The get fit, stay fit thread

Can anyone recommend any good and easy things to make for packed lunches? For dinner just having four chicken brests with cauliflower to avoid carbs and fatty foods. Trying to get more toned whilst putting a bit of muscle on.

Can anyone recommend any good and easy things to make for packed lunches? For dinner just having four chicken brests with cauliflower to avoid carbs and fatty foods. Trying to get more toned whilst putting a bit of muscle on.

Cucumber and tzatziki (try and find low fat tzatziki) with pumpkin seeds. Filling and very tasty, won't help with the muscle though. If you're looking for food which will contribute to your muscle growth then obviously stick with the protein; however if you're going to the gym and hitting the weights, instead of just consuming protein straight after you're finished, (in the form of say chicken, or a protein shake) have a wee bottle of orange juice, then hit the protein. The spike in insulin after the dip it goes through whilst exercising will help the body absorb the protein better.

Edited by DonnieDarko

Off the drink to the 4th July. Hopefully see a difference in my body with a clean diet and weight lifting. Not that I haven't seen a difference already but hopefully better fat loss. The last few weekends have hindered my progressing due to the devil drink.

I tend to make rational guesses rather than go out of my way to count calories. It's been working out pretty well since I restarted three months ago. I'll exercise anything from 2-4 times a week, and pig out on the weekend. I've managed to lose a decent bit of weight without sacrificing much of my metalibolism and definitely gained a bit of muscle without going OTT.

What I'd say I certainly struggle with a bit more these days, is getting away with portion sizes as I was very capable of putting it away back in the day, but I put it down to getting older and the fact I went about a year without exercising. If I'm hungry I'll have a drink of water and that will settle my hunger after twenty minutes on a 50:50 but if I feel the need to pig out I will because being unsatisfied in the stomach only makes me crave it more. The way I see it, if I'm losing a little bit of fat every week then my body won't regress so heavily when I have a lazy week or two. Also something like a pint of water and an apple or other bit of fruit in the morning can do wonders to your appetite.

If you're just looking for something to do in the house there plenty of decent exercises on YouTube that can keep you ticking over. The HIIT, Strength, and Signature workouts are excellent on the LIVESTRONG youtube channel if you are looking for exercises that don't require any equipment. The guy that does them slavers a lot of bollox and the high fiving between doing such things as a workout can grind my gears but once you get past it it's just white noise. The amount of variations of burpees I've done has my core as strong has it's been brilliant. If I can strengthen my back a little bit more I could just about pull off a one handed press up, which felt inconcievable a while back.

Is the best way to gain weight just eating a lot?

I'm currently looking to gain weight then turn it into muscle. I've heard that it's mainly down to diet, so I take it eating foods high in protein and eating more than the GDA of calories is the way to go? How would I be able to measure this in an efficient way? (for instance, I just ate a steak, but no-where on the packet did it tell me how much protein/calories it contained). Are protein shakes a waste of time if you eat the correct way? And does anyone have any decent high protein/calorie recipes I can try?

Steroids

Have gone on a diet for the first time in my life at 27 - i was always thin throughout my life until in the past year since i became a student back in August - used to work on building sites so whatever shite i ate and drank i just ran it off and i would always be about 10:6 stone although i hardly weighed myself as never noticed my weight changing. Since I've not been doing physical work i have noticed the weight piling on although i go the gym as often as i can i find it hard to maintain a good figure. My weight was up to between 12.5 - 12.7 in past couple weeks so I've decided to cut back on a few things. First of all my breakfast would usually involve 2 slices of toast and coffee with milk and sugar followed by a red bull when i got to college so have cut those 3 things out right away, have 2 boiled eggs in the morning as well as a green tea then a piece of fruit or veg, no coffee no milk no extra sugar throughout my day just lots of fruit and occasionally some nuts when I'm at my most peckish. Dinner consists of one piece of meat i.e. chicken/pork/steak and a side salad when before i would either have rice or chips and no snacking afterwards just drinking lots of green tea and water. Been going to the gym about the same as i was before maybe every other day on average depending on what I've been doing but have been on this diet since last Thursday and I'm down below 12 stone already. Think i could be able to have a couple beers and get away with it as i think the cut down on carbs was the most important thing

Is the best way to gain weight just eating a lot?

I'm currently looking to gain weight then turn it into muscle. I've heard that it's mainly down to diet, so I take it eating foods high in protein and eating more than the GDA of calories is the way to go? How would I be able to measure this in an efficient way? (for instance, I just ate a steak, but no-where on the packet did it tell me how much protein/calories it contained). Are protein shakes a waste of time if you eat the correct way? And does anyone have any decent high protein/calorie recipes I can try?

It's been mentioned above, but myfitnesspal is a great way of tracking what you're consuming and planning a routine for yourself. Just enter your BMI details, set yourself a weight loss/gain target and then it tells you how much calories, protein, fat, etc you should be aiming for each day. There's also a forum where there's loads of recipe ideas discussed.

The amount of variations of burpees I've done has my core as strong has it's been brilliant. If I can strengthen my back a little bit more I could just about pull off a one handed press up, which felt inconcievable a while back.

I went through a phase a few months back of doing 100 burpees every morning. 8-10 mins for a lot of benefits. If I missed a day I did 200 the next. I wanted to do 100 for 100 days but I got an unrelated calf injury and had to stop. Let me tell you 300 burpees in one sitting is brutal.

The only thing I found with MFP as a negative was my tendency just to eat pre-pack sandwiches etc at lunchtime rather than make my own lunch as the barcode scanner makes life too easy.

Actually, it's not great for logging exercise- I just use a spreadsheet for weights and there's a LF connect app for the cardio machines at my gym so I just log into them before I use them.

1 banana

30 grams whey

500ml milk

150g oats

30g peanut butter

Blend that and you've got a 1200cal+ healthy shake. Eat lots of protein-dense and calorie-dense foods while following a gym routine consistently and you'll be looking like Zeus in no time.

1 banana

30 grams whey

500ml milk

150g oats

30g peanut butter

Blend that and you've got a 1200cal+ healthy shake. Eat lots of protein-dense and calorie-dense foods while following a gym routine consistently and you'll be looking like Zeus in no time.

Zeus you say...

clash-of-the-titans-bacofoil.jpg

Think i'll pass

Salmon, spinach, avocado, tomatoes, roasted peppers is what i usually have. I also have brown rice with it a few days a week.

If you want to put muscle on then you need carbs

The only thing I found with MFP as a negative was my tendency just to eat pre-pack sandwiches etc at lunchtime rather than make my own lunch as the barcode scanner makes life too easy.

Actually, it's not great for logging exercise- I just use a spreadsheet for weights and there's a LF connect app for the cardio machines at my gym so I just log into them before I use them.

I find that the info from using the barcode scanner is frequntly inaccurate.

I use a free app called Jefit for logging weights. Its decent imo