The Sopranos

yoda

I just think there's enough clear evidence that it's not ambiguous. It's impossible that all the context setting up that specific outcome is coincidental. 

There will always be people who will say it's not definite unless it's explicit but if you follow that logic all David Lynch movies or Thomas Pynchon books are meaningless.

• 4 weeks later...

I wish Sky would stop showing this, I can't stop myself from having a peak and end up hooked again. The last few episodes are mesmerising (AJ stuff aside). Some of the music choices to close episodes out are inspired also.

Like this;

Edited by Jupiter Jazz

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Frank Sobotka said:

HWFG

Looks absolutely terrible. 

Dickie Moltisanti should look like he's got nicotine, heroin and whisky coming out of every pore but he looks like he stepped out of GQ.

Fingers crossed they made it look shite because that's what people love these days.

8 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Looks absolutely terrible. 

Dickie Moltisanti should look like he's got nicotine, heroin and whisky coming out of every pore but he looks like he stepped out of GQ.

Fingers crossed they made it look shite because that's what people love these days.

Nah it looks fine. Young Gandolfini has the mannerisms down, we'll get a bit lore and fan service.

It's also just a 2 minute trailer, it'll be fine, stop being needlessly contrarian for the sake of it.

16 hours ago, Frank Sobotka said:

Nah it looks fine. Young Gandolfini has the mannerisms down, we'll get a bit lore and fan service.

It's also just a 2 minute trailer, it'll be fine, stop being needlessly contrarian for the sake of it.

People are saying the movie is mainly about Dickie and the trailer is misleading people who might be casual fans into thinking it's a Tony origin story. 

I'm still well excited for this but I actually think it will be better if it's something like Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me which barely featured any characters from the TV show and had a totally different tone rather than going for fan service. But on the other hand I've been wanting to know more about what 'the old man' Erricoli De Meo was like for 20 years so bring it on. 

As long as there are a few shots of guys sitting about in terrible clothes I'll be happy. 

image.thumb.png.c228f17a52024908a78b40fea77fe844.png

I am not into the gifted child shit that looks like it’s lifted from every Twitter media personality loser’s therapy sessions but I’m holding out hope that like a lot of decent movies they have hacks doing the trailer work. A story about Tony being a gifted child led astray just doesn’t hit.

2 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I am not into the gifted child shit that looks like it’s lifted from every Twitter media personality loser’s therapy sessions but I’m holding out hope that like a lot of decent movies they have hacks doing the trailer work. A story about Tony being a gifted child led astray just doesn’t hit.

I think it does. Tony was a leader and was naturally very intelligent. His mother was an absolute boot, so it’s one of the things I like about how this is shaping up.

I think there’s so much that can be done. We could get series about Johnny Boy and Junior, explorations of the New York families, a story about the mafia in the modern age etc etc etc.

hope this is the beginning of something, but I do feel it’s much better suited to a series than a film.

On 02/07/2021 at 18:41, NotThePars said:

I’ve got faith in David Chase to do something funny with it the way he basically satirised Trump ID pol guys with Tony’s crew getting deeply frustrated at anti-Italian discrimination.

There is a basis in history for this.  In the 1960s the Italian American Civil Rights League was created by Joe Colombo, who at that point was the boss of the Colombo crime family, the most notoriously violent of New York's Five Families.   The group picketed media companies and organisations it saw as perpectuating stereotypes of Italian Americans, mainly that they were mobsters.  The fact that the league was founded by a mobster and most of the senior officers were also mobsters was never really commented on.  The League even held rallies with tens of thousands of attendees.  Sadly, during one of these rallies Joe Colombo was shot several times by an assassin, who was in turn immediately killed by his bodyguards.  No-one was ever convicted or ordering the murder but it was very likely orchestrated by Crazy Joe Gallo, a notorious Colombo family mobster who was seeking to control the family and the heroin trade in New York.

I don't think the Leauge lasted long after that but there are legit Italian organisations who campaign against stereotypes and mafia protrayals - these organisations targeted the Sopranos itself when it first aired and have also made complaints about Jersey Shore when it was on.  The targeting lead Chase and the team to write a minor storyline into the script, Dr Melfti's ex husband is a campaigner against mafia portrayals of Italians.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

...The targeting lead Chase and the team to write a minor storyline into the script, Dr Melfti's ex husband is a campaigner against mafia portrayals of Italians.

Same actor as Michael from Mean Streets so a certain irony to that:

• 2 months later...

Watched it all again in prep for Friday.

It's still brilliant although on repeat it's easy to FF through Meadow's dalliance with the moulinyan in S4 (particularly in "University") and Carmella's crush on Vic Musso and her fling with David Strathairn.

Also Christopher leads a charmed life throughout. He shoots a guy in the foot in public with impunity (Tony knows about it so someone must have seen what happened)...he knocks fuck out of the guy at acting class with no repercussions,  shoots an ex-cop in his own home but doesn't do a Satriale's special on his body, same with JT Dolan who is his AA sponsor yet when CM kills him there's no investigation.

In fact there's plenty of deaths where everything just goes on as normal (Tony killing the travel agent rat, Pussy killing Elvis, Tony2 knocking fuck out of the Korean guy and killing Joe Peeps and Billy Leotardo, Silvio strangling another rat in his own house...etc) so it's not without its faults.

Still, the best TV series ever made.