The get fit, stay fit thread

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I bought some creatine capsules on a whim, does anyone have experience of using creatine?  From what I can see it's considered one of the few supplements to have value.

Don't start with the full whack (maybe one capsule instead of two?), and make sure you drink with plenty of water as it might hit your stomach. Think it's recommended to take every day for best impact. Definitely works though.

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/08/2022 at 18:00, David W said:

Don't start with the full whack (maybe one capsule instead of two?), and make sure you drink with plenty of water as it might hit your stomach. Think it's recommended to take every day for best impact. Definitely works though.

I've been taking three grams of Creatine a day since my post above.  Haven't noticed a significant difference in lifting etc but I do feel a little less fatigued on my final sets.  I did squats on Monday and the final set was less of a grind than when I previously squatted quite as heavy.  Could be down to a lot of factors of course but haven't felt any downside of the creatine so will continue with it.

• 4 weeks later...

Really trying to improve my fitness levels. I'm just over 5'6 and I'm 14st 7lbs. Joined the gym last week and feeling much better. Did 6.21 miles on the exercise bike on Monday in 30 mins, then 6.42 miles in the same time on Wednesday. Went back today and used the spin bike this time,  6.40 miles in 20 minutes.  Really happy with that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/09/2022 at 14:27, Florentine_Pogen said:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/sep/19/peloton-resell-pandemic-market-price

Any Pn'B folk own the world's most expensive clothes rack ?

Peleton being valued at $45bn is a good rebuttal of rational market theory. Ridiculous.

Having said that, someone along the street from me had a Peleton van outside their house all day the other day so people are clearly still buying them.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Peleton being valued at $45bn is a good rebuttal of rational market theory. Ridiculous.

Having said that, someone along the street from me had a Peleton van outside their house all day the other day so people are clearly still buying them.

Think most of the people getting them delivered now bought them about 6 months ago. The lead times on the things were ridiculous.

It's a genius business model to make quick money. Charge up front for a product you won't deliver for months, then charge them £50 a month to use it, which they probably won't. Sell business for billions.

On 08/08/2022 at 14:54, ICTChris said:

I bought some creatine capsules on a whim, does anyone have experience of using creatine?  From what I can see it's considered one of the few supplements to have value.

I’ve been back on 5g a day for the last month, not capsules right enough just the powder. Can feel the difference in my lifts already. It’s the best value supplement on the market the rest could be left out as long as you have your creatine + plenty water and your protein you can’t go wrong.

• 1 month later...

Anyone mind the wee triathlon from a few years' back? 1km row, 5km bike, 2km run?

I just had a go there and did it in 28:09 from start to finish.

Gonna try and do it once a week and see how much I can improve :)

Anyone mind the wee triathlon from a few years' back? 1km row, 5km bike, 2km run?
Gonna try and do it once a week and see how much I can improve [emoji4]
I wasn't that fit, or good at it, but when I look at the times I did that in, current me nearly vomits.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:
4 minutes ago, Gaz said:
Gonna try and do it once a week and see how much I can improve emoji4.png

I wasn't that fit, or good at it, but when I look at the times I did that in, current me nearly vomits.

Haha same, sure I had it down to about 23 minutes as I used to be able to do the run in under 8 minutes.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:
5 minutes ago, Gaz said:
Gonna try and do it once a week and see how much I can improve emoji4.png

I started my winter training last week - summer I play heaps of gowf and the walking and carrying clubs does make quite an impact.

I have a wattbike and connect that to Zwift (costs £12 per month but definitely worth it as it is brilliant bike traqining and so many options - courses, workouts and races) I just tend to focus on the power and this week pretty much consistently putting out 225w for my 30 min sessions whilst by the end of last winter I was hitting around 250w for most 30 min sessions.  It's hard work both mentally and physically but I will gt there again.  Tempted to do an FTP test (Full Threshold Power) each month but the thought of putting myself through such pain is very off-putting.

Incidentally, never done your wee triathlon (above) but used to do 2km rowing in 6.55, 5km bike in just over 6 min and probably could have done 2km in around 7.20....but not consequtively.  My prefered triathlon distance was ironman....... 

1 hour ago, Caledonian1 said:

Tempted to do an FTP test (Full Threshold Power) each month but the thought of putting myself through such pain is very off-putting.

There's different tests you can do and my favourite is the ramp test.  They all involve a bit of 'discomfort', but that's part of the fun. 

BTW it's functional threshold power. 😉

Big lesson learned in the gym on Wednesday, always use a spotter.

I've been working out in our office gym for the past 6 months or so, it's a bit of a strange set up in that they have the main gym with fairly modern equipment including an adjustable bench and then there is another room with an old school bench and rack. I prefer the other room as I like working out on my own. Last week I managed 215lb (98 ish KG) bench press unspotted, so thought on Wednesday I'll go for 225lb, felt heavy but manageable when I unracked it, got it half way back up and started to struggle, I didn't want to get trapped and have to roll the bar off me so just kept pushing thinking I may still manage, then pop goes my right arm, awful shooting pain and I know it's bad right away.

Ruptured bicep tendon with a "popeye deformity" and the big purple bruising looks like pictures of old people in the papers that have been mugged. Always use a spotter!

I've been working out in our office gym for the past 6 months or so, it's a bit of a strange set up in that they have the main gym with fairly modern equipment including an adjustable bench and then there is another room with an old school bench and rack. I prefer the other room as I like working out on my own. Last week I managed 215lb (98 ish KG) bench press unspotted, so thought on Wednesday I'll go for 225lb, felt heavy but manageable when I unracked it, got it half way back up and started to struggle, I didn't want to get trapped and have to roll the bar off me so just kept pushing thinking I may still manage, then pop goes my right arm, awful shooting pain and I know it's bad right away.
Ruptured bicep tendon with a "popeye deformity" and the big purple bruising looks like pictures of old people in the papers that have been mugged. Always use a spotter!
I got pelters off a lad at my work for hurting myself on a 200kg Squat. Indont see how a spotter helps you squatting tho. On Bench though, I always get a spot for heavy amd don't do it if I can't get someone. I have had to roll the bar off once. It wasn't fun or dignified.

25 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
1 hour ago, Torpar said:

I got pelters off a lad at my work for hurting myself on a 200kg Squat. Indont see how a spotter helps you squatting tho. On Bench though, I always get a spot for heavy amd don't do it if I can't get someone. I have had to roll the bar off once. It wasn't fun or dignified.

Agreed, I don’t think a spotter would make a difference if you were squatting - I assume the guy isn’t going to lift 200kg off your back, he’s just going to help you drop it to the safety arms which is what you should do anyway. If you ever watch powerlifting, when they squat they have a spotter under each end of the bar and someone behind the lifter.

Bench is a different matter though. Although you’d still have pinged your bicep with a spotter it would reduce the risk of further dropping it on your bonce. 

I am a social phobic in the gym though so I get away with it by not putting clips on so I can tip it off if I need to.

8 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Agreed, I don’t think a spotter would make a difference if you were squatting - I assume the guy isn’t going to lift 200kg off your back, he’s just going to help you drop it to the safety arms which is what you should do anyway. If you ever watch powerlifting, when they squat they have a spotter under each end of the bar and someone behind the lifter.

Bench is a different matter though. Although you’d still have pinged your bicep with a spotter it would reduce the risk of further dropping it on your bonce. 

I am a social phobic in the gym though so I get away with it by not putting clips on so I can tip it off if I need to.

Tbf there the owner and the manager that work at my gym and that's it. There's always one of them there so I ask them. 

When I hurt my back squatting it was a simple case of I'm fine.... then a split second later I'm not, and the bar got dropped immediately. Like you say, not a single thing anyone could have done beyond actually assist the lift which would be a bit pointless