The get fit, stay fit thread

53 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Was writing my name on the sheet at the end like I had Parkinsons. 

You’re looking in great nick. Look like you’ve done an hour on the kettlebells for every pizza I’ve tucked away in the last year. The pads are the killer for me. There’s nowhere to hide. 

10 minutes ago, Rasputin said:

You’re looking in great nick. Look like you’ve done an hour on the kettlebells for every pizza I’ve tucked away in the last year. The pads are the killer for me. There’s nowhere to hide. 

Just been taking out lockdown frustration on the kettlebells really, having pubs and restaurants shut didn't do me any harm either. Toiling towards end of the rounds on pads just pushing out and hoping for the best. 

Edited by Boostin' Kev

• 2 weeks later...

Think I have got past the tentative, easing in phase at 5x5s and how now foind my working max for 5 sets of 5 in almost all the lifts. Possibly a wee bit more to squeeze out on the squats but the real hard work starts now

Slowly but surely starting to build up some decent numbers again. Going to get back on to 5/3/1 from next week as I've always found that works best for me.
Il be trying that in the coming weeks as 25 heavy deadlifts seems quite wearing.

Is anyone a member of Xercise4Less in Falkirk (or even any other Xercise4Less gym)? How are they working just now - do you need to book sessions?

I simply can't motivate myself to work out at all at home now. I'm well aware they're not the best gyms but I need something that's reasonably priced on the way home from work.

4 hours ago, Gaz said:

Is anyone a member of Xercise4Less in Falkirk (or even any other Xercise4Less gym)? How are they working just now - do you need to book sessions?

I simply can't motivate myself to work out at all at home now. I'm well aware they're not the best gyms but I need something that's reasonably priced on the way home from work.

Get along to BST, 24 hours accces just down the road.

4 hours ago, Gaz said:

Mates just informed me it’s in and out without booking.

I've been at the gym since start of last week again, 4 sessions in, spacing out muscle groups and last 2 days my chest and shoulders have been in agony. Oh well.

Also been running for around 5 weeks or so and down about 3kg, trying to lose another 10 kg and quite pleased with cardio progress already.

But then had a game of 7s back on Monday, fair struggled (no worse than the rest of the boys at least) and back at 5s tonight which was absolutely horrid. Rarely felt less fit in my entire life. 

Only way is up I suppose. 

18 hours ago, gav-ffc said:

Get along to BST, 24 hours accces just down the road.

Cheers. I've sent them a message. Do you know how many racks they have? Most of my training is on barbells so I don't want to go somewhere that has like one rack with ten folk trying to use it at once.

57 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Cheers. I've sent them a message. Do you know how many racks they have? Most of my training is on barbells so I don't want to go somewhere that has like one rack with ten folk trying to use it at once.

They have 2 racks and a Smith machine plus a area to do deadlifts etc  but depending on what time your going it’s generally quiet throughout the day. Never had to wait for any equipment when I’ve been in since going back when they reopened.

Does anyone wear a belt for squatting? Last week I was feeling them in my lower back. Suspect maybe hinging over too far as the weight got heavier.

I have seen folk wearing belts but unsire what they are really for
Yeah I'll use one for heavy deep squats, although I've switched to box squats more recently.

They're good for helping to keep your core tight and offer some protection to your lumbar, but good technique will do that too. Generally only going to make a difference if it's a really heavy squat.

I struggle with my lower back too, I've used box squats, front squats and hack squats as a variation. Trap bar deadlifts only as well.

Does anyone wear a belt for squatting? Last week I was feeling them in my lower back. Suspect maybe hinging over too far as the weight got heavier.

I have seen folk wearing belts but unsire what they are really for

I usually wear my belt quite a bit in the gym as hurt my lower back a while back. Feel it gives me more support and ensures my technique is a lot better