The get fit, stay fit thread

Suffering with shin splints for the first time. Assuming the best thing to do is just wait it out, rather than running through the pain.

I’ve had shin splints a couple of times in the past and I’m now taking preventative measures to remove this issue completely. There really is nothing more annoying when you are feeling absolutely fine CV wise and then the burning starts to creep into the shins.

I would suggest finding a cardio exercise that doesn’t put excessive pressure on the Tibialis anterior and Gastrocnemius for a short period of time (1-2 weeks). Exercises such as cycling, Recumbent bike and the cross-trainer are ideal (rowing machine often causes flare ups due to the pressure when pushing off).

Shin splints can occur for a number of reasons but some are more common than others. Regardless, it is important to strengthen the muscles that support the shins. The most obvious exercise is calf raises. I would suggest doing 3 sets of these once a day, starting at whatever you can manage and building up each day until you can do 30 reps with both legs at the same time. Once this has been achieved try using only 1 leg at a time and build up to 30 on each leg in the same way.

Weak Hamstrings are also a cause of shin splints so Hamstring exercises may be required. The recumbent bike and cross trainer also work this muscle.

Flat feet can put excessive pressure on the shins. Insoles that add an arch to support the foot may be required. I have a pair of insoles for all of my shoes as I am completely flat footed.

Hope that this is useful in some way.

48 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

Hope that this is useful in some way.

Massively, really appreciate that. Feeling a lot better today, so going to get into the gym after work and get on the bike. 

Didn't think about the calves, so will certainly add the calf raises in. 

FAO calf injury prone-types:

I got some of this the other day. 

http://www.arnica.com/category/arnica-uses/

I now believe in voodoo as it was a miraculous recovery. I took some tablets and applied some cream and it was like I'd been for ultrasound therapy. One minute my calf was fucked, then it wasn't. 

Colleagues and I are thinking of running a fitness challenge in June to see who can get the most 'points' in a whole month which shouldn't just be calories burned or distance etc as it should work for multiple different types of workout, age etc.

We're thinking something like Avg % of Max HR / Calories or some sort of calculation including distance, weight height etc.

We've tried to use fitrockr however some of the folks are getting points for walking to the shop and back and the idea is only workouts should be included (my argument was walking to the shop is a workout!).

We're doing this in Excel.

A similar idea to what we're looking for is MyZone however not everyone is willing to pay $160 for the heart band.

If you're in or around Edinburgh and fancy getting fit (or fitter) and learning a new skill you might want to try boxing. You don't have to get hit! Only a fraction of folk actually end up sparring (though some get the bug). There is no hierarchy - age/gender/body shape doesn't matter a bit. Everyone gets the same welcome. 

It's different to the boxercise classes you'll see in normal gyms. You will get drilled in all the basics of boxing. Footwork, combinations, punchbags, padwork, plyometric jumps, skipping. Lose weight, feel good, gain confidence. You don't need any equipment (except maybe a set of hand wraps). There are classes most mornings and evenings and it's a really friendly, welcoming environment. 

Feel free to pm me any time. There's no financial gain for me but if this is spam then I apologise and will delete. It can be about more than just fitness. It's the sort of thing that cam give you a new purpose in life. 

Anyone use/know of a good app to track your workouts (eg reps and weights etc)? Been hard at the gym for 4 months (over 10kg down) but hit a bit of a wall and I feel it is because I need to be increasing my weights but I tend to forget what I last lifted for certain exercises, if it has been a few weeks since I have done it, so go conservative.

Don't want to be a bell with a notepad.

Anyone use/know of a good app to track your workouts (eg reps and weights etc)? Been hard at the gym for 4 months (over 10kg down) but hit a bit of a wall and I feel it is because I need to be increasing my weights but I tend to forget what I last lifted for certain exercises, if it has been a few weeks since I have done it, so go conservative.
Don't want to be a bell with a notepad.

I just use a notepad. Easiest thing

If you're in or around Edinburgh and fancy getting fit (or fitter) and learning a new skill you might want to try boxing. You don't have to get hit! Only a fraction of folk actually end up sparring (though some get the bug). There is no hierarchy - age/gender/body shape doesn't matter a bit. Everyone gets the same welcome. 
It's different to the boxercise classes you'll see in normal gyms. You will get drilled in all the basics of boxing. Footwork, combinations, punchbags, padwork, plyometric jumps, skipping. Lose weight, feel good, gain confidence. You don't need any equipment (except maybe a set of hand wraps). There are classes most mornings and evenings and it's a really friendly, welcoming environment. 
Feel free to pm me any time. There's no financial gain for me but if this is spam then I apologise and will delete. It can be about more than just fitness. It's the sort of thing that cam give you a new purpose in life. 
Check your PM's sir.