The get fit, stay fit thread

5 minutes ago, staggy1929 said:

been avoiding this thread recently purely because it makes me miss the gyms even more, I've dropped a stone in weight, and it's mostly muscle. I am training as much as I can but the motivation is slowly draining away. I am the leanest i've been in ages because i've been focusing on my diet but I miss lifting heavy.

Is anyone else still struggling, or have you gotten over it?

I am missing it.  I have tendinitis in my wrist and have lost my garage gym due to our house move filling our garage with crap so haven't even been able to do the pishy lifts in my garage for the last couple of weeks.  I've tried to focus on diet (am trying LCHF for a bit) and have been doing some HIIT sprinting in the park.  There's a great feeling about doing a heavy squat that I really miss, it's kind of pathetic really.  Even when they reopen it'll take me a few months to get back up to that level.

3 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Just doing something every day. I'd chill out a bit.

Yeah, I think you can put too much in.  I've found that I feel best when I do relatively short, intense workouts three or four times a week.  I think training all the time drains you, although everyone is different.

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

I am missing it.  I have tendinitis in my wrist and have lost my garage gym due to our house move filling our garage with crap so haven't even been able to do the pishy lifts in my garage for the last couple of weeks.  I've tried to focus on diet (am trying LCHF for a bit) and have been doing some HIIT sprinting in the park.  There's a great feeling about doing a heavy squat that I really miss, it's kind of pathetic really.  Even when they reopen it'll take me a few months to get back up to that level.

I'm actually looking forward to try catch up to what I was previously lifting, I just hope the gyms aren't silly about how long you can be in

Definitely been a struggle of late to keep myself going, mostly down to having a 4 month old baby to look after in the evenings and the weather being absolutely fucking boiling for the last wee while and making me feel constantly knackered.

Gym I'm a member of has had a good online timetable for yoga and Tabata. Been doing my own HIIT workouts in our underground car park. People only seem to come out whenever I'm shadow boxing which is a bit embarrassing but I just get on with it. 

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

You getting good definition from all that work on your chest and triceps? 

Got some pain there the next day so hopefully doing something. Give it a few months and hopefully see results.

Plan is to go to daft numbers but slowly. 30 down is a possibility then maybe explosive pushups or maybe planche type holds?

30 is 465. Trying that for end of year which is 1395 per week. 

Any time I do a lot of pressups I get DOMS after for a couple of weeks then even if I push the numbers up my body's got too fly to it and it doesn't seem to give me as much return.
Trying to switch it around to change things. Spent a bit of time learning from guys on youtube. Incline, decline, diamond, wide, normal. Full range or compressed to increase time under tension.
Feel like theres more enjoyment from bodyweight workouts than just lifting weights. It was getting too repetitive.

11 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Trying to switch it around to change things. Spent a bit of time learning from guys on youtube. Incline, decline, diamond, wide, normal. Full range or compressed to increase time under tension.
Feel like theres more enjoyment from bodyweight workouts than just lifting weights. It was getting too repetitive.

Narrow incline are an absolute killer.

• 2 weeks later...

Gyms to reopen in Scotland on August 31st. I logged back into my gym account and am ready to book a session as soon as they sort out what they are doing.

I’ve also seen a few anti-gym comments on social media, and on here, regarding the reopening. People talking about roid rage and commenting about gym goers as being vain or thick. Strange - I think sometimes people have preconceived ideas about what gym goers are like or people have had bad experiences with gyms and fitness and let the colour their thoughts.

Gyms to reopen in Scotland on August 31st. I logged back into my gym account and am ready to book a session as soon as they sort out what they are doing.

I’ve also seen a few anti-gym comments on social media, and on here, regarding the reopening. People talking about roid rage and commenting about gym goers as being vain or thick. Strange - I think sometimes people have preconceived ideas about what gym goers are like or people have had bad experiences with gyms and fitness and let the colour their thoughts.
Probably fatty thighs and diabetic whales who say those things, ignore them.

I can't wait to get back in the gym. Working out at home and going running has well and truly run it's course (no pun intended).

I'm really interested (or should that be nervous) to see where my compound lifts are at - particularly my squat and deadlift. If I can comfortably lift 50% of what I was at before as a starting point then I'll be fairly happy with that. I had a spell of 3-4 months a couple of years ago where my back was gubbed and I couldn't squat or deadlift in that time. Once I was back I regained strength surprisingly quickly so I'm hoping for similar results this time round, particularly given I'm not getting over any injuries this time.

I'm a member of North Lanarkshire Council's gyms but I'm not sure if they'll be reopening on the 31st or not. I've heard a rumour that it could be the 7th before they reopen which would be disappointing but we've come this far so another week won't make too much difference.

Been quite fortunate in that I could borrow weights from my rugby clubs gym during lockdown, and for two months we've been allowed to train outside in our carpark so long as we do all the screening/sanitizing. Strength has definitely increased during lockdown, managed to hit 200kg on squat for 4 last week and 150kg bench for 5. Helps us not training fully, but we're back this week in fitness training so I'll be surprised if can hit those numbers again this year; I'm usually ruined by the running drills.

Cancelled my nuffield membership though - felt the limits on how long you can be the in the gym etc. would be quite limiting, especially when I have access to a proper strength and conditioning gym 24/7 for free. Might give Lift a shot on Gorgie Road though, heard some good things so would be interested to hear anyone's thought if they're a member there.

Been quite fortunate in that I could borrow weights from my rugby clubs gym during lockdown, and for two months we've been allowed to train outside in our carpark so long as we do all the screening/sanitizing. Strength has definitely increased during lockdown, managed to hit 200kg on squat for 4 last week and 150kg bench for 5. Helps us not training fully, but we're back this week in fitness training so I'll be surprised if can hit those numbers again this year; I'm usually ruined by the running drills.

Cancelled my nuffield membership though - felt the limits on how long you can be the in the gym etc. would be quite limiting, especially when I have access to a proper strength and conditioning gym 24/7 for free. Might give Lift a shot on Gorgie Road though, heard some good things so would be interested to hear anyone's thought if they're a member there.
Those numbers are insane. On a good day for me a 200kg squat and 150kg bench was around my 1RM. Fair play if you're hitting them for reps!

2 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

I kept paying my subs through this period and the gym's said they're raising prices except for the loyal ones who helped them stay afloat 😀

Kept paying as well.  My gym did a good timetable of online classes that were handy for getting me of the couch, been getting into Vinyasa/Ashtanga yoga a lot and some of their HIIT/Tabata sessions are no joke and I consider myself decent at it.  They do a lot for those less privileged in the area as well.

1 hour ago, super_carson said:

Girlfriend knows one of the owners but not her kind of place.  Supposed to be decent.