The get fit, stay fit thread

The best bit of advice i can give you is to find a routine that works for you and will ensure you are consistent. Find a diet that is tasty but also healthy, again to ensure consistency. Obviously have the odd treat and “cheat” meal. This is obviously dependent on your aims and whether you are training for fun or training to get to a specific goal.

Dont chop and change routines. Just find something that ensures you are always getting better.

The best bit of advice i can give is to become a notebook w**k and document your workouts. Ensures you are always trying to beat your previous workout for that body part either through lifting heavier or lifting higher reps of the same workout. Also mix it up and dont just constantly lift 3sets of 8 reps etc

I've posted on this thread a few times over the past year about really struggling with fitness. For info, two years ago I could squat 120kg for 5x5, deadlift 120kg, bench press 65kg for 5x5 and run a 5k in 22 minutes and a 10k in 46 minutes, weighing about 12 stone.

Well, after that last shit year and getting Lyme Disease at the start of last summer my arse was well and truly kicked. Yesterday I weighed in at 14st 12lbs which is, by 1lb, the heaviest I've ever been.

So, I'm back on it, for what must be the hundredth time in the past few months, but hopefully this time I'll stick to it. I've set myself the challenge of being down to 13st in 100 days. Started off yesterday with a 5k on the treadmill (27:58) and then a chest session. Also walked for an hour.

More of the same today. 10k run planned for later on.

I've posted on this thread a few times over the past year about really struggling with fitness. For info, two years ago I could squat 120kg for 5x5, deadlift 120kg, bench press 65kg for 5x5 and run a 5k in 22 minutes and a 10k in 46 minutes, weighing about 12 stone.
Well, after that last shit year and getting Lyme Disease at the start of last summer my arse was well and truly kicked. Yesterday I weighed in at 14st 12lbs which is, by 1lb, the heaviest I've ever been.
So, I'm back on it, for what must be the hundredth time in the past few months, but hopefully this time I'll stick to it. I've set myself the challenge of being down to 13st in 100 days. Started off yesterday with a 5k on the treadmill (27:58) and then a chest session. Also walked for an hour.
More of the same today. 10k run planned for later on.

It sounds like you have had more important things on your mind. You know what you need to do which is the most important bit mate. Sometimes it takes something like that to give you some motivation and you have started which is sometimes the hardest bit. Good luck

I wouldn't say that any routine is wrong as such and everyone has different goals. Doing that same weight on the same day for the same reps wont grow much but will help with fitness and conditioning.

I did this for a few years with a multigym and didn't really get much results. I do feel that compound lifts is better for me, less time, more effort and better results.

I've completely slipped back into the old routine that if I am alone at home all day, I'll buy 100g bar of chocolate and a 300g bag of Haribo and munch it after lunch. Absolutely disgusting habit and I've started to get chest pains and scared myself into thinking I'm going to have a heart attack. 

I really need to replace these sugar cravings but it's so hard sometimes. 

Guest bernardblack
2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

I've completely slipped back into the old routine that if I am alone at home all day, I'll buy 100g bar of chocolate and a 300g bag of Haribo and munch it after lunch. Absolutely disgusting habit and I've started to get chest pains and scared myself into thinking I'm going to have a heart attack. 

I really need to replace these sugar cravings but it's so hard sometimes. 

Sounds daft, but have you tried chewing gum?

Guest bernardblack
1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

No, makes me hungry and I have a very conscious feeling about it being harmful to the environment. 

Fair. I try and have fruit in the house too. I hate throwing food out so I feel like I have to eat that instead of other stuff. Might help 👍🏻

Just now, bernardblack said:

Fair. I try and have fruit in the house too. I hate throwing food out so I feel like I have to eat that instead of other stuff. Might help 👍🏻

I'll give it a go if I can find an environmentally friendly version thanks! 

I also always have fruit at home too, but I have a mix of it for breakfast and for years now I've had sugar cravings that I've fed when given the chance. I'm going to try buy a lot of nuts as an alternative and try to force myself to wean off the sugar like some weird cold-turkey. 

Picking up a schedule of more sessions, shorter and more varied sessions, from the start of February.

Yesterday I ran out about a km, very gentle pace, to the bottom of a 3-flight outdoor stairway.

• One 2-flight run, rest.
  • Two 1-flight runs, rest between and after before homeward run.

During the post-stairs rest, I could hear a quite clear, penetrating bird call. Couldn't quite make out if it was a blue tit or long-tailed-tit, and couldn't see it in the trees. I did the old stereo-hearing thing, panning around, and could still hear it clearly; but still couldn't locate a clear direction, far less see a bird and identify it.

Then I realized that the calls were synced up with my breathing. I was hearing my own gentle, high-pitched wheezing after the stair runs. I didn't know whether to laugh or to go into a slough of despond about my terrible fitness in this area.

(Was going to post this in the Bird Watch thread, but there isn't actually any bird content so I decided to stick it here.)

Trying to get back into fitness after complete giving up after the 1st lockdown. Started with 2 3K's this week and gradually hoping to lift it from there. 

I'm asthmatic and ways conscious of catching myself out especially with the cold air at the moment. I'm actually managing fine at the moment breathing, i rarely feel out of breath but struggling with dull aches in my lower thighs. I put the down to just my plodding nature when I run. I'm over 16 stone which doesn't help. 

Initially tried to keep myself "bouncier" when running to minimise the pressure i'm putting on my legs/joints when striding but find it difficult to keep a steady pace. 

Was thinking about get some sort of leg strapping/support to see if that helped. 

Did my first squats in six weeks last night, having built my weight stand/squat rack.  Feels good man.
I toyed with the idea of getting a set of squat stands along with a barbell and some plates. Decided against it due to the cost and I'd expect (hope) the gyms will be back open in a month or 2, in which case I'd be left with a few hundred quid worth of kit lying about doing nothing.

Ended up spending about £80 on a full set of resistance bands from Mirafit which are doing the job for now.

Just now, Ron Aldo said:

I toyed with the idea of getting a set of squat stands along with a barbell and some plates. Decided against it due to the cost and I'd expect (hope) the gyms will be back open in a month or 2, in which case I'd be left with a few hundred quid worth of kit lying about doing nothing.

Ended up spending about £80 on a full set of resistance bands from Mirafit which are doing the job for now.

I quite like having a rack in my garage to be honest.  I think you might be optimistic about the gyms opening in a month or two as well.

Don't think I'll give up the gym membership just yet, although I'm a member of Xercise4Less so it's about £15 a month, which is nothing really.

I'm considering getting an air bike for the garage as well, my wife would use that as well.