrow.

On 11/08/2013 at 22:24, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Fuxake. I was just watching Part Two tonight, for about the the 30th time and look what I just noticed.....

original.jpg

vlcsnap-000102.png

How the f**k did I miss that for all these fucking years?

what was this?

On 04/12/2013 at 12:53, scottsdad said:

Watched it twice - when first on and again in 2011. Next due in 2020 or thereabouts.

did you go again?

On 28/08/2014 at 03:18, Ludo*1 said:
  Hide contents

David Chase has came out and said that Tony Soprano didn't die in that final episode.

where was this? Everything I have read he basically says the opposite.

I am still not happy with the ending but I think the most likely ending is the dodgy guy who went from the bar to the pisser coming back out and blowing his brains out. 

33 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

what was this?

did you go again?

where was this? Everything I have read he basically says the opposite.

Aye, he's changed his tune since then it appears! Can't even remember posting that now so no idea where I got the source 7 year ago. :lol:

The episode "Funhouse" (the one where Pussy gets whacked) features Tony having delirious dreams after being poisoned by the Indian food.

After coming to from one his dreams(the one where he sees the dead Philly Parisi and he douses himself in petrol) he says "I should just kill myself, I've been so fucking depressed. It's all a big nothing."

Carmella says "What is?"

Tony "Life...EVERYTHING IS BLACK".