Boardwalk Empire

Quentin Taranbino

Although the last episode tied alot of the lose ends up for a finale i thought it was rather tame. been far better episodes throughout the series. All in all a great tv show don't know how i was expecting it to finish. I agree it was a good twist at the end.

It felt more like an extended epilogue to me. I was expecting more tbh. It wasn't bad but it wasn't great either imo.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Been battering through this again on Sky's Box Sets On Demand. Such a great series. Season 3 in particular was brilliant from start to finish. Although a complete c**t, Gyp Rosetti was such a great character.

My top five characters though are;

1/ Nielson Van Alden

2/ Richard

3/ Eddie the butler

4/ Al Capone

5/ Nucky

Chalky White just missing out.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 26/03/2020 at 01:59, JamieStevenson said:

Very late to the party but binged this over the past week. Superb show. Richard Harrow was a delightful character and couldn't help but route for him.

The Wire is next for me.

Excellent choice you’ll love it 

• 3 months later...

Been rewatching this the last few weeks, exceptional telly. Performances are pretty much all top drawer, always exciting and thought provoking. I love the little details and micro storylines though. The episode where Eddie and Al Capone's brother hang out for the day is just brilliant

On 26/03/2020 at 01:59, JamieStevenson said:

Very late to the party but binged this over the past week. Superb show. Richard Harrow was a delightful character and couldn't help but route for him.

The Wire is next for me.

The scene where Jimmy's wife draws his portrait with the  beautiful music of Kitty Berger is outstanding.

10 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Still one of my favourite ever TV scenes. Steven Graham is something else.

I think this show does passage of time and development of characters better than almost anything else. There's minor characters like Paul who goes from being an old drunk to having to step up and help look after Tommy, to a pretty cool dude after he realises he's dying. Obviously it's similar with major characters like Nucky, Margaret, Van Alden and Gillian.

But  I think it's at it's best with the sort of heavily recurring characters - Meyer and Luciano, Eddie, Capone off the top of my head. Mickey Doyle as well. I've always thought looking back that he was a hapless oaf but watching it again he gets so much smarter as the series goes on and you can believe that he's the one slimeball who makes it to the end.  

That scene is an absolute classic. The one sort of triumphant "yeah shits going to go down, the cool guys are all teaming up" moment in the series but it doesn't feel like some comic book overhyped pish, it's true to the characters.

• 3 years later...

Now that Mrs F_P and I have ploughed through Mad Men, our new box set de nos jours is Boardwalk Empire. We're 6 episodes into S.1 and enjoying it very much.

She struck up a conversation last night with "There were no boobs on show in Mad Men but in this one, they can't move for tits..."

On 20/03/2024 at 14:18, Florentine_Pogen said:

Now that Mrs F_P and I have ploughed through Mad Men, our new box set de nos jours is Boardwalk Empire. We're 6 episodes into S.1 and enjoying it very much.

She struck up a conversation last night with "There were no boobs on show in Mad Men but in this one, they can't move for tits..."

Sexy Mad Men GIF
you wot?

On 22/03/2024 at 15:43, mathematics said:

Sexy Mad Men GIF
you wot?

Point taken, maths, but the Mrs. was referring to the lengths actors were going to in Mad Men to ensure there was absolutely no uncovered breast shots, especially in bedroom scenes............which was feckin' ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Point taken, maths, but the Mrs. was referring to the lengths actors were going to in Mad Men to ensure there was absolutely no uncovered breast shots, especially in bedroom scenes............which was feckin' ridiculous.

Reminds me of the recurring Armstrong and Miller sketches.

On 11/10/2015 at 22:00, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

Been battering through this again on Sky's Box Sets On Demand. Such a great series. Season 3 in particular was brilliant from start to finish. Although a complete c**t, Gyp Rosetti was such a great character.

My top five characters though are;

1/ Nielson Van Alden

2/ Richard

3/ Eddie the butler

4/ Al Capone

5/ Nucky

Chalky White just missing out.

Arnold Rothstein  ! ! !

Capone oot !