The get fit, stay fit thread

I've started using MyFitnessPal to track food, it's actually quite interesting.  I've always thought I did OK with getting enough protein but it seems I've been missing my target for it.  I don't want to start tanning shakes so am going to focus on getting some good protein in every meal.

My weight has ballooned up again. I went from 17st 2lbs in August 2018 to 13st 13lbs in January 2019 - my daughter was born in February 2019 and I didn't want to be an obese Dad. It felt like 'mission accomplished' and I took my eye off the ball. In the two years since then, my weight slowly but surely gone back up to 17st 2lbs (on 19 February 2021). I didn't weigh myself too often in those two years, but whenever I did and let's say I was 15st 5lbs, I'd just think to myself 'that's not too bad, remember you were 17st 2lbs at one point'. So when I hit that weight again I just thought 'you fucking idiot'. 

I've managed to get down to 16st 1lbs after five and a half weeks of: calorie counting (giving myself a range of anywhere from 1900-2100), making sure I walk 10,000+ steps every day, and running. I've ran 5km three times since last Monday, so going to try keep that up. I've also cut back on booze a lot - I think since I started trying to lose weight again I've had about 3 pints, 2 glasses of wine, and 2 glasses of Prosecco. I hope to be back under 14st again in the summer.

Been getting back into exercising during lockdown 3 after doing pretty much nothing in the first 2. Trying to get into a 3 day cycle of 6km run/1 hour bands workout/yoga. Finding myself able to increase the distance/intensity of these exercises and I'm recovering faster too, becoming quite addictive. Also making sure I'm out for an hour's walk every day unless it's apocalyptic out, my job is quite sedentary by nature and will be at home for the foreseeable future so I've really wanted a better routine.

Anyways, I know BMI isn't the world's best indicator but today was the first time I've weighed myself since probably 2014/15 where my BMI was in the healthy range so I'm quite happy. Probably lost 13kg or so in the past couple of months and I'm hoping to lose another 10kg but likely over a longer time period.

Just really happy to be able to see the change on the scale, my clothes etc and as a result my attitude towards food has improved too. Sadly still a Falkirk fan so it's not all positive.

Edited by ilostmyself

The crackpot Congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Green has posted video of her doing Crossfit style workouts, linkikng them to protection from Covid.  She is a former Crossfit gym owner.

Make America crippled again. 

I'm no expert but f**k me, the form on those pull ups :lol: What is she doing?

Picked up an injury which has plagued me for weeks. Due to a shitty home desk. Have now changed desk and chair. Rested for a week or so.

Have started doing pilates the last few days which is new but rather enjoyable. Does this make me officially old? Feel like i need to add this to my week permanently alongside my weights

On 30/03/2021 at 10:56, Slacker said:

I've managed to get down to 16st 1lbs after five and a half weeks of: calorie counting (giving myself a range of anywhere from 1900-2100), making sure I walk 10,000+ steps every day, and running. I've ran 5km three times since last Monday, so going to try keep that up. 

Yesterday I ran 5km under 30 minutes (29:46). Never really been into running except for a brief spell in 2013/14, so that's the first time I've ever done that. Very happy with that time.

On 02/04/2021 at 11:43, ICTChris said:

The crackpot Congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Green has posted video of her doing Crossfit style workouts, linkikng them to protection from Covid.  She is a former Crossfit gym owner.

Make America crippled again. 

I'm no expert but f**k me, the form on those pull ups :lol: What is she doing?

CROSSFIT - GIF on Imgur

Actually, I don't think I'm all that bothered about getting back to the gym. Ouch.
Gives the fear that happening. Sometimes pushing the weight too far just isn't worth it.

I've set up my rugby clubs outdoor gym again and been writing the programmes. My fitness has definitely taken a kicking but muscle mass and strength was well maintained with what I had. The extra kgs I had need shifting though...

That's me completed 4 weeks of the Couch to 5k app, was a little sceptical at first but found the app to be very helpful.

Needed to make a start as lockdown has seen me hit my heaviest I've been at 19 stone, was in the 15s when my son was born nearly 5 years ago.

Running has been hard but manageable, chuffed with myself as most of my adult life I've only ran when playing 5s, very seldomly last few years, or a quick dash for a bus. Determined to keep it up.

Has anybody completed this app and kept up running afterwards?

That's me completed 4 weeks of the Couch to 5k app, was a little sceptical at first but found the app to be very helpful.

Needed to make a start as lockdown has seen me hit my heaviest I've been at 19 stone, was in the 15s when my son was born nearly 5 years ago.

Running has been hard but manageable, chuffed with myself as most of my adult life I've only ran when playing 5s, very seldomly last few years, or a quick dash for a bus. Determined to keep it up.

Yes. 8 years ago or there abouts.

Following this enforced delay, my push for the 500 club will begin in earnest soon.

I might just train 5x5 and push the weight up that way, but was wondering, would it be just as effective to just focus on squats, dead lift and bench?

I realise that pushing towards an arbitrary figure might seem a bit pointless to some but I have always struggled without a goal, so that's my goal. I want to keep doing sessions on the bag and pads when allowed, as well as outdoor classes, so weights can't be everything I do.

On 11/04/2021 at 13:29, LoonsYouthTeam said:

Just completed this for the second time. Determined to keep at it so now doing a 5k to 10k program. 

Been back for a 4 week block of social distanced training, and my hamstrings and back are in absolute bits. Might be my age, volume of weight lifting I've done during lockdown or the hard ground but I'm struggling to even move half way through the session.

Might need to ditch the squats and deadlifts and get some sprint reps in.