The get fit, stay fit thread

5 minutes ago, super_carson said:

Crossfit jargon, and crossfit in general, can get fired right into the sea as far as I'm concerned.  

I did Crossfit for a couple of months but had to give it up as the times didn't really suit me.

The actual exercise sessions are great fun and did a lot of good for my physical health. But I didn't really buy into the community aspect of it.

2 hours ago, Gaz said:

I did Crossfit for a couple of months but had to give it up as the times didn't really suit me.

The actual exercise sessions are great fun and did a lot of good for my physical health. But I didn't really buy into the community aspect of it.

I always felt it was just a triumph for the marketing team at Reebok to be honest.  The whole concept of prioritising time and reps over form is really wrong for me, it just encourages injuries for people trying to do Olympic lifts with no proper training and the "pull-up" technique I've seen a lot of crossfitters do is just horrendous.  

It's not a proper progressive and planned strength and conditioning programme so gains would be marginal compared to structured training blocks with focused, progressive overload blocks.   I guess my focus has always been on gym work for my rugby career, therefore crossfit wasn't aimed at me and I'm sure it's great for people who just want to be active and get a good blowout, in which case fair enough and each to their own. 

The 'community' culture is a bit w**k though, IMO.  Essentially veganism of the exercise world.  

3 hours ago, super_carson said:

Crossfit jargon, and crossfit in general, can get fired right into the sea as far as I'm concerned.  

Yes, I agree but seeing it wrote down next to a program doesn't physically upset me, whereas hearing it used as a word had a similar effect on me as walking into a really rancid fart.

Been hitting the gym pretty hard the last 13 weeks. Until yesterday of course.

I've lost about 2 stone in weight in 12 weeks and must have stuck about a stone, stone and a half of muscle on.

Used to be all about the cardio (and impact cardio at that) before my back injury and subsequent surgery but I'm now about 60/40 in favour of weights and the difference is pretty marked already.

Pissed off the gyms are shut but I'm nursing a dodgy shoulder so taking this 3 week break to cut back on lifting just much and to let it heal up and instead, get out walking in the morning until they are reopened. Did 8.5k this morning.

I personally workout/training for many of the reasons that you do. I have always taken good care of myself. I had to have a few surgeries in 06-07 and was unable to workout like I normally do. I put on about 10 pounds and did not have the tone I normally do. I felt awful and was unhappy about the way I looked. I just did not feel my best as I was not working out and eating right. Luckily I have recovered from the fatigue of the surgeries and lost those 10 pounds. I am kind of glad I went through that because it made me realize how important fitness is to me. I just don't feel the same when I am not working out and eating right.

Edited by tatf

On 21/11/2020 at 10:23, djchapsticks said:

Been hitting the gym pretty hard the last 13 weeks. Until yesterday of course.

I've lost about 2 stone in weight in 12 weeks and must have stuck about a stone, stone and a half of muscle on.

You must have a good steroid dealer!

Even with drugs i'm fairly certain that's impossible. It's incredible how small changes can make you feel very different. 

Guest bernardblack
Anyone have good recommendations for exercise bikes? I've only got a budget of around £150 so I know that'll limit the options from what I've seen online but any decent shouts would be appreciated.

Late here but I bought this one a month ago.

SONGMICS Exercise Bike, Fitness Bicycle, Foldable Indoor Trainer, 8 Magnetic Resistance Levels, with Floor Mat, Pulse Sensor, Phone Holder, 100 kg Max. Weight https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VHKFWQP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabt1_s3aVFbP7DBNPC

Been doing up to 20 miles on it and it’s comfortable enough

39 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

Late here but I bought this one a month ago.

SONGMICS Exercise Bike, Fitness Bicycle, Foldable Indoor Trainer, 8 Magnetic Resistance Levels, with Floor Mat, Pulse Sensor, Phone Holder, 100 kg Max. Weight https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VHKFWQP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabt1_s3aVFbP7DBNPC

Been doing up to 20 miles on it and it’s comfortable enough

Thanks. Still looking around but that looks a good option.

Not been to the gym since the first lockdown. Even when they opened up I didn't feel totally comfortable going so, on top of walking and the odd park run, decided it was time to ramp up home exercising. Thought it was about time I did something about this lockdown weight!

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

You must have a good steroid dealer!

Even with drugs i'm fairly certain that's impossible. It's incredible how small changes can make you feel very different. 

Yeah I'm most likely exaggerating. It's hard to actually measure muscle gain as a weight though, especially when cutting weight as fat at the same time but the power increase and difference in muscle (under the fat) in such a short time has been staggering.

It'll be interesting to see if I cut weight any faster during the 3 week closure. Churned out another 4 miles this morning, most of it up and downhill so my core is getting a decent bit of attention. 

It's to be miserable and pishing down tomorrow morning so will likely get up at 6 and do a couple of 30 minute HIITs in the house and maybe some work with the 20kg weighted bag. Nice and easy, no heavy lifting.

I'm sceptical about whether you can actually lose fat and gain muscle simultaneously to any great degree. One requires a calorie deficit and the other a surplus. 

As you say losing fat is easily identified. Muscles changes are more likely to be due to less fat, less fluid getting retained if you are eating clean and existing muscle getting pumped rather than growing new tissue. 

There are a number of ways that you can lose weight, burn fat and add muscle. If you are completely untrained and sedentary before starting training you can do it. If you are hugely obese then training can have those effects. Also, if you are taking steroids you can achieve this.

It is very difficult though. Even professional bodybuilders tend to bulk up and then cut weight for competitions, sacrificing some muscle to get as lean as possible and they are all on the Mexican vitamins.

From the reading I've done, it is possible to drop fat and maintain muscle mass but it's an incredibly difficult balance to strike.  You'll need to be in a calorie deficit so your body burns fat, but be consuming enough protein to maintain your muscle mass.  I've read that around 2g of protein for every 1kg of body weight should maintain muscle mass, if you drop the carbs back (but not totally, your body still needs some) to the point that the majority of your calories come from protein then that may help.  I don't know how much this translates into developing muscle, as I'd have thought that requires a calorie surplus  which would only actually add weight.   

As ICTChris has said, it usually works out that people "bulk" (high calories, hypertrophy gym work) for a period then dramatically reduce their calorie intake while still consuming enough protein and doing enough reps to maintain a significant amount of the gained muscle.

I'm no expert and there are plenty of coaches who will give you more informed advice but I think that what @super_carson is saying is bang on.   Reducing fat and adding muscle are in the vast majority of cases incompatible.  I also think, but can't offer a hugely informed opinion, that dropping carbs and getting the majority of your calories from protein might hinder your ability to work out to sufficient intensity.  You just can't fuel heavy workouts without eating carbs.

Here's a video by Layne Norton about this very question