die hard doonhamer

The get fit, stay fit thread

Some guy called Calumn Duthie coaching keeps coming up on my Facebook, is this guy actually a well known fitness coach or have I just clicked on the wrong thing and subscribed to his pish by mistake? He actually spells his name Calumn ffs. 

@D.A.F.C was it you that was doing the push up thing, starting from a number and doing reps down to 1? 

I started doing this 2-3 weeks ago from 6, hilariously shit number I know. Today I'm up to 13, which is 91 in total but I'm taking a little over half an hour to manage it with some mini things like starjumps in between. 

[mention=59448]D.A.F.C[/mention] was it you that was doing the push up thing, starting from a number and doing reps down to 1? 
I started doing this 2-3 weeks ago from 6, hilariously shit number I know. Today I'm up to 13, which is 91 in total but I'm taking a little over half an hour to manage it with some mini things like starjumps in between. 
Yeah, still doing it except I now do 20,19 then 18,17
Did a 300 set on Sunday 30x10 sets every 30 secs.
Just build up and don't worry about numbers.
I tried to follow a prison routine which was 500 odd in ten mins. Chest started to hurt so stopped.

Gym kitchen ready meals are dece.

Asda started stocking them, bit pricey but really handy.

Gym was busy tonight and I could only get a rack facing a mirror. I am not an attractive sight doing squats.

Went back to the gym for fitness reasons, and hoping to get back to pads and sparring, but I am being drawn back towards lifting heavy stuff.

It just much more enjoyable than any form of cardio, with the possible exception of the above mentioned, which isnt allowed now anyway....

Lifting heavy weights works your cardio vascular system. Do a set of heavy squats and check your pulse afterwards.

Lifting heavy weights works your cardio vascular system. Do a set of heavy squats and check your pulse afterwards.
Aye, I know theres some benefit to the big compound movements. That's what I generally stick to. My days of needing t shirt muscles are long behind me. It's all about making sure I have the appropriate levels of man strength, and can impress the wife/kids by being able to pick things up.

Shat it at the prospect of another lockdown and just parted with £100 for 16 and 24kg kettlebells.
I'm swaying over whether to buy a barbell and some plates. Looking at 100kg minimum but struggling to find anything which would give much change from £400.

I nearly bought a set last week but when Lanarkshire was put into Level 3 and gyms were kept open I decided not to bother.

I'm swaying over whether to buy a barbell and some plates. Looking at 100kg minimum but struggling to find anything which would give much change from £400.

I nearly bought a set last week but when Lanarkshire was put into Level 3 and gyms were kept open I decided not to bother.
Been looking on gumtree? Sometimes see some heavy duty stuff on there

Been looking on gumtree? Sometimes see some heavy duty stuff on there
I've had a look but it's slim pickings at the moment unfortunately. It does make me laugh when you see folk on there trying to punt a scabby set of 15kg dumbells for £200.

3 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

Can't go wrong with 16/24/32kg kettlebells for home training, can cover everything there. 

Have managed to get in an Olympic bar (20kgs) and some reasonably priced plates (20kg, 10kg, 5kg). 

Its not a lot but its enough to keep going through the next lock down. 

Got my squat back up to pre-lockdown levels.  Looking forward to another lockdown ruining it all.

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Got my squat back up to pre-lockdown levels.  Looking forward to another lockdown ruining it all.

how many leg days did it take? I'm still not feeling as strong.

17 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

how many leg days did it take? I'm still not feeling as strong.

I don't do leg days, I do squats and bench one day and then deadlifts and press the next.  Try to get to the gym three or four times a week, depending on how busy I am or if I'm sore or whatever.  I've not been as much as I'd like as my gym is in Livingston as I joined one near my work.  I've now updated to be a member of the Wester Hailes gym so I should be able to get along more often.

I just checked and I have squatted twelve days since the gyms reopened.  

I've also started benching again.  I didn't bench for nearly a year as I have tendinitis in my wrist and was worried I'd drop it on my head but thought I'd go again.  It doesn't hurt my wrist but I've deloaded a lot and after six weeks of it I'm still well below what I used to be able to do.  I'm focussing on form with it and am happy to progress slowly, if I'm being honest I wasn't lifting it with perfect form before.  

Edited by ICTChris