The get fit, stay fit thread

13 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Dorian Yates used to train for 45-50 minutes four times a week when he was a world champion bodybuilder, he did OK with it.

I think training every day or training for long sessions is sometimes counter productive, you get tired, injured and don't rest enough.  I like banging out sets in less than an hour.

Generally spend about an hour on weights and then whatever I do cardio wise on top of that. Not sure I would have the patience to spend any longer there.

4 minutes ago, Dele said:

If you've got problems doing squats unaided I wouldn't recommend using the Smith machine to squat. 

I'm usually fine my first few sets. it's when I get 3 or 4 sets in to a heavy-ish working set weight like 100kg it starts to happen. I've tried dropping the weight and it still happens just not as bad. I've had sets filmed before too and the form looks alright if i'm honest. Might need to sub in a new exercise instead.

1 minute ago, staggy1929 said:

I train with various people at different times and they haven't noticed anything overly incorrect with my form. I'm considering squatting in the smith machine to see if the assisted style of doing it helps.

gives me an excuse to skip leg day tbf so it's not all bad

Nah don't use the Smith Machine for squats, the ROM isn't anywhere near what it's meant to be and it places too much strain on joints that a free movement doesn't.

Have you tried box squats?

9 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Nah don't use the Smith Machine for squats, the ROM isn't anywhere near what it's meant to be and it places too much strain on joints that a free movement doesn't.

Have you tried box squats?

I have! I don't mind box squats actually, I've tried sumo squats and pin squats too and they're not too bad either.

7 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Could someone not use a Smith machine with no weight to at least keep the path of the bar vertical to figure out where in the process the hamstring pain comes from? Mind you could just do that with a free barbell I suppose if someone was minding your form.

That is something I haven't tried in fairness.  I'm 22 so I shouldn't really have a goosed hamstring at this point. I still regularly play amateur football and no pain involved while doing that so it's bizarre.  Must be something I'm doing wrong

Dorian Yates also dabbled in the Mexican Supplements lets not miss that out :lol: but yeah I get what you mean about the hour sessions, especially when training alone.

Well obviously, they all do but he was also a prodigious trainer. I go to the gym at lunchtime and find having to be more disciplined in timings really helps. Recovery is also very important, if you are lifting heavy weights then your body needs time to rebuild.

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

Well obviously, they all do but he was also a prodigious trainer. I go to the gym at lunchtime and find having to be more disciplined in timings really helps. Recovery is also very important, if you are lifting heavy weights then your body needs time to rebuild.

I totally agree, some of the best sessions are the one's where you have a certain time to get your work in.  I see people in the gym taking 5 minutes between sets and it seriously triggers me sometimes.

25 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Also, just for everyone’s peace of mind I’m never going to post a naked picture on here.

I do have a topless (with bra on) but it’s the stuff of belly nightmares lol

30 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

How do you measure body fat?

There's no cheap way you can do it reliably at home, but the least unreliable method is using skin calipers.

1 hour ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

Any good websites for some decent food choices? I'm getting fed up cooking and eating the same things all the time and want some new inspiration. 

Try Lean for Life :) 

1 hour ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

Any good websites for some decent food choices? I'm getting fed up cooking and eating the same things all the time and want some new inspiration. 

Justeat!

If we're posting progress pics:

62215487_620013945147061_1256287073770405888_n.jpg.5f852a1b683f57c867ec59fc2019edc7.jpg

The first was taken in August 2016, I was 14st 13lb with about 27% bodyfat. I lost about three stone over the next year, but...
The second was taken in March 2018, I'd let myself go quite a bit following the death of my father. I was about 13st 10lb with about 22% bodyfat.
The third was taken in about January 2019 I think, I was 12st 10lb with about 17% bodyfat. I'd lost a lot of fat but not a lot of weight as I'd been doing weights for a while. At this point I could deadlift about 125kg (1x5), squat about 110kg (3x5) and bench about 65kg (3x5). This was just before I started properly training for the Edinburgh Half Marathon.
The fourth was taken at the weekend, I'm about 11st 7lb with about 15% bodyfat. The sixteen weeks of training have meant I've lost over a stone since February but (as is to be expected) a fair amount of that has come from muscle and not a lot from fat.
I'm back on the weights now but my lifts have understandably suffered. Currently deadlifting 100kg (1x5), squatting 82.5kg (3x5) and benching 50kg (3x5). Working my way back up.
I'm still cutting but not by much, I want to reasonably preserve and try to improve my strength while losing a good bit more fat. Ideally I want to get down to about 12% before I'll start doing a lean bulk.
I know there are a fair few folk on here who know me personally, but I've blanked out my face. I was also wearing boxers in the third and fourth pictures but they were a bit revealing shall we say!

Shite tattoos for this

21 hours ago, Jambomo said:

This is going to sound like a stupid question but how many of the recipes in the book have eggs as part of them? I mean eggs as in fried egg, boiled etc not just as ingredients.

The reason I ask is that I have been looking for a healthy eating cookbook but the ones I have seen have tons of recipes containing eggs and I don’t eat them. I wondered if this was the same as it sounds like a good book.

There are a couple of the recipes that have eggs, but in two instances, the egg could easily be left out if you don’t like them. As I said in my initial post, I was definitely sceptical, as on first flicking through the book, weird (to my eyes) stuff kept popping up, like quinoa, buckwheat, etc. I thought it was going to be one of those fancy-dan books designed for gym bunny types who live next door to a Waitrose.

Now, to be fair, you do need to invest in some ‘fancy dan’ ingredients, but hand on heart, the food is filling, tasty, healthy.... I am one of those guys who can put weight on easily - unless I screw the nut, so had tried diets in the past. Got fed up, scunnered, was gagging for a fish supper or a takeaway, but I am completely on board with this ‘Mindful Chef’ cookbook. In fact, just had a recipe from it tonight - chicken strips gently fried using a teaspoon of coconut oil, the chicken was coated in sundried tomato paste. Served with butternut squash cubes, roasted in the oven, with a shake of basil over them. Veggies were tenderstem broccoli,  cherry tomatoes, and pine nuts - roasted together on a tray for fifteen mins with a teaspoon of coconut oil.

I’m now a baw’ hair away from losing a full stone in weight, and feel a ton better than I did at Christmas.

5 hours ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

There are a plethora of charlatan fitness advisors out there but one who really knows his stuff is Mike Matthews. He has a few books but his Shredded Chef one is excellent for meal suggestions.