The get fit, stay fit thread

I have also begun cardio training again, ran 1.25km the other day and was absolutely goosed with it.  I found MapMyRun has all my old runs saved, I'm about one minute a KM slower now.  I had an ashtma flare up a coupel fo weeks ago so had to knock any cardio on the head but am going to persist with it.  I've been lazy just concentrating on lifting weights and neglecting conditioning.

1 hour ago, Jives Miguel said:

How does one get over gym anxiety? I want to start lifting, but I feel very, very insecure and awkward in the free weight sections in gyms especially when they're busy.

If you don't like going when they are busy then go when it's a bit quieter and get used to it, work out how to use everything and that will make you more confident when it's busy.  As noted above though, I doubt anyone is fussed about how other people look or anything like that.  People who are serious about lifting weights are concentrating on what they are doing.  If anyone is looking at you and judging you then you can be safe in the knowledge that they are a dickhead.

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I have also begun cardio training again, ran 1.25km the other day and was absolutely goosed with it.  I found MapMyRun has all my old runs saved, I'm about one minute a KM slower now.  I had an ashtma flare up a coupel fo weeks ago so had to knock any cardio on the head but am going to persist with it.  I've been lazy just concentrating on lifting weights and neglecting conditioning.

If you don't like going when they are busy then go when it's a bit quieter and get used to it, work out how to use everything and that will make you more confident when it's busy.  As noted above though, I doubt anyone is fussed about how other people look or anything like that.  People who are serious about lifting weights are concentrating on what they are doing.  If anyone is looking at you and judging you then you can be safe in the knowledge that they are a dickhead.

Yeah as iv gotten older, I genuinely don't give a single f**k about what others see in the gym. I go there and put my all into whatever I do. If your not a sweaty, shattered mess at the end of a session in the gym, iv got more questions for you than you have for me. Thankfully in my gym, if anyone got wide or judgy, the owner would be directly into them before anyone else had a chance. 

If anyone is anxious about a section, get a trainer to go over it with you and set you up. That's what they are there for. 

I do have to say though, I do think gym anxiety is much more common than that brand of arsehoke behaviour tbh. 

Tried a run at midday, only got 3k in before the heat killed it and me. Did another 2km of stop start with shorter, faster(ha!) bursts.

When it comes to the gym, forget anyone else when you're working out. Try find a zone to focus in and ignore all else. For me, it's a particular playlist that helps me. 

• 5 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

Anyone recommend a good tasting shake / drink as a meal replacement? Looking to take the thinking out of lunch and avoid hunger-induced chippy buying 

Although i haven't Tried or tasted it myself, my boss was praising his dinner of a chocolate Huel drink he had earlier on, he also said the banana one is very tasty too

(I had a beef randang curry and know which one i'd prefer if offered a choice)

ill probably give them a go for lunch at some point though 

On 09/07/2023 at 21:32, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

Anyone recommend a good tasting shake / drink as a meal replacement? Looking to take the thinking out of lunch and avoid hunger-induced chippy buying 

I like the McDonald’s strawberry shake but f**k trying to find a restaurant with an operational ice-cream and shake machine.

On 09/07/2023 at 21:32, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

I wouldn’t be taking a shake instead of actual food you will be dropping a lot of calories from a chippy to a shake. I would go somewhere in the  middle, a wrap/protein yoghurts etc. I get an easy 60g of protein at lunch with a sandwich/wrap with around 20g or sometimes more, then a protein yoghurt another 20g of protein and a protein bar again 20g or so. 

Some suggestions of ones that I've had:

https://ufitdrinks.com/products/ufit-22g-high-protein-shake-drink-12x310ml-exclusive?currency=GBP&variant=45387496456465&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gad=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4tzFqaSJgAMV5BEGAB3COgjmEAQYAyABEgKKXvD_BwE

22g protein, 166 calories

They taste quite good for protein shakes. 

https://www.nutracheck.co.uk/CaloriesIn/Product/81/Lidl+Milbona+High+Protein+Chocolate+Drink+332ml#url

35g protein, 222 calories

https://groceries.aldi.co.uk/en-GB/p-bakoma-protein-yogurt-strawberry-230g/5900197030000

23g protein, 170 calories

The Lidl and Aldi ones don't taste very nice, I have to say. They serve a purpose but I didn't find them enjoyable, as they tasted a bit like the plastic bottle that they come in. 

Do get your protein from food if you can, as you'll find it more filling, especially if you can increase fibre intake as well. Even then, why not have both? 

On 09/07/2023 at 13:32, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

I honestly forget whether mine is Protein World or MyProtein but it tastes pretty good all things considered (not helpful)

I've tried the pre mixed huel ones once or twice when I was in a rush and they were awful imo, strange texture and tasted like pure sweetener (a bit helpful?)

Just a few weeks ago I was struggling to get under 30 minutes for a 5k, this one was 27:01 and done a bit extra, still stop start though can't even imagine running a full 5k without stopping but that's one of the goals I've set, pretty chuffed with this.

Screenshot_20230718_163120_Runkeeper.jpg

Been out running a fair bit but I've hurt my Achilles. I've been wearing an ankle support through the day and stopped running for the time being. Anybody know how long this takes to heal? Or if there's anything else I should be doing to help it heal quickly?

I tore my pec muscle while benching back in November last year, only having my wisdom teeth out has hurt more.  After an ultrasound, an MRI scan and lots of waiting, I was told in January it was a minor tear and not enough to be repaired by operation. The sturgeon pretty much said "just live your life, go back to the gym and if it hurts, stop, if it really hurts come back and see me"

I've been trying to build my bench up to get to 135lb (60 ish kg), I was feeling confident the other week and went for 1 rep of 135, it felt OK until half way back up, then it felt like my pec muscle folded over on itself, strange sensation, so now I'd scared to go above 100lb (45kg) and even then I'm using a folded yoga mat so the bar isn't going all the way down to my chest.

Anyway to the point. Wondering if anyway has suffered this injury (non surgery pec tear)? How long to it take it feel "normal" again and is it always just going to hurt? I've searched online for advice but everything I find is talking above post op recovery

55 minutes ago, Torpar said:

Anyway to the point. Wondering if anyway has suffered this injury (non surgery pec tear)? How long to it take it feel "normal" again and is it always just going to hurt? I've searched online for advice but everything I find is talking above post op recovery

Try doing more on your shoulders and triceps. Once you've built them upcq little decline/inclined press. It may simply be you are over stimulating the same muscle to exhaustion.