The Sopranos

yoda

Finally got round to watching Many Saints last night.

A bit meh. Perhaps would have been better as a fleshed out TV 3 or 4 parter. A half decent period piece rather than a decent prequel. Livia, Janice, Young Tony and Uncle Jun were all good. Dickie was unconvincing and Silvio was a pisstake, something you would expect in an actual parody of the show.

6/10 never lived up to the hype. A sequel to this might be better though, chuck in Jackie and Ritchie Aprile, Tony B and Ralph Ciffareto, Johnny Sac etc.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Tony Sirico has sadly passed away at the age of 79. Paulie was one of the greatest characters in TV IMO. He had a very interesting, well publicised life before becoming an actor too which made his part in the Sopranos even more fascinating. A sad yin. 

Edited by Fratelli

Finally got round to watching Many Saints last night.
A bit meh. Perhaps would have been better as a fleshed out TV 3 or 4 parter. A half decent period piece rather than a decent prequel. Livia, Janice, Young Tony and Uncle Jun were all good. Dickie was unconvincing and Silvio was a pisstake, something you would expect in an actual parody of the show.
6/10 never lived up to the hype. A sequel to this might be better though, chuck in Jackie and Ritchie Aprile, Tony B and Ralph Ciffareto, Johnny Sac etc.
Yeah thought the same. Was completely underwhelmed by it, and pretty disappointed.

Tony Sirico has sadly passed away at the age of 79. Paulie was one of the greatest characters in TV IMO. He had a very interesting, well publicised life before becoming an actor too which made his part in the Sopranos even more fascinating. A sad yin. 
Sad news. Without doubt my favourite character.

• 3 weeks later...

Following a positive COVID result yesterday morning, I am quarantining at home for the next 10 days (the UAE still has very strict rules) and thus starting back at the beginning of The Sopranos.  

Just watched the fifth episode of the first season - College

What an episode - I had completely forgotten just how good.  The conversations between Tony and his daughter; the dynamic between Carmella and the priest; and even Christopher beginning to show a bit of maturity after four episodes of being a bit of a clown...

Devastated to learn of the death of Tony Sirico.  His portrayal of Paulie is almost perfect.  Sadly, given the age of much of the cast when it was filmed and the amount of time that has passed since (incredibly, it is now almost 24 years since the pilot was originally aired) a load of cast members have passed on:

Article listing all of the Sopranos stars that have died

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 29/07/2022 at 10:57, arab_joe said:

Following a positive COVID result yesterday morning, I am quarantining at home for the next 10 days (the UAE still has very strict rules) and thus starting back at the beginning of The Sopranos.

So I managed to re-watch all 86 episodes between 27 July and 18 August - it reaffirmed, in my eyes, that no show has come close to it since it last aired in 2007.

On 06/09/2022 at 19:32, Mark Connolly said:

I'm coming to the end of S1, and I'm convinced Tony's mother is the most evil human being ever to exist

A great character - a real shame that we never got to see the Tony/Livia relationship play out in full.

4 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

What a fucking show.

Can't argue with that!