The get fit, stay fit thread

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Get the b*****d gyms open. I can't motivate myself to do anything like a run of workouts at home. 

I was an unbroken 5 sessions in the gym a week for 13 weeks from reopening through to closure. I need back in a gym. 

Every fucking word of this

Get the b*****d gyms open. I can't motivate myself to do anything like a run of workouts at home. 
I was an unbroken 5 sessions in the gym a week for 13 weeks from reopening through to closure. I need back in a gym. 
I'm the exact same.

I'm quite happy to drag my arse out of bed 3-4 times a week to be in the gym for 6am but the same motivation isn't there for a home workout. I'll usually still do 3-4 sessions a week but during my lunch hour and it just isn't the same.

I'm hoping that there's a small chance that the lifting of restrictions can be brought forward a couple of weeks, in which case we could be looking at roughly this time next month for gyms reopening.

3 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I'm the exact same.

I'm quite happy to drag my arse out of bed 3-4 times a week to be in the gym for 6am but the same motivation isn't there for a home workout. I'll usually still do 3-4 sessions a week but during my lunch hour and it just isn't the same.

I'm hoping that there's a small chance that the lifting of restrictions can be brought forward a couple of weeks, in which case we could be looking at roughly this time next month for gyms reopening.

Yeah - quarter past 5 every morning I was up to be in the gym for 6. Even in the dark, shite mornings at the start of winter. I had plenty of momentum and was happily doing it. My plan was to keep that momentum through the winter months.

Now I'm struggling to drag myself out of bed at 8am for a half 8 start. I need that carrot of the gym back to give me the motivation to get up and go.

Ive been pretty lucky that im able to use a small gym in my friends garage which has kept me going. The garage workouts are getting more enjoyable now it is not so cold. Missing the proper gym though.

16 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Absolutely this.  Normally I absolutely love training in the early morning before work, but as I'm still working from home I'm struggling to get up early enough everyday to train before I start working.  Once I get going I usually really enjoy it, but the motivation to get started is sorely lacking right now.  

Also realised I need to start doing some of running and focus cardio.  I've got enough kit to do good hypertrophy but my rig looks like a melted wheelie-bin and wobbles like a bag of sick.  

4 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I haven't done any cardio for months.  We had a really shit cross trainer in our old house but chucked it when we moved.  I'm considering getting an air bike.  I don't want to spend a fortune, considering getting one from Argos - they have this one

I still think crosstrainers are the best way to put out high watts for prolonged periods even though a lot of people seem to think they are shite. 

Anytime I've been on air bike it just feels wrong. 

Seem to be the only person enjoying home training to the extent I'm not getting a gym membership when they open again.  Looking forward to getting back into a boxing gym but not any of the others.
I almost set up a home gym but don't really have the space at the moment to get it how I'd like. Once I've got a decent sized garage I'll definitely be going ahead with it.

I still think crosstrainers are the best way to put out high watts for prolonged periods even though a lot of people seem to think they are shite. 
Anytime I've been on air bike it just feels wrong. 

I’ve heard that said about cross trainers but I like a bike for HIIT. Also, the cross trainers you can buy are either shite or massively expensive. A mate of mine runs a fitness company and told me about a company who sell old gym equipment so I had a look there. The cross trainers you use in the gym cost about £5,000, used!

25 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:
1 hour ago, Boostin said:
Seem to be the only person enjoying home training to the extent I'm not getting a gym membership when they open again.  Looking forward to getting back into a boxing gym but not any of the others.

I almost set up a home gym but don't really have the space at the moment to get it how I'd like. Once I've got a decent sized garage I'll definitely be going ahead with it.

I have 16/24/32kg kettlebells and access to bars in the building for dips/pull ups been enjoying training 6 x 20-30mins/week rather than lower number of sessions for longer times. Get more out of it imo.

So thinking about when lockdown ends but does anyone know of any decent gyms/personal trainers in Glasgow city centre? Think I need a new place and some recommendations would be good.

Edited by Jambomo

I got done a few years ago when I bought a cross trainer from Gumtree. Ended up with some guy standing in the corner of my room, angrily shouting that I was a fat b*****d that needed some exercise any time I walked in.

• 2 weeks later...