The get fit, stay fit thread

Went out yesterday morning and done a 5k(Actually 4.84k according to Strava but it's as close to 5k as I have been able to figure out going from the front door and back...) in 26:30. Again, annoyed that I used to manage that distance in 22-22:30 range without feeling like I was trying particularly hard. Got a route mapped though and determined to get it done sub 23 minutes by the time it gets too cold/dark to bother going out for a run.

Plan on once or twice a week with that and my usual 2/3 times a week at the gym. See how long that lasts before I simply cannot be fucked with the effort.

I have set goals for myself for the year in the gym and I was really motivated but a month or two ago I lost all desire to go and only really went 3 times a week after that, thankfully the motivation is back and I might if i'm lucky reach my target weight for all three compound movements... fingers crossed anyway 

I have set goals for myself for the year in the gym and I was really motivated but a month or two ago I lost all desire to go and only really went 3 times a week after that, thankfully the motivation is back and I might if i'm lucky reach my target weight for all three compound movements... fingers crossed anyway 
If you have a decent, structured program then 3-4 times a week is usually plenty.

Dorian Yates used to train for 45-50 minutes four times a week when he was a world champion bodybuilder, he did OK with it.

I think training every day or training for long sessions is sometimes counter productive, you get tired, injured and don't rest enough.  I like banging out sets in less than an hour.

At Christmas, I got a cookbook called ‘The Mindful Chef’. It isn’t about diet food or fads, it’s about healthy balanced meals. Anyway, after New Year, I drew a line in the sand, I felt awful and overweight. Wasn’t eating well. I dusted the book off and took a deep breath. Using the book for main meals, allied to cutting down on beer, choccies, crisps, and doing exercise at least four times a week for thirty minutes a pop - since New Year, I’ve lost 13lbs, and as importantly, feel a whole lot better.
The recipes are tasty, interesting, and as someone who enjoys cooking anyway, are easy to make. Initially, I wrote the book off as being one of those ‘poncy’ affairs - featuring avocado and quinoa etc.... however, I have completely turned around. I had to exercise some willpower too, obviously, to ditch the Golden Wonder cheese & onion, and too many Kit Kats, but 13lbs, in a sustainable manner? I can highly recommend this cookbook to anyone, who, like me, needed to get a grip and screw the nut a bit.

This is going to sound like a stupid question but how many of the recipes in the book have eggs as part of them? I mean eggs as in fried egg, boiled etc not just as ingredients.

The reason I ask is that I have been looking for a healthy eating cookbook but the ones I have seen have tons of recipes containing eggs and I don’t eat them. I wondered if this was the same as it sounds like a good book.

11 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

SimilarLimpingFruitbat-size_restricted.g

I get that three times a week is usually alright but I literally have no excuse not to go. 

my job is 9-5 and I don't have kids or anything so I should be able to go 5 times a week and take the weekend off

10 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Dorian Yates used to train for 45-50 minutes four times a week when he was a world champion bodybuilder, he did OK with it.

I think training every day or training for long sessions is sometimes counter productive, you get tired, injured and don't rest enough.  I like banging out sets in less than an hour.

Dorian Yates also dabbled in the Mexican Supplements lets not miss that out :lol: but yeah I get what you mean about the hour sessions, especially when training alone.

Hah, sadly not. I wasn't able to make it along. My daughter didn't have a particularly good day, so I was stuck in the house trying to settle her. The joys of autism. Pretty gutted, but eventually got her settled enough later on to go out a run. 10km in 48m 40s.

Will try to get along to boxing later in the week.

If we're posting progress pics:

62215487_620013945147061_1256287073770405888_n.jpg.5f852a1b683f57c867ec59fc2019edc7.jpg

The first was taken in August 2016, I was 14st 13lb with about 27% bodyfat. I lost about three stone over the next year, but...

The second was taken in March 2018, I'd let myself go quite a bit following the death of my father. I was about 13st 10lb with about 22% bodyfat.

The third was taken in about January 2019 I think, I was 12st 10lb with about 17% bodyfat. I'd lost a lot of fat but not a lot of weight as I'd been doing weights for a while. At this point I could deadlift about 125kg (1x5), squat about 110kg (3x5) and bench about 65kg (3x5). This was just before I started properly training for the Edinburgh Half Marathon.

The fourth was taken at the weekend, I'm about 11st 7lb with about 15% bodyfat. The sixteen weeks of training have meant I've lost over a stone since February but (as is to be expected) a fair amount of that has come from muscle and not a lot from fat.

I'm back on the weights now but my lifts have understandably suffered. Currently deadlifting 100kg (1x5), squatting 82.5kg (3x5) and benching 50kg (3x5). Working my way back up.

I'm still cutting but not by much, I want to reasonably preserve and try to improve my strength while losing a good bit more fat. Ideally I want to get down to about 12% before I'll start doing a lean bulk.

I know there are a fair few folk on here who know me personally, but I've blanked out my face. I was also wearing boxers in the third and fourth pictures but they were a bit revealing shall we say!

Edited by Gaz

13 minutes ago, Gaz said:

If we're posting progress pics:

Hide contents

62215487_620013945147061_1256287073770405888_n.jpg.5f852a1b683f57c867ec59fc2019edc7.jpg

The first was taken in August 2016, I was 14st 13lb with about 27% bodyfat. I lost about three stone over the next year, but...

The second was taken in March 2018, I'd let myself go quite a bit following the death of my father. I was about 13st 10lb with about 22% bodyfat.

The third was taken in about January 2019 I think, I was 12st 10lb with about 17% bodyfat. I'd lost a lot of fat but not a lot of weight as I'd been doing weights for a while. At this point I could deadlift about 125kg (1x5), squat about 110kg (3x5) and bench about 65kg (3x5). This was just before I started properly training for the Edinburgh Half Marathon.

The fourth was taken at the weekend, I'm about 11st 7lb with about 15% bodyfat. The sixteen weeks of training have meant I've lost over a stone since February but (as is to be expected) a fair amount of that has come from muscle and not a lot from fat.

I'm back on the weights now but my lifts have understandably suffered. Currently deadlifting 100kg (1x5), squatting 82.5kg (3x5) and benching 50kg (3x5). Working my way back up.

I'm still cutting but not by much, I want to reasonably preserve and try to improve my strength while losing a good bit more fat. Ideally I want to get down to about 12% before I'll start doing a lean bulk.

I know there are a fair few folk on here who know me personally, but I've blanked out my face. I was also wearing boxers in the third and fourth pictures but they were a bit revealing shall we say!

Fair play to you buddy that's some effort! 

1 minute ago, staggy1929 said:

Fair play to you buddy that's some effort! 

Thanks mate.

I've had a few friends / colleagues ask me what I've done to get to where I am. When I explain it's 20% down to working hard at the gym / running / 5s etc. and 80% down to watching what I'm eating (I meticulously log every single calorie and gram of protein, carbohydrate and fat I eat) and making sure I eat less than I'm burning they look at me like I've just kicked their newborn. They just want to be told that there's some magic pill they have to take.

25 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Thanks mate.

I've had a few friends / colleagues ask me what I've done to get to where I am. When I explain it's 20% down to working hard at the gym / running / 5s etc. and 80% down to watching what I'm eating (I meticulously log every single calorie and gram of protein, carbohydrate and fat I eat) and making sure I eat less than I'm burning they look at me like I've just kicked their newborn. They just want to be told that there's some magic pill they have to take.

Fantastic effort mate, well done.

You're right though, it's not rocket science, it just takes a bit of planning, a level of commitment and then patience and over time it happens. Still, superb effort.

Does anyone else get a horrible stinging pain in their hamstring when doing squats? I don't get it doing anything else just squats and it almost every time ruins my leg days.

I've tried stretching before sessions and doing a lot of warm up sets and nothing seems to stop it.

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Thanks mate.

I wasn’t sure if I should post it or not but decided f**k it lol

25 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Have you checked your form? Are your knees going too far forward on the way down?

I've tried adjusting my form a few times, trying different squat styles etc. maybe I've just got a dodgy hammy but it's an absolute nightmare at times.

I've tried adjusting my form a few times, trying different squat styles etc. maybe I've just got a dodgy hammy but it's an absolute nightmare at times.

Can you ask anyone at the gym to give you some tips on form?

No point continuing on if you don’t have the form as you’ll risk injury.

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

Can you ask anyone at the gym to give you some tips on form?

No point continuing on if you don’t have the form as you’ll risk injury.

I train with various people at different times and they haven't noticed anything overly incorrect with my form. I'm considering squatting in the smith machine to see if the assisted style of doing it helps.

gives me an excuse to skip leg day tbf so it's not all bad