The Sopranos

yoda

It left it to your imagination there's also been rummors for years about a movie too but i would na hold your breth on that one

I was getting read for some gun fights in the diner,and them all getting killed.

I started watching it from the beginning (had never seen it before my flatmate was raving about it) on Sky Atlantic a few weeks ago, now seen the first 7 episodes and I'm really starting to like it. The opening titles just make the show itself, it's a great song and a very original and iconic idea. The best thing is I am guaranteed a new episode of the Sopranos every week for the next year and a half!:D

• 2 weeks later...

Great show, I am torn between it and the wire at the moment. James Gandolfini is superb in it but he is eclipsed by the actress who plays Carm who epitomizes all the angst and frustration of being a mob mole, they are two of the best performances I have seen on a TV show. The daughter, is a little disappointing though.

Watched this episode last night and it was the best so far:

4:13 onwards, interior decorator line biggrin.gif

Unfortunately that video cuts out Chris' arguably better reaction, someone can find better.

Edited by Supras

The daughter, is a little disappointing though.

:huh:

Meadow is one of the most beautiful girls I have ever seen on TV... her character may suck, but at one point she does a kind of striptease thing so all is forgiven ;)

:huh:

Meadow is one of the most beautiful girls I have ever seen on TV... her character may suck, but at one point she does a kind of striptease thing so all is forgiven ;)

I meant as an actress, and no she isn't.

I haven't got up that far.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished it, finally. What a spectacular piece of television it was. It got lost a bit in the middle, but it finished strong IMO.

An actual physical hatred had actually been established for AJ and Janice on my behalf <_< James Gandolfini is brilliant, but Edie Falco is the best throughout the entire run of it. Excellent viewing.

• 3 weeks later...

His sister taking either Ralphie or Richie Aprile up the erse with the dildo holding the gun to his head was a great comic moment though!

It was richie aprile that was into all the kinky shit

Until she shot him

Sylvio is my favourite character followed by Pauli

Aj is a little knob

Meadow is sexy

Jennifer Melfi is the biggest cocktease in the history of television

rape incident excluded

It annoys me that you never find out what happened to Furio

Edited by MONKMAN

It was richie aprile that was into all the kinky shit

Until she shot him

Sylvio is my favourite character followed by Pauli

Aj is a little knob

Meadow is sexy

Jennifer Melfi is the biggest cocktease in the history of television

rape incident excluded

It annoys me that you never find out what happened to Furio

It also annoys me how nothing ever happens to the man who raped Melfi.

I have to admit Series 4 was a bit of a disappointment.

Overall, I probably like it more than the Wire although admittedly less is going on and it is less realistic with regards to the FBI continually investigating them.

And put that Furio thing in spoliers, he was my favourite character sad.gif

I had heard Steve Buscemi was in it before I started the first season and I was always looking out for him and even thought he could be Ralphie at one point. Got him in the fifth, but you could scarcely think of a guy who looks less like a mobster.

• 1 month later...

Tony Soprano: [over the phone] It's a bad connection so I'm gonna talk fast! The guy you're looking for is an ex-commando! He killed sixteen Chechen rebels single-handed!

Paulie Gualtieri: Get the f**k outta here.

Tony: Yeah. Nice, huh? He was with the Interior Ministry. Guy's like a Russian green beret. He can not come back and tell this story. You understand?

Paulie: I hear you. [hangs up]

Paulie: You're not gonna believe this. He killed sixteen Czechoslovakians. Guy was an interior decorator.

Christopher Moltisanti: His house looked like shit.

The best conversation in TV history :lol:

Yeah, my favourite episode and that particular part was absolutely fantastic.

The penultimate episode of this season, Long Term Parking, is just about as good as The Sopranos gets. I shan't give anything away, but it is gut wrenchingly tense television.

Yep, you really didn't know where that episode was going to turn next.

Have to agree with you Mel.

I like "Luxury Lounge" some great cameos in that one & any epsiode with Little Carmine has got to be gold !!! I love his total disregard for the English language - he is a massive twat !!!!!

I read this on wikipedia but I never actually noticed it during the show, strange.

But I watched the entirety of the show in 2, 3 months and it is the best piece of television I have ever seen. As I posted earlier, it did dip a bit in the middle, but overall I would still place it above the wire. At its simplest it is just one guy dealing with a variety of problems that come up throughout his life but they handle it so well.

I also think it finished at the right time. Tony talking to Vitos son showed to me they really can't go anywhere else with it.

AJ does turn into a complete failure, right enough.

• 7 months later...

You're not really meant to like him though, he's a gangster.

It's the one thing that Goodfellas did to the gangster movie industry, keep the bad guy bad. Your symapthy was always meant to be with Carmella and what she was going through.

I don't think Carmela was a sympathetic character at all. The more the series progresses the more you see what a horrible person she is - when Tony buys her a new car she flashes it around to fellow mob wives, including Ginny who was going through getting her possessions sequestrated, but took the nip when she was gazumped by Angie, who earned her flash motor. She was also a complete boot to her daughter, clearly showing jealousy at the fact Meadow was able to make her own way in the world whereas she was tied to Tony. Also, her Catholicism is the worst kind of hypocrisy, a pseudo-religion widely practised by the Mafia both in the US and Sicily. The scene where she goes to the Jewish psychiatrist who tells her she is married to a depressed criminal and lives of blood money is about the only time she is actually confronted with what her life is.

For all his brutality, cruelty and viciousness I think Tony is actually a more sympathetic character at times than his wife. Maybe that says more about me than anything else :lol:

I don't think Carmela was a sympathetic character at all. The more the series progresses the more you see what a horrible person she is - when Tony buys her a new car she flashes it around to fellow mob wives, including Ginny who was going through getting her possessions sequestrated, but took the nip when she was gazumped by Angie, who earned her flash motor. She was also a complete boot to her daughter, clearly showing jealousy at the fact Meadow was able to make her own way in the world whereas she was tied to Tony. Also, her Catholicism is the worst kind of hypocrisy, a pseudo-religion widely practised by the Mafia both in the US and Sicily. The scene where she goes to the Jewish psychiatrist who tells her she is married to a depressed criminal and lives of blood money is about the only time she is actually confronted with what her life is.

For all his brutality, cruelty and viciousness I think Tony is actually a more sympathetic character at times than his wife. Maybe that says more about me than anything else :lol:

I'd have to agree with you. Carmella can be a right c**t at times as you've mentioned above. she has to be the centre of attention, like whenever anyone else is getting attention off Father Intintola, the sheer jelousy off her is ridiculous, a very odd relationship indeed.

i agree with you about carmela being venal and corrupted but she is a completely different case to tony. over the seasons she recognises her hypocrisies and at least attempts to improve herself even if she knows she will be with tony to the end.

tony goes in the opposite direction, he loses his humanity over the years and ends up a total monster. if you ever watch the final season and then go straight back to season one the change in him is incredible. in the earlier episodes he seems to be attempting to enjoy life as best he can while by the end he seems to care about nothing bar his kids.

this scene from chasing it in season six pretty much sums up tony and carmela's relationship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLgvvxmAP7k

this is why sopranos is superior to any other show for me. great actors playing complex characters.

Edited by T_S_A_R

• 2 months later...

Started watching this a few weeks ago. I'm at the start of season 4. The scene with Ralph and Janice in bed with the vibrator was revolting. The sound effects made it tenfold worse.