The get fit, stay fit thread

On 25/06/2021 at 22:12, Bairnardo said:

Today I patched my own gym session in order to help out for numbers at a class/team activity type deal because they were short.

At said class, I fucking malkied myself in the shin with a sledgehammer emoji31.png

image.gif.a761ab09a64512c5db22c1672a402ff7.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Made the switch to 5 3 1 today. Unsure how it will go for actually increasing numbers, but it certainly made me feel like big man as I lifted a PB for every exercise.on the single rep, including finally, at the age of 35, a 100kg bench press. Appreciete thats not big for some bit its been a mental barrier for me in the past.

200kg deadlift to fall before the end of July IMO leaving the squat suddenly as the weakpoint

Another kit question, this time knee sleeves.

Does anyone use? Would anyone recommend? If so, which ones.
I use knee sleeves from Modifit. Got them a couple of years ago due to getting a bit of pain in my left knee when squatting. Definitely made a difference and offer a bit of support when going heavier.

In terms of brand, I reckon they're probably all much of a muchness. When I got mine they were a bit cheaper than the likes of Strength Shop and far cheaper than SBD (which is what all the pros seem to use).

11 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I use knee sleeves from Modifit. Got them a couple of years ago due to getting a bit of pain in my left knee when squatting. Definitely made a difference and offer a bit of support when going heavier.

In terms of brand, I reckon they're probably all much of a muchness. When I got mine they were a bit cheaper than the likes of Strength Shop and far cheaper than SBD (which is what all the pros seem to use).

Cheers mucker. Will order a set. 

Out for a 10k last night, first in around 6 weeks. First vax, heatwave, heavy cold, second vax, biblical rains in between that and the last one.  63 minutes and an absolute slog, as opposed to a fairly easy 53 to 55 minutes normally.

I use knee sleeves while squatting. My knees are a lot better after stopping running but I like to give them a bit of protection.

I strained a muscle in my back so haven’t lifted in two weeks. I don’t think I did it lifting but I just don’t know. I did overhead press on the Saturday and started feeling pain on Monday, progressively getting worse all week until ended up getting taken to hospital to ensure I wasn’t having a heart attack 😂

Pain gone with a course of codeine and I’ve gone to a physio who gave me a massage which helped a bit and has a few things she wants to do. Not being able to lift weights is shit though. 

Tried a belt today. I liked it for squats, but not for deadlifts. Found it uncomfortable and distracting, so will continue using for squats.

200kg deadlift passed. 10kg to add to the squat next week and my entry to the 500 club will be sealed. Pretty pleased with myself if im honest

I'm getting married at the end of the year so have decided to take up running again and shift a bit of weight. I'm currently sitting around 16 stone and wouldn't say I'm fat by any means but would probably feel and look a bit better if I could shift a stone or so.

Went a run yesterday and jesus f**k am I unfit. I've never been anything close to being a distance runner but used to comfortably do a 5k in under 25 minutes. Went out yesterday and it took a good half hour with me having to stop and walk a couple of times. I'm sure I'll get that time back down but my first target is to complete a run without stopping to die [emoji23].

Done my back today on squats. Felt one muscle or maybe nerve pull hard at the bottom of a squat and jumped out from under the bar. Fucking shat myself, was nearly greetin! Can walk about ok, bit sore to bend some ways etc so just hoping I dont seize in the coming days.

Either way though, I suspect im finished at the level of weight. Dont recover quick at my age and confidence will take longer to return I would think [emoji19]

• 3 weeks later...

Been 4 weeks without the gym and it’s killing me more mentally than physically as sometimes a break for the body is good but had hernia surgery and recovery hasn’t been the best with my wound becoming infected setting me back a week or so. Think tomorrow may be my first session back as the last 10 days I’ve been increasing my steps (30k +) on my days off and fair to say I’m buzzing to get back at it.

2 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

@Boostin' Kev

Let’s go champ

61408CFF-D092-4A8F-98C7-1A4AA8FAFEB7.jpeg

Getting my own 16ozs for sparring only next week.  Toiling a bit this week to get in hoping for 4pm tomorrow will bring my stuff with me and give you a shout during the day.

Edited by Boostin' Kev

9 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Getting my own 16ozs for sparring only next week.  Toiling a bit this week to get in hoping for 4pm tomorrow will bring my stuff with me and give you a shout during the day.

Yeah, I’ve been overloaded with working and eating crap this last week. 

Always been fairly slim built, so gym has been more about gaining weight and building size, but for the first time have noticed a bit of belly fat. So frustrating trying to maintain/gain weight and muscle in all other areas, but keep trim in the belly. No idea how to go about it tbh.