The get fit, stay fit thread

Dropped the deadlifts down to 3 sets of 5 today. Probably make a firther move to 5 3 1 soon, and squats will probably follow in the coming weeks.

Getting to the point now where 25 reps is too much.

Also, traini g in this heat.... f**k me.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Dropped the deadlifts down to 3 sets of 5 today. Probably make a firther move to 5 3 1 soon, and squats will probably follow in the coming weeks.

I can’t be a pure blood Scot as I’ve always loved training in heat. 

Been doing some sprint intervals to improve running fitness using the curved treadmill.

• 8x 35 on, 20 off
  • 8x 20 on 10 off
  • 6x ramp sprint (steady build up to sprint speed and hold for 20s).

I hate cardio with a passion, but need to try and get a bit more mobile again before rugby (hopefully) restarts.  

It's a short, sharp session that leaves you burst.

46 minutes ago, Peter Grant said:

I can’t be a pure blood Scot as I’ve always loved training in heat. 

I like getting a sweat on but that unmistakable feeling after that lots of essential nutrients/salts have been rinsed from your muscles isnt great. It feels a bit like a mild hangover on your holidays. 

On 19/05/2021 at 19:28, GiGi said:

I've been at the gym since start of last week again, 4 sessions in, spacing out muscle groups and last 2 days my chest and shoulders have been in agony. Oh well.

Also been running for around 5 weeks or so and down about 3kg, trying to lose another 10 kg and quite pleased with cardio progress already.

But then had a game of 7s back on Monday, fair struggled (no worse than the rest of the boys at least) and back at 5s tonight which was absolutely horrid. Rarely felt less fit in my entire life. 

Only way is up I suppose. 

3rd game of 7s in last night and I felt much better. Pissing with sweat after about 30 seconds of the game but generally felt alright even up to the end of the game and covered a lot more ground. 

Weight doesn't seem to have budged since then but I'm already a fair bit fitter and I've been able to lift more and for longer on gym days as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Pato said:

Quite like Tom Hardy for just being totally honest that he juices for roles that require it.

Marvel films are billion dollar products.  Why would they risk that against an actor having a few too many beers over summer and causing them issues with filming etc?  No problem with any of them getting on the Mexican vitamins.  Selling a fitness app on the back of it, while pretending it's doing compound lifts and eating lots of turkey meat that gets him like that is disgraceful.

On 01/06/2021 at 13:58, Bairnardo said:

Where do you train?

Not able to deadlift at the moment due to my hernia ( due an op) but been blasting the gym since it reopened and definitely feeling a difference and when lifting but also physically which is a bonus. 

1 minute ago, gav-ffc said:

Where do you train?

Not able to deadlift at the moment due to my hernia ( due an op) but been blasting the gym since it reopened and definitely feeling a difference and when lifting but also physically which is a bonus. 

Iv been all over the place but currently at Lone Wolf. 

Lifetime PB on the deadlift today of 170kg for 4. Reckon the 200 will go soon. Also keeping pace with the squats but will need longer for the big one there I think.

Bench is another matter. Fucking welded to 80 kg and dont know where im going to find another 20 from to complete the 500 kg target

Lifetime PB on the deadlift today of 170kg for 4. Reckon the 200 will go soon. Also keeping pace with the squats but will need longer for the big one there I think.

Bench is another matter. Fucking welded to 80 kg and dont know where im going to find another 20 from to complete the 500 kg target
I've set a few PRs in recent weeks which is strange considering I don't feel as strong as I did prior to lockdown and my diet has consisted mainly of booze (certainly at weekends anyway) with the amount of social events I've had to catch up on.

I might sell my training plan - "Lifting with lager".

5 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I've set a few PRs in recent weeks which is strange considering I don't feel as strong as I did prior to lockdown and my diet has consisted mainly of booze (certainly at weekends anyway) with the amount of social events I've had to catch up on.

I might sell my training plan - "Lifting with lager".

I cant explain the decent progress iv made in 5s. I am now lifting equal or heavier in all except bench, as I was last time I had a good run at 5s which was 2013. Bizarre that older me is stronger. 

Now, my wallet is open. Shut up and take my money

On 18/06/2021 at 12:18, Bairnardo said:

Maybe worth giving the Smolov Jr for Bench programme a try.

Exercise regime has gone to shit the last month or so. Mix of constant long shifts, the weather making it too hot or too fucking thunderstormy, and my first covid jag seemingly destroying my stamina despite only having a headache for a few days after it. Really need to get back into the swing of it.