The get fit, stay fit thread

1 hour ago, buchan30 said:

I fucking hate burpees. I have been going to “Fuse” classes now for almost 9 months and really enjoy them. We do a leg day, a challenge day, an upper body day and boxing. 8x 90 second rounds with 30 seconds rest inbetween. Then a 5 minute cardio finisher, this mornings was 200 reps. 50 high knees, 50 mountain climbers, 25 burpees, 25 squats, 25 stand to planks, 25 sit ups. I done everything else but only managed 3 burpees. I used to hate going to the gym, but now i love it. I lost a stone and a half between august and December, since then, weight wise i have really struggled again. I haven’t managed to get my mindset right with food since Christmas and having two isolations, back when they were a thing.

Same. 

I got told a good one on burpees that helped me a bit. Unless you are going to absolutely hammer into the jump at the end, save the energy and don't do it. You'll get no benefit from a half-arsed jump except draining more energy.

I took that on board and when previously in a 45 second circuit round, I could only maybe manager 3 or 4, I'm now doing about 8-10 that whilst not as high intensity, I feel better doing as they are far more movement.

Today in the 10, 9, 8s, there was no rest period until we passed 6. For me the burpees section was more like 10, 8, 6, 5, 4 :lol: 

Same. 
I got told a good one on burpees that helped me a bit. Unless you are going to absolutely hammer into the jump at the end, save the energy and don't do it. You'll get no benefit from a half-arsed jump except draining more energy.
I took that on board and when previously in a 45 second circuit round, I could only maybe manager 3 or 4, I'm now doing about 8-10 that whilst not as high intensity, I feel better doing as they are far more movement.

Today in the 10, 9, 8s, there was no rest period until we passed 6. For me the burpees section was more like 10, 8, 6, 5, 4 [emoji38] 
I have just 2 minutes completed an adapted version. I did star jump, plank Jack's, burpees, squat jumps and sit ups. No room in my gym to run any distance so did 4 x 50kg sled push instead. Astro section prob about 10 to 12 yards in length. I am absolutely destroyed here man

9 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
28 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:
Same. 

Today in the 10, 9, 8s, there was no rest period until we passed 6. For me the burpees section was more like 10, 8, 6, 5, 4 emoji38.png 

I have just 2 minutes completed an adapted version. I did star jump, plank Jack's, burpees, squat jumps and sit ups. No room in my gym to run any distance so did 4 x 50kg sled push instead. Astro section prob about 10 to 12 yards in length. I am absolutely destroyed here man

Some going. It's a killer!

Any of you did an Ultra before? Got one from Carlisle to Newcastle in a few weeks time and shitting myself. 70 miles all in.

I’ve clocked up decent mileage this year and managed to get a 22 minute marathon PB as part of my training so hopefully everything stands me in good stead.

Could have lost more weight leading upto it but still in good shape and fit which is main thing. Food has been my only enjoyment out of the last few months as I have been off the booze while training for this!

• 2 weeks later...

might be best in here rather than general quick question...

Any recommendations for best "all-in-one" fitness  / calorie tracking app? I used to use my fitness pal which was good for calorie tracking but I think the exercise tracking part of that was rubbish, double counted a lot of stuff and very faffy to sync.

I have Samsung Health on my phone which links well with my samsung watch but the food tracking bit is very hit and miss compared to MFP.

Are there better options out there that do both or at least sync up well?

I know you don't need either of these things but I find it helps keep me motivated when I track activity and consumption.

Edited by Fuctifano

9 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

might be best in here rather than general quick question...

Any recommendations for best "all-in-one" fitness  / calorie tracking app? I used to use my fitness pal which was good for calorie tracking but I think the exercise tracking part of that was rubbish, double counted a lot of stuff and very faffy to sync.

I have Samsung Health on my phone which links well with my samsung watch but the food tracking bit is very hit and miss compared to MFP.

Are there better options out there that do both or at least sync up well?

I know you don't need either of these things but I find it helps keep me motivated when I track activity and consumption.

I've been looking for an all in 1 app since I started back at the gym. I've currently got MFP for calories, Fitnotes for the gym and the UnderArmour Map my Walk app. 

On 14/03/2022 at 20:17, Ross. said:

Using the basement room most nights now. Current routine is a superset of:

20 press ups
10 curls
30 crunches
10 hammer curls
40 heel touches
30 squats
10 reps chest press
30 Russian twists.

Repeat 3 times with a couple of minutes between each set. Press ups I alternate between normal and decline each day, Curls/hammers I use 10kg/9kg/8kg, squats I do 7k each set, chest I’m currently 23kg/18kg/14kg and twists with 5kg. Also follow it up with 5-10k on the cross trainer depending on how much time I have and what game I am watching on the TV at the time.

Routine is perhaps a little top heavy and I should add more legs, but finding it a reasonable routine and seeing a noticeable difference in my core and chest especially.

Still sticking to the same routine, with the weights increased a little for most of it. Should probably add or change it a little but I am still managing without getting bored or finding it too easy. Not quite "Best shape of my life" material but definitely noticing the results now compared to when I started out. Usually downstairs 5 or 6 nights a week.

Me and the Mrs head into the gym tonight and go to one of the machines that’s empty. She starts using the left side and in the middle of her set this huge monster of a guy appears and literally grabs the bar and unclips it from the machine and takes it to the other side to use. Never seen anything like it in my life. I instinctively saw red but luckily she realised I would’ve received the absolute hiding of my life if attempting to take on this boy and his roid rage and stared me down. He then continued to alternate between doing a dumbbell exercise at the other side of the gym, then coming back over and taking over the machine she was using whenever he needed on. Wild stuff, what a c**t.

Anyway, in other news, I’ve managed to bulk up now from my usual slim build, but have also taken on some belly weight. Now in the tough position of wanting to maintain the muscle but cut the belly fat, not enough time in the week to continue doing the weights workouts but start upping the cardio.

Fucking hell I'm a soft auld duffer now....

Finished a session on the bags today and got the trainer to show me some kicks as he is well versed in kickboxing. After a good few attempts of shitting out of landing a shin on the bag, he went on the mat with me to throw some kicks at him, and stuck one right on my left leg.

Genuinely wanted to just cry and go home.

Played seven a side for the first time in years last week. Was burst afterwards but really enjoyed and promised myself I would get back into playing regularly.

Went back this week and pulled my groin after about 5 minutes. Could only hobble about in goals for the rest of the game and will probably be out for a few weeks.

So fucking frustrating.

Carrying on with the attempt to train some kicks, I got a list of 6 sets of combos to do as my bag routine, and also to do a few rounds of floor grappling with a sandbag. Think the bag weighs about 80 kilo. Absolute fucking killer.

Think my shins are slowly beginning to respond to the punishment though.

Managed my ultra marathon yesterday, Carlisle to Newcastle. 70 miles all in.

Absolutely horrendous incline with 5,000 ft total elevation. Blisters on my feet from 33 miles in, the medical team popped them but advised they’d come back worse and my god they didn’t half.

Could barely move from mile 45 but had an emergency anti chafe tube the medical team gave me so got rid of my compeeds at mile 62 and covered myself in it and hobbled the last 8 miles.

I’m a broken man today but the medal is in the bag!

47 minutes ago, KD1711 said:

Managed my ultra marathon yesterday, Carlisle to Newcastle. 70 miles all in.

Absolutely horrendous incline with 5,000 ft total elevation. Blisters on my feet from 33 miles in, the medical team popped them but advised they’d come back worse and my god they didn’t half.

Could barely move from mile 45 but had an emergency anti chafe tube the medical team gave me so got rid of my compeeds at mile 62 and covered myself in it and hobbled the last 8 miles.

I’m a broken man today but the medal is in the bag!

70 miles ? That sounds fucing insane and borderline dangerous no? 

What worth of pace do you do in a run like that?

70 miles ? That sounds fucing insane and borderline dangerous no? 
What worth of pace do you do in a run like that?

Average pace overall was 19.09 per mile.

My first marathon was around 6 hours then after that I had an absolutely mental stretch up Hadrians wall. The hills for the first 30 odd miles were brutal as they were very steep going up and going down you couldn’t run as you would just lose your footing.

I was feeling really fresh from miles 40-44 and ran that to the last checkpoint, but then I changed socks and the blisters were awful.

At night time it was dangerous I’d say as for around 15 miles you were going along small villages on the riverside and at one point I nearly fell at a really narrow part into the river as I lost my footing a bit due to poor lighting. That’s only criticism of it.

Pain wise today I just have awful blisters (my feet wouldn’t look out of place on a cigarette packet) but got it done and that’s the main thing.

• 1 month later...

I have always thought I ate enough protein but I decided to measure how much I was eating and I was actually eating a bit less than I'd thought, so I've started tracking how much I eat.  Anyone got good practical tips for getting more protein into the diet?  

6 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I have always thought I ate enough protein but I decided to measure how much I was eating and I was actually eating a bit less than I'd thought, so I've started tracking how much I eat.  Anyone got good practical tips for getting more protein into the diet?  

https://sushi-guide.co.uk/protein-sushi/

50 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I think the recommendation is to eat 1-1.5g per kilo you weigh.

I have been on a plan since my ultramarathon as I weighed in at 131kg the week after, now down to 117.5kg since.

I have the Great North Run on the 12th of September and I'm hoping to get in around 105ish for that, and chase a PB. Started on 2700 cals per week and 180g protein and been gradually cutting down about 100 calories a week. Not feeling too bad hunger wise and think that the max cals I will be dropping down to will be around 2200 as my output is generally quite high, been doing around 4x runs and 4x gym sessions a week.

Was already getting to be a bit of a fat, unfit b*****d before covid hit and lockdown basically nuked whatever fitness I had left. I've been going back to the gym and getting back into running and I've given myself a target of doing a 5k in under 30 minutes (on the treadmill) by the end of 2022. Managed to get down to 34:07 today, which is over 10 mins faster than my first full 5k of the year a few months ago, so I'm getting there.

I used to be able to do a 5k in about 22/23 minutes. Jesus, I did not appreciate how fast that was at the time.