The get fit, stay fit thread

Was down Kelvingrove park training on tuesday night, doing the sprints uphills. was up next to the old SFA headquarters running up and down the steep steps next to it. my legs are like jelly. good to be outside going some work again though

Sure this has already been covered, but wanting to learn more about nutrition. Anyone recommend any books or articles that are accessible to the nutritional idiot?

Anita Bean, The Complete Guide to Sports Nutrition, ISBN: 1408105381

As for me

Physiotherapy has progressed to the point where I can actually do something genuinely cardiovascular again.

I did 1 km freestyle in 20 minutes yesterday.

A few years back I did 5 km at that pace but the fact that my shoulder isn't in agony today means this feels like a win

Upto 100kg on the old squats. This might seem like much but, considering i was only doing 40kg half a year ago, i am content with that.

Impressive to me! Do you include the weight of the bar in that?

I love my squats - I;m around 60kg just now, but I can only use the smith machine, i fear the rack :(

Upto 100kg on the old squats. This might seem like much but, considering i was only doing 40kg half a year ago, i am content with that.

Impressive to me! Do you include the weight of the bar in that?

I love my squats - I;m around 60kg just now, but I can only use the smith machine, i fear the rack :(

Yeah i use the free rack. If i go to the gym in airdrie then i use the smith machine. But it hurts my back. So try do my legs when i am using the gym in edinburgh.

I actually felt the same as you for ages. Only recently started using the rack and feel much better for it.

I use the smith machine for my calf raises. Upto 110kg on them.

So hard to built the legs up though. Can notice a difference in my thighs which is good!

I have begun dieting and weight is already coming off, but I'd like to accellerate the process via the medium known as "exer-cise."

Cardio is shit. I'd far rather do strength work.

Suggestions welcome.

I have begun dieting and weight is already coming off, but I'd like to accellerate the process via the medium known as "exer-cise."

Suggestions welcome.

Skipping ropes. Seriously, fucking great fun. Compared to rowing machines and whatever else anyway.

Edited by Zanetti

Suggestions welcome.

^^^ Roid Rage

For nutrition, there's literally hundred of channels you can subscribe to on YouTube with lots of videos on what to eat and and how to cook healthy meals. I currently subscribe to -

Scooby's Workshop

Barthel Fitness

Lean Body Lifestyles

These guys give great advice on food and record 5-10 minute clips of meal prep etc.

Was looking for some advice chaps.

I go to the gym say 3-4 times a week. Enjoy using most of the different lifting machines, leg machines etc but I hate all running machines. Just find treadmill, exercise bike and cross trainer all really boring and can only ever do them for 5-10 minutes at a time.

I can never really make classes cause I work till 6, and by the time I arrived the first one's usually started, and I'm always starving and want to get home, so can't be arsed waiting for a later class.

Is there a more interesting way to get your cardio in at the gym, if you don't like running machines and don't have time for classes?

I always stretch at the gym before I start but my legs are quite stiff recently so not sure if that's related to lack of cardio or what..

Try Interval Training.

Different methods are possible but basically you cycle between working at a high intensity and recovering at low intensity. You'll be working too hard during the high intensity interval to get bored and the low intensity intervals will seem shorter and shorter as your recovery takes longer.

It should be better than simply slogging away at medium pace for ages

Suggestions welcome.

Try using your left hand and that should balance up your arm muscles a bit better

Suggestions welcome.

Freeweights.

Have a quick look here (assuming you're relatively new to this):

http://newbie-fitness.blogspot.co.uk/2007/01/stripped-5x5.html

Has handy links to .gifs of how to do the exercises properly.

Well after saying I was gonna do this and that at the gym and get right back into it I'm actually going to head there today after work and cancel my membership.

WIth the missus/wean, football team im helping run and just joining a new band I just wont have time for it at all. Certainly not enough time to justify £36 a month. I play enough football to get some decent exercise and I'll start going the odd jog if my back can handle it and the missus is wanting to start swimming so could do that too but im worried that if I lose enough weight then a good bit of my strength will be lost for football. I have dumbbells at home but they can obviously only do so much. Suppose if I keep up the football then any strength I'll need for it will be gained by constantly playing and being in those situations.

• 2 weeks later...

Downloaded a tabata timer.

Question - are you supposed to keep repeating the 4 minute sessions (8 x 20 secs with 10 secs rest) until you physically can't continue......or 3 x 4 minutes or what?

Edited by Dindeleux

Downloaded a tabata timer.

Question - are you supposed to keep repeating the 4 minute sessions (8 x 20 secs with 10 secs rest) until you physically can't continue......or 3 x 4 minutes or what?

The tabata protocol is 4 mins in total at maximal effort. If done correctly you really shouldn't be able to do any more. The original test subjects fell off the bikes they were on at the end of it.

It's probably unlikely that most people would be able to perform at maximal effort for it though.

There's loads of good information on the internet, so wouldn't necessarily bother with buying anything. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition would be a good place to start.

http://liamrosen.com/fitness.html#part3

The whole guide is worth a look; it puts things across in a nice, easy to understand way.

Anita Bean, The Complete Guide to Sports Nutrition, ISBN: 1408105381

As for me

Physiotherapy has progressed to the point where I can actually do something genuinely cardiovascular again.

I did 1 km freestyle in 20 minutes yesterday.

A few years back I did 5 km at that pace but the fact that my shoulder isn't in agony today means this feels like a win

Cheers all. Found yours particularly useful Thistle. I've got Anita Bean's Strength book so may give her nutrition one a go as well.