The get fit, stay fit thread

Was that it?

That seems extremely mild for pre season training at any level.

I'm very unfit at the moment, so yes that was it. Had another session last night, which was a bit more. Legs are feeling it again today but not as bad as last week.

I'm a referee at juvenile level, so my fitness doesn't have to be great yet. Hopefully by the middle of the season I'll be doing long runs a couple of times a week.

Diets are a pile of pish. A balanced diet and lots of exercise is all you need

One of the most important things you can learn is the difference between diets, and diet.

I should've clarified we weren't talking about fad diets or anything like that he was pointing out that eating healthy alone isnt enough to lose fat. He said you need to exercise to burn the harmful fats in your body and he also said that cardio wont burn any fat at all really, weight training is the key to burning fat.

fat.

Edited by 11thHour

I should've clarified we weren't talking about fad diets or anything like that he was pointing out that eating healthy alone isnt enough to lose fat. He said you need to exercise to burn the harmful fats in your body and he also said that cardio wont burn any fat at all really, weight training is the key to burning fat.

fat.

#justlift

fat.

He's talking shit. Fat burn is 100% diet.

Some good questions today. Difficult to post links on my phone or multiquote on the app, but diet-wise if you look up the Katch-McArdle equation that's the best way to calculate calories burned per day, or the Harris Benedict equation if you don't know your body fat percentage. After that, basically all you need to do is eat around 1g protein/lb bodyweight and a minimum of 0.4g fat/lb, filling in remaining calories to preference between protein, carbs and fat. To bulk, eat 10-20% over maintenance and to cut eat 10-20% under. Keeping surpluses and deficits low will limit fat gain / muscle loss. Myfitnesspal is a fantastic app which everyone should use.

Banterman: weaker exercises at the start is a good idea. Also, if you don't want to squat and deaflift on the same day and can only make the gym twice a week you could consider splitting your workouts on a push/pull basis.

If I've missed anything I'll try to answer when I get home after #lifting.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Edited by Mak

He's talking shit. Fat burn is 100% diet.Some good questions today. Difficult to post links on my phone or multiquote on the app, but diet-wise if you look up the Katch-McArdle equation that's the best way to calculate calories burned per day, or the Harris Benedict equation if you don't know your body fat percentage. After that, basically all you need to do is eat around 1g protein/lb bodyweight and a minimum of 0.4g fat/lb, filling in remaining calories to preference between protein, carbs and fat. To bulk, eat 10-20% over maintenance and to cut eat 10-20% under. Keeping surpluses and deficits low will limit fat gain / muscle loss. Myfitnesspal is a fantastic app which everyone should use.Banterman: weaker exercises at the start is a good idea. Also, if you don't want to squat and deaflift on the same day and can only make the gym twice a week you could consider splitting your workouts on a push/pull basis.If I've missed anything I'll try to answer when I get home after #lifting.Sent from my GT-I9505 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Also, no carbs after 6pm or you are fucked

I'm very unfit at the moment, so yes that was it. Had another session last night, which was a bit more. Legs are feeling it again today but not as bad as last week.

I'm a referee at juvenile level, so my fitness doesn't have to be great yet. Hopefully by the middle of the season I'll be doing long runs a couple of times a week.

Ah your a referee. I assumed you were talking about a team you played for.

Keep up the good work.

Edited by Cyber_soccer

Also, no carbs after 6pm or you are fucked

Basically the only way to lose or gain weight is ketogenic paleo intermittent fasting with carb backloading (not after 6PM). Anything else is doomed to failure.

Basically the only way to lose or gain weight is ketogenic paleo intermittent fasting with carb backloading (not after 6PM). Anything else is doomed to failure.

Also sex, weights and protein shakes helps

See if #starbucksgirl begs me for sex (which will probs happen), I'll just have to be all like 'Soz babe, no cardio. I'm bulking.' #sacrificetowin

This would be useful if I understood any of it...

Is this not a contradiction? A ketogenic diet encourages the body to go into ketosis and remove glycogen stores. By carb loading all you are doing is taking the body out of ketosis and causing it to burn off these stores instead of the glycogen. Or have I mis-understood your point?

<insert whoosh graphic>

re: banterman- this could be broscience but I've read that it's generally best to squat first and deadlift last if you're doing both on the same day, because of the small stabiliser muscles in the lower back that get more fatigued by doing deadlifts i.e. if you deadlift before squat you won't be able to lift (sorry, #lift) as much as you would doing it the other way round.

Although I try and keep to the same order for every training session where possible so it's easier to measure progress, but in the real world for those of us without our own power rack that tends not to happen.

How fucking obvious do I have to make it when I'm taking the piss?

But you're a very serious poster Mak. I can't think of time when you have taken the piss.

But you're a very serious poster Mak. I can't think of time when you have taken the piss.

Good point. Maybe they were thrown by the fact that this was the first time ever.

<insert whoosh graphic>

re: banterman- this could be broscience but I've read that it's generally best to squat first and deadlift last if you're doing both on the same day, because of the small stabiliser muscles in the lower back that get more fatigued by doing deadlifts i.e. if you deadlift before squat you won't be able to lift (sorry, #lift) as much as you would doing it the other way round.

Although I try and keep to the same order for every training session where possible so it's easier to measure progress, but in the real world for those of us without our own power rack that tends not to happen.

. Myfitnesspal is a fantastic app which everyone should use. Banterman: weaker exercises at the start is a good idea. Also, if you don't want to squat and deaflift on the same day and can only make the gym twice a week you could consider splitting your workouts on a push/pull basis. If I've missed anything I'll try to answer when I get home after #lifting. Sent from my GT-I9505 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Cheers lads.

Yeah I tend to squat first and finish with the deadlift. But this has more to do with there always being a bar free, but the smith machine isn;t (that's right, Smith machine. AND I use the #pussypad)

I reckon i'll do presses after squats in future then. I;ve also downloaded myfitnesspal. Early days. I;ve made really good progress in the last six months (roughly lost two stone, but also put on muscle). I'd like to keep that going given I presume I'm now past the "noob gainz" stage

Because it's the exercise equivalent of a diet. It promotes short term goals whereas your fitness goals should be an ongoing process for the rest of your days. I'm curious to know what Shaun T tells you do do at the end of the last DVD?

I still don't get your point? Whats the problem with keeping doing the workouts 3 or 4 times a week to maintain your fitness level? I dont see how its any different to going to the gym.

I still don't get your point? Whats the problem with keeping doing the workouts 3 or 4 times a week to maintain your fitness level? I dont see how its any different to going to the gym.

Personally, i think dvds like that are a waste of time. It is good for encouraging people to lose weight and they will by doong it. However, what happens at the end of it? Do you go back to the start? Do you just keep doing the last dvd constantly?

My issue is that, although it is good for getting people, who may not usually be, active, at the end of the dvd they may lose interest as there is nothing to follow it up. So they lose all this weight by doing insanity and then put it back on when they dvd finishes and there is nothing to keep them motivated. It is the same with all these celebrities who lose weight. They then put a dvd out, which is great. But then they put it all back once it is over.

There is a girl in my work i can relate this to. She was going to insanity every lunch and losing weight. Dvd has finished and now she has became lazy and doesnt really go