The get fit, stay fit thread

6 minutes ago, Aufc said:

High levels of light rep weight lifting is effective if done as part of a HIIT workout whereby you are essentially working out constantly for 30-40 minutes.

For anything other, you should use progressive overload. This can either be from more weight or more reps at same weight

*disclaimer - this is just my personal view. Could be shit*

Yeah that’s absolutely right, you can use it as part of HIIT. I don’t have any evidence for this but I’d bet that it’s not the most efficient form of HIIT though. Better do routines on a stationary bike (when I get my finger out and do it I do a Tabata variant, 2 mins warm up then four mins of 20 secs flat out, 10 secs rest) or doing hill sprints. I haven’t actually done any cardio in months but there’s a good hilly park near our new home and when this snow is gone I’m going to get back to it.

10 minutes ago, Shandön Par said:

If you’re both quite sporty then a hybrid/cross but if you’re just taking steps to go from doing not much to doing something, then mountain bikes might be better. More relaxed riding positions and cope with any conditions/terrain. An experienced cyclist will feel frustrated in towns on a mountain bike as not fast enough but if you’ve nothing to compare it to it’s still a good buzz.

And I know not everyone is made of money but don’t go too cheap either as that can spoil (too heavy) your fun. A proper bike shop will likely have entry level mountain bikes for maybe £400ish?

Cheers mate. We're not really that sporty but we're not knackered after taking the bins out either. Mountain bike seems like it's probably the right way to go.

Out of curiousity, what kinda weight is too heavy do you think? I've seen one advertised for 200 quid, but it's 14 kilos.

20 hours ago, ICTChris said:

As always I’d have to defer to people who know more than me, of whom there are many in this thread and elsewhere but IMO 

It depends. Lifting heavier weights will build more muscle which will help with body composition and losing fat, if not necessarily weight. It will also burn more calories.

Really though, if you want to lose weight then high levels of light rep weight lifting probably isn’t a very effective way to do it.  You will need to get into a calorific deficit and activities like steady state cardio or HIIT will be more effective. 

As you say  weight-loss, regardless of reps v. weight,  is just calorie deficit.  You definitely burn more by doing more reps with a heavier weight, but it's a double edged sword.  Heavy weight and high volume reps is essentially hypertrophy which would require, in order for you to not feel like a worn out mess, quite a high calorie intake.  Again, as you've said, that's more likely to have an impact on body composition rather than out and out mass so it depends on what the goal is.  

Light weights can still help burn calories, but you need to to make sure you are doing enough reps and enough intensity to get your heart rate elevated enough.  HIIT is by far the most effective way to do that, I've found.  Steady state cardio does burn calories but I've read plenty of things that say it's not really the most efficient if you want to maintain some strength and muscles - it'll just make you skinny over time.  

I've said before that I'm not a fan of CrossFit - as much due to the culture as anything else - but there are some aspects worth looking at.  I don't think trying to get anyone to do snatches, cleans or any other complex olympic lifts for time or reps is a good idea; even weighted squats are risky once you are fatigued (I once got stuck at the bottom of a 190kg squat at the end of a session and it did a big number on my lumbar).  But, at it's core, it's just circuit HIIT training.  I like the bodyweight stuff, it's quite a good way to get a sweat on that kind of thing will help with calorie burn.   There's an app I've used called SmartWod Generator.  You can put in the equipment you have and it comes up with different workouts (including timers and logs).  Worth giving that a try if you're looking for something more circuit based, but I always give the stuff involving olympics a miss.  I train cleans and snatches, but only in the low rep range for power development.  

Yeah that’s absolutely right, you can use it as part of HIIT. I don’t have any evidence for this but I’d bet that it’s not the most efficient form of HIIT though. Better do routines on a stationary bike (when I get my finger out and do it I do a Tabata variant, 2 mins warm up then four mins of 20 secs flat out, 10 secs rest) or doing hill sprints. I haven’t actually done any cardio in months but there’s a good hilly park near our new home and when this snow is gone I’m going to get back to it.

I think both have merits. Your calorie burn from cardio will be higher during the exercise but with weights you continue to burn calories after you have finished.

I think the general message is do what you fucking like as long as its something you enjoy as this will ensure you stick at it. As long as you are doing something

48 minutes ago, G51 said:

Cheers mate. We're not really that sporty but we're not knackered after taking the bins out either. Mountain bike seems like it's probably the right way to go.

Out of curiousity, what kinda weight is too heavy do you think? I've seen one advertised for 200 quid, but it's 14 kilos.

The cheaper ones like that are made of heavy steel and ask such will shake your bones, not be very robust, break easily, be hard to get uphill and simply to haul about. So, not so much a target weight but something with an aluminium frame anyway. The best deals can be old stock (eg 2019 model) bikes. You might see stuff cut from £500 to £350 simply because there’s a new one with a flashy new paint job. A few bike shops (eg Edinburgh Bicycle co-op) do 0% credit too and will deliver.   

Looking for some advice. I've got a bench, barbell and weight plates on order from Gorilla Sports  (ordered on 12th December and still waiting - long story) but I'm contemplating cancelling and asking for a refund. In the meantime I've been on the look out for places that might have some equipment in stock at the moment or at least that aren't extortionate. 

I've spied a few things on ebay and I'm a complete noob when it comes to that site having never ordered anything from there before. I seen this (https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/24037725412?iid=303658407903) and whilst it's relatively inexpensive I guess that's what's off putting. Would I be wise to give that a swerve? There's various sellers selling vinyl weight plates but again the price isn't like some websites selling weights. 

Anyone got any ebay experience buying fitness equipment?

I mean it’s £10 which is nothing but I also don’t like the idea of spin locks. There’s one on my curl bar which I got for free when I bought my barbell a couple of months ago, I hardly use it.

I have bought a set of plastic plates from an eBay shop and two iron 20kg plates from a single seller on eBay. Both are fine, the iron plates are pretty good quality. The plastic weights are fine too, not ideal but I just needed a reasonable set. I’ve got an order in with the Edinburgh Weight Stand Company for a pair of 20kg plates will see how they are.

Looking for some advice. I've got a bench, barbell and weight plates on order from Gorilla Sports  (ordered on 12th December and still waiting - long story) but I'm contemplating cancelling and asking for a refund. In the meantime I've been on the look out for places that might have some equipment in stock at the moment or at least that aren't extortionate. 
I've spied a few things on ebay and I'm a complete noob when it comes to that site having never ordered anything from there before. I seen this (https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/24037725412?iid=303658407903) and whilst it's relatively inexpensive I guess that's what's off putting. Would I be wise to give that a swerve? There's various sellers selling vinyl weight plates but again the price isn't like some websites selling weights. 
Anyone got any ebay experience buying fitness equipment?

I posted a few weeks ago but if you're just looking for something just to get you through lockdown then you can't really go wrong with resistance bands. I got a full set from Mirafit for about £80 and you can do a surprising amount of exercises with them.

If you lift heavy in the gym then they don't quite replicate free weights but they definitely do a job of maintaining muscle if nothing else.

12 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

I posted a few weeks ago but if you're just looking for something just to get you through lockdown then you can't really go wrong with resistance bands. I got a full set from Mirafit for about £80 and you can do a surprising amount of exercises with them.

If you lift heavy in the gym then they don't quite replicate free weights but they definitely do a job of maintaining muscle if nothing else.

Aye got a full set of them during the first lockdown and they've proven a worthy addition. Since moved house and now that I have a garage I'm trying to build up my own little gym. Funnily enough since my post my order from Gorilla Sports has been shipped so that should see me right 👍

Aye got a full set of them during the first lockdown and they've proven a worthy addition. Since moved house and now that I have a garage I'm trying to build up my own little gym. Funnily enough since my post my order from Gorilla Sports has been shipped so that should see me right [emoji106]
Ahh lucky you. I don't have a garage but was toying with the idea of getting a big(ish) shed and putting a basic gym in there. Unfortunately my other half said that she also wanted to use it for storing things which would have taken up most of the space and therefore defeated the purpose.

We probably won't be moving for another couple of years at least but it's already been agreed that we get somewhere with a garage and I'm allowed to turn it into a gym.

On 20/02/2021 at 21:58, Ron Aldo said:

Which bands did you get? If gyms are looking likely to return until May I’ll probably invest in some.

On 22/02/2021 at 11:10, dorlomin said:

Started with an empty bar at the end of October, now deadlifting 100kgs (including bar weight) for reps. 

Managed 100kg last week but was gassing out after every lift. Went back to 90kg and can do x5 ok. 

Got long legs so feel like the first/last part of the lift is tough to get momentum.

Enjoying it.

My delivery saga from Gorilla Sports continues hahaha. Ordered on 12th December (dispatched on 19th Feb) and received bulk of order yesterday (bench and plates). Still waiting for the bar which is due for delivery next week and a further set of plates that are due to be sent shortly. Tell you what, UPS are fookin useless and their tracking system is mental. Part of my order went from Germany, to London to Manchester to Edinburgh to Kirkcaldy and another part has went from Germany to London to Manchester to Dublin. That's not include other delays on the tracking such as Brexit reasons, customs, mechanical failures in their sorting hubs. Their customer service team are useless also - one guy telling me the tracking system is wrong and that it's not in Dublin but in London and another guy saying it is in Dublin and was routed to the wrong sorting hub.