The get fit, stay fit thread

Anyone on an exercise kick for January? I don’t need scales to tell me my tops are all a bit tight round the middle (I blame working near a cheese toastie shack all last month and indulging every lunchtime). Had started getting fit again last summer but then got covid and had no energy for a few months and ended up snowed under with work and neglecting my general well-being.

Making a conscious effort to make health and fitness a higher priority. As well as gym/walks/runs I’ve started doing 3 minutes of skipping. Starting with 4x3 minutes, did 6x3 mins earlier and aim to build up to rattling off 12x3 mins (minute rest between “rounds”). Good way to get a sweat on. 

5 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Anyone on an exercise kick for January? I don’t need scales to tell me my tops are all a bit tight round the middle (I blame working near a cheese toastie shack all last month and indulging every lunchtime). Had started getting fit again last summer but then got covid and had no energy for a few months and ended up snowed under with work and neglecting my general well-being.

Making a conscious effort to make health and fitness a higher priority. As well as gym/walks/runs I’ve started doing 3 minutes of skipping. Starting with 4x3 minutes, did 6x3 mins earlier and aim to build up to rattling off 12x3 mins (minute rest between “rounds”). Good way to get a sweat on. 

Yes starting back in earnest today was the first day which felt good.

3 minutes of skipping is impressive, I can do 3 loops before falling over.

2 minutes ago, 101 said:

Yes starting back in earnest today was the first day which felt good.

3 minutes of skipping is impressive, I can do 3 loops before falling over.

Did 18 minutes (6x3 mins) of it earlier after a weights sesh and it gets quite addictive. Quite relaxing just staring at the timer and listening to music. 

Was lazy as shit all throughout November and December to the point where I wrote off December aftwr a week with the view of getting back to it in January. Started back this week and been back enjoying it. Aim is to do some form of exercise 6 days a week. 

Buah. Was around 77kg, sometimes a bit lighter around 18 months ago and I found myself back at 90 at the start of the year. Promised myself I'd get back down consistently below 80kg again by the end of the year by trying for 1kg every month and seeing where it takes me.

Enjoyed doing a spinning session on my own today morning instead of the cross trainer at the gym after putting together a quick fun play list. 

Just before Xmas was 81kg and 15% body fat which I was pretty happy with.

3 weeks later somehow 79.5kg and 17% body fat.  Seems Xmas binges have initiated some weird muscle wasting condition rather than just piling on the pounds.

Been up and down like a yoyo in the last year -

started January 1st last year at 133 kilos, went down to 115 kg then upto 129kg in June. I ran my ultra marathon in June then managed to trim down to 110kg in September for the Great North Run, after that I had a lot of shit from a friend who I'd lent a sizeable chunk of cash to had gambled his inheritance so from September to December I was constantly stress eating and had chucked exercise.

Weighed in on January 1st at 136kg so was a shocker standing on scales, first week back at it this week and have did well so just need to focus on trimming a couple of kg a week and getting the weight back off and keeping it off, makes my runs so much easier when I'm hauling 25 kgs less 🤣.

Been back in the gym for about 9 weeks since I had surgery on my ruptured achilles. Number of reps and the weights I'm lifting are all far beyond what I was doing in pre-season before my injury so I'm pretty happy with that.

Going to start running again at only 16 weeks post surgery, but that's going to be a fairly humbling experience. 

18 hours ago, Ekhibee88 said:

Thinking of doing a bit of walking to help me a be a bit more healthy. Is walking most days a good way to shed some pounds?

When I first got a dog it totally ruined all my gym routine etc. Probably the skinniest I’ve ever been though as although it wasn’t like hardcore exercise, the regular long walks really burn calories.

Got a shock last Monday - went back on the scales, 15st 2.5lbs. I'm just over 5'6 in height, so that's brutal. Signed up for the country walking "walk 1000 miles challenge", and managed 50 miles in a week so far. Putting money in a tin - £10 for every 10 miles, £20 for 100 miles. Giving me something to work towards whilst getting a bit of weight shifted.  I've done it before from this starting weight, got down to 13st but couldn't get under that weight and got a bit frustrated. 

21 hours ago, Ekhibee88 said:

Thinking of doing a bit of walking to help me a be a bit more healthy. Is walking most days a good way to shed some pounds?

Great way to lose weight with very little chance of an injury .....BUT..... to maximise the weight loss you need to walk at a good pace 4mph to 4.5mph. for at least 30 mins a day.

Started on the James Smith challenge mainly because I couldn't write a tag program and would just end up messing about or doing an old program in the gym plus want to shed a few pounds after Christmas.  Be a lot happier when the lighter nights come in and can get back into the hills. 

43 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Great way to lose weight with very little chance of an injury .....BUT..... to maximise the weight loss you need to walk at a good pace 4mph to 4.5mph. for at least 30 mins a day.

That is a very fast pace to walk at you really have to be concentrating and pushing to keep that up for a decent distance. 15 minute a mile pace for maybe 4 or 5 miles i find hard to keep up mainly due to losing concentration and just ambling along but yes a good way to lose weight and nothing like a good walk.

23 hours ago, Ekhibee88 said:

Yes any form of exercise is good, however, to shed some pounds it needs to be done alongside a calorie deficit 

14 hours ago, philpy said:

Got a shock last Monday - went back on the scales, 15st 2.5lbs. I'm just over 5'6 in height, so that's brutal. Signed up for the country walking "walk 1000 miles challenge", and managed 50 miles in a week so far. Putting money in a tin - £10 for every 10 miles, £20 for 100 miles. Giving me something to work towards whilst getting a bit of weight shifted.  I've done it before from this starting weight, got down to 13st but couldn't get under that weight and got a bit frustrated. 

Are you Ricky Hatton philpy? That’s his exact weight/dimensions pre fight-camp. There’s a recent George Groves podcast with him and he talks about altering his lifestyle to get the weight down a bit and how it has helped him.

Weighed myself last night for the first time in f**k knows how long. Generally been fairly stable, even when running 10/15k 2 or 3 times a week my weight stayed around the 82kg mark, but now down to around 77kg. My diet is an absolute fucking riot, so can only put this down to maintaining a fairly disciplined approach to exercise for a prolonged period of time. Not unhappy with this but all of my clothes are medium/34 waist and now everything is a bit fucking baggy, which is why I weighed myself.