The get fit, stay fit thread

2 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Always been fairly slim built, so gym has been more about gaining weight and building size, but for the first time have noticed a bit of belly fat. So frustrating trying to maintain/gain weight and muscle in all other areas, but keep trim in the belly. No idea how to go about it tbh.

There are other people who will know lots more About this but I think gaining weight will always involve gaining a bit of body fat. Eating in a calorific surplus to gain muscle is going to result in some those excess calories being excess fat. I guess the way to deal with that if it’s bothering you is to modify your training and diet to eliminate it.

If you have been training to gain weight then you probably aren’t obese or dangerously fat so I wouldn’t lose too much sleep about it.

Bodybuilders deal with this by having a bulking and cutting cycle so you could pile it on and then eat nothing but chicken and Brocolli for a few months while hammering gear.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

There are other people who will know lots more About this but I think gaining weight will always involve gaining a bit of body fat. Eating in a calorific surplus to gain muscle is going to result in some those excess calories being excess fat. I guess the way to deal with that if it’s bothering you is to modify your training and diet to eliminate it.

If you have been training to gain weight then you probably aren’t obese or dangerously fat so I wouldn’t lose too much sleep about it.

Bodybuilders deal with this by having a bulking and cutting cycle so you could pile it on and then eat nothing but chicken and Brocolli for a few months while hammering gear.

Yeah I’m not noticeably fat or anything, just no longer lean. It’s just frustrating knowing that the likelihood is that if I start doing more cardio etc to lose the belly fat, the increased size in chest/arms/shoulders etc will likely regress back at the same time.

Doing squats last night and didn’t re-rack correctly which lead to the barbell falling and damaging my rack. One of the connecting arms is a bit bent, going to try and hammer it back into shape today.

Bit annoyed as it wasn’t a particularly heavy set and I managed it fine, just didn’t make sure it was back on properly. It has made me think maybe I should rejoin a gym as if I’d hurt myself doing it I’d be in my garage alone. I particularly think this now I’ve started benching at home. 

Rejoined the gym last night after a 2 year or so break. Been struggling to motivate myself to keep going at home, so took the plunge hoping that the tight fisted b*****d in me will make sure I get my money’s worth. Planning 2/3 gym sessions a week while still running twice a week, if I can find the time. 

Decided to try and give myself an extra boost in starting back to gym and doubling it up with a meal replacement so I went for Huel as it gives a complete 400 calorie meal in a serving.

Have signed up to the shakes instead of the dried meals because I don't mind a wee milkshake, my Mrs did the slimming world stuff before and they tasted OK. The plan is to substitute it in for breakfast one day and lunch the next.

f**k me, slimming world these are not. Chalky, fibrous things which are supposed to taste like Strawberries and Cream and Salted Caramel. They both taste of nothing at best and rotten at worst and you more or less need to chew them down. The only saving grace is that I made this morning's up last night so it's pretty cold which takes a lot of the edge off.

13 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Decided to try and give myself an extra boost in starting back to gym and doubling it up with a meal replacement so I went for Huel as it gives a complete 400 calorie meal in a serving.

Have signed up to the shakes instead of the dried meals because I don't mind a wee milkshake, my Mrs did the slimming world stuff before and they tasted OK. The plan is to substitute it in for breakfast one day and lunch the next.

f**k me, slimming world these are not. Chalky, fibrous things which are supposed to taste like Strawberries and Cream and Salted Caramel. They both taste of nothing at best and rotten at worst and you more or less need to chew them down. The only saving grace is that I made this morning's up last night so it's pretty cold which takes a lot of the edge off.

Far better result firing it through the blender rather than just a shaker. Actually tastes far better. I have the chocolate one though.

On 14/09/2021 at 08:31, djchapsticks said:

Tried Huel as well a while back, one shake was enough for me. Absolutely disgusting stuff.

20 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Far better result firing it through the blender rather than just a shaker. Actually tastes far better. I have the chocolate one though.

43 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Tried Huel as well a while back, one shake was enough for me. Absolutely disgusting stuff.

Blended it last night and refrigerated it overnight.

Whacked it down post gym this morning and honestly, the mixture of cold and blended made it at least a bit more palatable.

Finding it's actually keeping me full for a decent period of time as well which shocks me with a shake as I thought I'd be hungry at about 10am.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Blended it last night and refrigerated it overnight.

Whacked it down post gym this morning and honestly, the mixture of cold and blended made it at least a bit more palatable.

Finding it's actually keeping me full for a decent period of time as well which shocks me with a shake as I thought I'd be hungry at about 10am.

Are you on the normal one or the black edition?

At the gym at the moment, I think this is the 5th visit since rejoining. Part of the reason I joined the one I have is the opening hours, until 11pm 7 days a week. I tend to go a wee bit later, when the wee man has been put to bed and settled. Every visit so far there have been 4 or 5 people at most. Tonight I am the only c**t in. Not sure if I like this or not. I can only assume it must be mobbed earlier in the day, don’t see how it could be financially viable otherwise.

4 minutes ago, Ross. said:

At the gym at the moment, I think this is the 5th visit since rejoining. Part of the reason I joined the one I have is the opening hours, until 11pm 7 days a week. I tend to go a wee bit later, when the wee man has been put to bed and settled. Every visit so far there have been 4 or 5 people at most. Tonight I am the only c**t in. Not sure if I like this or not. I can only assume it must be mobbed earlier in the day, don’t see how it could be financially viable otherwise.

file-20210312-21-qj0bne.jpg?ixlib=rb-1.1