The get fit, stay fit thread

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/mar/06/fascist-fitness-how-the-far-right-is-recruiting-with-online-gym-groups

"Researchers have detected a network of online “fascist fitness” chat groups on the messaging app Telegram with a large number directly linked to the neo-Nazi Patriotic Alternative, Britain’s biggest extreme right group."

Are any of P&B's 'swole alpha chads' (copyright ICTChris) bulking up in anticipation of becoming a violent, far-right arsehole ?

• 2 weeks later...

Today I started to throw in some bench pressing to my work out. 

Just watched some videos on good form and most are telling me to arch my lower back. Why? I don't want to cheat to lift more, I want good form to be able to start building upper body strength and with that, maybe help shape myself a little better? 

37 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Just watched some videos on good form and most are telling me to arch my lower back. Why? I don't want to cheat to lift more, I want good form to be able to start building upper body strength and with that, maybe help shape myself a little better? 

That's not cheating...that is the proper form.

Arch your back, pinch your shoulder blades together, plant your feet on the floor, then lift.

Touch the bar to your chest at nipple level at the bottom of the rep, finishing position should be directly above your neck/chin at the top of the rep. Don't fully lock your elbows at the top (if you do it's your bones that are taking the weight at the top of the rep and not the muscle, and you'll ruin your elbows if you get to the point where you're lifting heavy), and don't flare your elbows out to the side when you lower the bar (or you'll ruin your shoulders/rotator cuff).

Start very very light....don't be afraid to start with just the bar and get the feeling of the movement ingrained, then it will stay with you as you gradually add weight over time.

Edited by Al B

It helps stop you try to throw your shoulders up to help the bar up, that wpuld be cheating. If your back is arched and your feet are planted, nothing is lifting that bar except chest. It will also help prevent you from getting injured IMO

5 minutes ago, Al B said:

Just now, Bairnardo said:
42 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

It helps stop you try to throw your shoulders up to help the bar up, that would be cheating. If your back is arched and your feet are planted, nothing is lifting that bar except chest. It will also help prevent you from getting injured IMO

4 minutes ago, Al B said:

That's not cheating...that is the proper form.

Arch your back, pinch your shoulder blades together, plant your feet on the floor, then lift.

Touch the bar to your chest at nipple level at the bottom of the rep, finishing position should be directly above your neck/chin at the top of the rep. Don't fully lock your elbows at the top (or you'll ruin your elbows if you get to the point where you're lifting heavy), and don't flare your elbows out to the side when you lower the bar (or you'll ruin your shoulders/rotator cuff).

It just sounds a bit weird, but will give it a shot tomorrow.  Thanks for the advice guys. 

On 26/01/2022 at 11:12, ICTChris said:

I generally use the gym for weight training only and have been trying to get in more steps walking each day.  The generic target is 10,000 steps but I find it really hard to hit that, espeically working from home and being in a sedentary job.  Last month I did an overtime shift one Sunday and my step count was less than 500 for the day, which is ridiculous.  

Anyone got any good tips for getting more walking time in?

Buy a dog. 

Using the basement room most nights now. Current routine is a superset of:

20 press ups
10 curls
30 crunches
10 hammer curls
40 heel touches
30 squats
10 reps chest press
30 Russian twists.

Repeat 3 times with a couple of minutes between each set. Press ups I alternate between normal and decline each day, Curls/hammers I use 10kg/9kg/8kg, squats I do 7k each set, chest I’m currently 23kg/18kg/14kg and twists with 5kg. Also follow it up with 5-10k on the cross trainer depending on how much time I have and what game I am watching on the TV at the time.

Routine is perhaps a little top heavy and I should add more legs, but finding it a reasonable routine and seeing a noticeable difference in my core and chest especially.

I forgot my headphones today when I went to the gym so had to work out without them.  I was doing deadlifts and I make a bit of a noise when I do them but overall I didn't cause any offence.

When I went to get showered and changed, there was a guy using the cable machine making the most unbelievable noise.  He was shouting and groaning and his mate was shouting along with him.  It was the loudest I've ever heard anyone make a noise at the gym, he was louder than the guys at Worlds Strongest Man.  It was remarkable.  When I left, I cast an eye to see what he was doing but he was lying on the floor, absolutely spent.  What can you do on a cable machine that's that strenuous?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Been hitting the gym and doing some body weight exercises when I can’t. Been eating better the last six months ,as used to gym it every day  but dropped off abit last year for reasons, forgot how much I’ve missed it , going to keep it up apart from a blow out bender in three months . good to get a read of this thread forgot all about it ,now on to the steroid thread 😂

On 26/01/2022 at 16:13, LondonHMFC said:

On the 2nd of January I weighed in at 112.4kg, nearly my heaviest weight (117kg). Truth be told the last few months of 2021 I didn't do a bloody thing and was drinking almost every day. Since that weigh in though I have been on Zwift on Monday / Wednesday / Friday doing around 15-20 miles a session. I have also incorporated light (10kg and below) weights on Tuesday and Thursday, generally around half an hour. I am also doing around 10k steps a day, walking into and home from work. Lastly I am calorie counting, which has been nowhere as tedious as I imagined.

Today I weighed in at 105kg, which has been a massive boost in terms of motivation. I have set myself a goal of getting down to 80kg. It might well take a while, but I am looking forward to the challenge. 

I started off at 117kg in April 2021. Something had o change, i went on a calorie deficit, 3 weight training sessions and 2 cardio sessions per week and aimed for 15k steps a day. Im now down to 86.7kg. Youll get there buddy! As you said, it takes time, but youve already made a great start! 

On 28/03/2022 at 13:31, Bairnardo said:

Stayed out the gym whilst the family has covid and got back today. Felt good, but I now have a question that needs addressed since 2 weeks of rest has made no odds.... Does anyone know how to deal with tennis elbow?

CBD tincture man, the strongest you can get.  My elbows are absolutely goosed after years of work and this has been the only thing I've found that makes a difference.

Stayed out the gym whilst the family has covid and got back today. Felt good, but I now have a question that needs addressed since 2 weeks of rest has made no odds.... Does anyone know how to deal with tennis elbow?
Old Post but...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.rheumatology4u.com/tennisex.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjnlsuYkPb3AhXXEsAKHfJjC24QFnoECAQQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0tyxQoPIyD-OLSqmEhaehe

I had it in both elbows. The first two exercises are a particularly good and especially if you feel even a wee twinge of it coming back.

Class this morning. 10, 9, 8, 7, 6s and I'm actually crippled.

10 star jumps, 10 plank Jack's, 10 burpees, 10 squat jumps.

9 star jumps, 9 plank Jack's....

All the way down to one.

Then  10 squats, 10 push ups, 10 sit ups, 10 bicycle sit ups

9 squats, 9 push ups....

Oh and 4 lengths of the hall in shuttle runs between every single set.

All the way down to one.

9 squats, 9 push ups....

That sounds good. Might give something like that a go. I need to find something else I my routine getting a bit stale.

All the way down to one.

9 squats, 9 push ups....

I fucking hate burpees. I have been going to “Fuse” classes now for almost 9 months and really enjoy them. We do a leg day, a challenge day, an upper body day and boxing. 8x 90 second rounds with 30 seconds rest inbetween. Then a 5 minute cardio finisher, this mornings was 200 reps. 50 high knees, 50 mountain climbers, 25 burpees, 25 squats, 25 stand to planks, 25 sit ups. I done everything else but only managed 3 burpees. I used to hate going to the gym, but now i love it. I lost a stone and a half between august and December, since then, weight wise i have really struggled again. I haven’t managed to get my mindset right with food since Christmas and having two isolations, back when they were a thing.