The get fit, stay fit thread

Has anyone tried the Auto Immune Protocol Diet? Basically 30-60 days of a very restrictive diet meant to kick start and relive inflation, bacteria, leaky gut etc. No dairy, wheat, gluten etc. If anyone has, and would love to share their experience or even just a gluten free, or paleo diet, would love to hear your thoughts? I'm reasonably fit, but I really need to cut my sugar and caffeine intakes and tend to blow up after in the face/gut after too much dairy, pizza etc.

Cheers.

54 minutes ago, Kejan said:

Has anyone tried the Auto Immune Protocol Diet? Basically 30-60 days of a very restrictive diet meant to kick start and relive inflation, bacteria, leaky gut etc. No dairy, wheat, gluten etc. If anyone has, and would love to share their experience or even just a gluten free, or paleo diet, would love to hear your thoughts? I'm reasonably fit, but I really need to cut my sugar and caffeine intakes and tend to blow up after in the face/gut after too much dairy, pizza etc.

Cheers.

Would it not just be better to cut sugary stuff, caffeine and bread/pizza?

It's  better to make long term sustainable changes to your diet rather than ones which will only last a short time.

On 19/09/2021 at 21:08, Ross. said:

The thought crossed my mind, but it’s a branch of a sizeable chain.

They'll be franchised. Usually by drug dealers with a 'front man'. 

The gym I use is run by a man from Paisley who is somewhat regularly in the national news. 

The saunas reopened in mines yesterday, that's my Sunday sorted. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Alli said:

They'll be franchised. Usually by drug dealers with a 'front man'. 

The gym I use is run by a man from Paisley who is somewhat regularly in the national news. 

The saunas reopened in mines yesterday, that's my Sunday sorted. 

As far as I can see they are heavily subsidized by the health insurance industry to open in certain areas. Whatever the case, I don’t give a f**k. Managing to get in every other day and not once had to wait about to use any of the stuff.

9 weeks post hernia surgery and hitting a PB for bench press for reps so definitely more in the tank for next week. 

No restrictive diet just making sure getting my protein in and roughly at maintenance calories and especially after a weekend of plenty lager I’m delighted. 

I used to do metafit 2-3 times a week aswell as compound sets in the gym, but despite a handful of half-hearted attempts at home workouts turned into a fat b*****d over the last 18 months. Had my first metafit class back about an hour and a half ago and I'm still catching my breath.

I was 15st 8 at the start of this year which is by far the heaviest I've been in my life and was really affecting my mental and physical health. Started monitoring calories and going long walks and down to 13st 4 now, hoping to get to 12 ish by the end of the year.

Started playing 5's once a week a few weeks ago and realised I was fucking shamefully unfit, so I've decided to speed up the process. Went out for a wee jog tonight and did 4.5km in 24 minutes which I'm pretty happy with considering I've not went out for a run in about 6 years.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I have started going back to an actual gym rather than training in the garage - I twinged my back again and thought that a change would probably serve me well.  It's been good, there is a brand new gym near me and it's got a good number of racks and brand new equipment.  Pleased with it so far.

Also, I saw this - if you are training to impress the ladies, don't skip neck day.  Women love necks, apparently.

https://psyarxiv.com/yez3t/

• 2 months later...

Last posted on this thread at the end of September, which I think was the last visit to the gym I had.

Picked up a heavy cold, was back home for a couple of weeks, had to isolate for 10 days on return as the missus tested positive for Covid, then when I was allowed back out I took delivery of the keys to the house we bought and spent a few weeks getting that in order so we could move, which we done the week before Christmas.

Spare room in the basement has been converted into a home gym, rather than the traditional Central European dungeon, which I have been using 4/5 times a week since Christmas. Fair basic, rowing machine, bench and dumbbells(2 sets only up to 14.5kg) but so far I have managed a routine which is challenging enough without over exerting myself.

Took delivery this morning of a more than decent cross trainer and managed to get a pair of Bowflex 25kg dumbbells, which will more than cover most of what I do for quite some time, just need to make sure I maintain the motivation to keep using it all.

Routine so far has consisted of a 5 minute row as a warm up, then a superset of curls, crunches, hammer curls, squats, press ups, vertical raises and leg raises, which I’ve been repeating 5 times, with an increase on reps in the 2nd and 3rd set, then decrease in the 4th and 5th set. Usually finish it with a few sets of chest presses, but with the new dumbbells I plan on adding that into the superset instead, as these fuckers are much quicker and easier for adding/removing weight compared to the existing set. Also plan on doing at least 5k on the cross trainer at the end as well, but I’ll see how that goes, mostly it will be time dependent.

How is everyone else getting on with things?

Back to the gym today after my cold last week. 

I haven't posted on here before so might as well. In early December I was really feeling unfit. Not sure what it was but I was grumbling away. One drunken night the wife and I signed up for gym memberships - she was feeling the same way as me. 

My first appointment in and I was weighed and got a shock. 125.4 kg (19 stone 7) - about 7 pounds more than my normal weight. I am 6'4". 

So since then I have been going regularly 3 times per week. Cut down the beer drinking which I think was part of my feeling in December. Not ever been big into sweets and crisps, so that wasn't an issue. The weight hasn't come off very much but I do feel a hell of a lot better. I just have more energy. 

Heading out in an hour or so, as I find lunchtimes the quietest times to go. 

• 2 weeks later...

I generally use the gym for weight training only and have been trying to get in more steps walking each day.  The generic target is 10,000 steps but I find it really hard to hit that, espeically working from home and being in a sedentary job.  Last month I did an overtime shift one Sunday and my step count was less than 500 for the day, which is ridiculous.  

Anyone got any good tips for getting more walking time in?

23 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I generally use the gym for weight training only and have been trying to get in more steps walking each day.  The generic target is 10,000 steps but I find it really hard to hit that, espeically working from home and being in a sedentary job.  Last month I did an overtime shift one Sunday and my step count was less than 500 for the day, which is ridiculous.  

Walk to a shop in the morning that is a mile or so away from your house? Get a dog?

37 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I used to manage 10k just with a slightly over half hour walk to and from work and walking about during the day. If you can try and just go out for a couple of walks before and after work, gives a good buffer to the day as well. Feels a bit strange if you're working from home but just get up and go outside or have a wonder about the house in the same way you would if you were in an office getting a drink/skiving/whatever. 

Saying that I've been terrible recently but trying to get to 9/10k just with walking a day and going out running 3/4 times a week on top of that, if you get a decent lunchbreak WFH is really good for getting out running. Just moving house so need to find a new gym but will be trying to get there 3/4 times a week as well for weight training only.  

Also what detournement said, get a dog. 

I love my little garage gym and have been back training since the turn of the year - the DOMS on week one were insane. Think I drank everyday during my 2 weeks off over Christmas/New Year so not had a lick of booze since the bells and really upped my water intake. I've always had really bad dry skin but since taking in more water it's starting to clear up and I feel my mind is clearer and I feel less sluggish. This might sound a bit 'out there' as well but I've also been having a warm shower in the mornings and before coming out turning it down to balltic for 5 minutes or so - might sound crazy but I really feel some sort of benefit doing this for whatever season. I'm sure there is some scientific reason behind it - hot and cold therapy and all that. Granted it's not like dipping into a hot tub then a cold tub but it seems to do the trick or me and seems to kick my body into gear in the mornings. Thoroughly enjoying the progression of seeing the weights go up on the bar each week and sleeping a lot better as well. One thing I have noticed is I'm absolutely gutting everyday and eating like a horse but releatively clean eating - lot of good proteins and complex carbs. I was swithering about starting the new year by calorie counting but really can't be arsed with the hassle of getting calorie obsessed so for the moment I'm quite content to work to my training plan and look to progress each week weight lifting wise and diet wise cut back on sugars/booze etc. 

On another positive note our indoor 5's restarts tonight so can't wait to have a run about. 

On the 2nd of January I weighed in at 112.4kg, nearly my heaviest weight (117kg). Truth be told the last few months of 2021 I didn't do a bloody thing and was drinking almost every day. Since that weigh in though I have been on Zwift on Monday / Wednesday / Friday doing around 15-20 miles a session. I have also incorporated light (10kg and below) weights on Tuesday and Thursday, generally around half an hour. I am also doing around 10k steps a day, walking into and home from work. Lastly I am calorie counting, which has been nowhere as tedious as I imagined.

Today I weighed in at 105kg, which has been a massive boost in terms of motivation. I have set myself a goal of getting down to 80kg. It might well take a while, but I am looking forward to the challenge. 

• 1 month later...

Decided to working on getting abit healthier/fitter after being a lazy b*****d for the last couple of years and putting on just under 2 stone.
Obviously eating healthy is a big part of this and I'm going to do more exercise, mainly gym classes (bootcamp/spin type of thing) and out running when weather permits.
Has anyone used any of the paid on demand gym workout apps like Fiit or Peleton? Are they any good?

I hurt my back about a year ago whilst lifting something. Been on and off with pain since then. On and off with the gym albeit got myself into decent shape. However, it has came back and worse than ever. Doctor thinks it could be my discs so being sent for a MRI scan. Dozed up on various drugs for the pain. Hopefully not anything bad but will wait and see.