The get fit, stay fit thread

Shat it at the prospect of another lockdown and just parted with £100 for 16 and 24kg kettlebells.
I'm swaying over whether to buy a barbell and some plates. Looking at 100kg minimum but struggling to find anything which would give much change from £400.

I nearly bought a set last week but when Lanarkshire was put into Level 3 and gyms were kept open I decided not to bother.

I'm swaying over whether to buy a barbell and some plates. Looking at 100kg minimum but struggling to find anything which would give much change from £400.

I nearly bought a set last week but when Lanarkshire was put into Level 3 and gyms were kept open I decided not to bother.
Been looking on gumtree? Sometimes see some heavy duty stuff on there

Been looking on gumtree? Sometimes see some heavy duty stuff on there
I've had a look but it's slim pickings at the moment unfortunately. It does make me laugh when you see folk on there trying to punt a scabby set of 15kg dumbells for £200.

3 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

Can't go wrong with 16/24/32kg kettlebells for home training, can cover everything there. 

17 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

how many leg days did it take? I'm still not feeling as strong.

I don't do leg days, I do squats and bench one day and then deadlifts and press the next.  Try to get to the gym three or four times a week, depending on how busy I am or if I'm sore or whatever.  I've not been as much as I'd like as my gym is in Livingston as I joined one near my work.  I've now updated to be a member of the Wester Hailes gym so I should be able to get along more often.

I just checked and I have squatted twelve days since the gyms reopened.  

I've also started benching again.  I didn't bench for nearly a year as I have tendinitis in my wrist and was worried I'd drop it on my head but thought I'd go again.  It doesn't hurt my wrist but I've deloaded a lot and after six weeks of it I'm still well below what I used to be able to do.  I'm focussing on form with it and am happy to progress slowly, if I'm being honest I wasn't lifting it with perfect form before.  

Edited by ICTChris

In early July I knew I had put on a bit of weight, but it was still a shock to see the scales reading 16st 9bs, the heaviest I've ever been. Couldn't even blame lockdown as I was working right through it. Action had to be taken as I couldn't afford to buy a whole new wardrobe, never mind the long term health implications. Set an initial target weight of 15st which I managed to get to by mid September, so set a new goal of 14st. It's been years since I stood on the scales to see them have 13st at the start, but here we are today with this. Couple of drinks tomorrow night watching the game to celebrate. The hard work now will be to maintain that weight.20201111_145459.jpg

2 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

In early July I knew I had put on a bit of weight, but it was still a shock to see the scales reading 16st 9bs, the heaviest I've ever been. Couldn't even blame lockdown as I was working right through it. Action had to be taken as I couldn't afford to buy a whole new wardrobe, never mind the long term health implications. Set an initial target weight of 15st which I managed to get to by mid September, so set a new goal of 14st. It's been years since I stood on the scales to see them have 13st at the start, but here we are today with this. Couple of drinks tomorrow night watching the game to celebrate. The hard work now will be to maintain that weight.20201111_145459.jpg

Excellent work, sir. Enjoy the well earned drinks.

Been very lucky with having access to gym equipment throughout lockdown and being able to do proper structured sessions, and I've been able to hit some decent numbers due to rugby not giving my body a kicking and made some good gains with strength and hypertrophy - especially on my lower body (200kg 5RM squat and  high volume reps of 320kg on the leg press).  Lots of niggly injuries that I've had for years have also settled down, and it may prolong my career for  a couple years longer than I thought.  

The flip side of that, is since we went back to training late July and then stopped again in October, my running fitness is shocking and I currently have a stomach that looks like a burst space-hopper.  

Fife in tier 3 as of Friday means tonight is likely to be the last game of football of the year. Body fat is very low at the moment due to amount I've been playing. Cant wait to go back to being massive tbh, gym still open and a couple of pieces of home equipment should see me through the winter. #dece

I never got above 120kg 5x5 then started thinking what's the point in injuring myself trying to add 2.5kg every time I did it. Finally getting my 24kg kettlebell tomorrow so going to do the Simple and Sinister bell routine with days of dips/pull ups/squats/lunges in between.  I'm much more into using weights for fitness/endurance these days maybe even see @Shandön Par in Holyrood boxing soon.

8 hours ago, Boostin' Kev said:

I never got above 120kg 5x5 then started thinking what's the point in injuring myself trying to add 2.5kg every time I did it. Finally getting my 24kg kettlebell tomorrow so going to do the Simple and Sinister bell routine with days of dips/pull ups/squats/lunges in between.  I'm much more into using weights for fitness/endurance these days maybe even see @Shandön Par in Holyrood boxing soon.

Fckin weightlifter!

Good on you! I’ve been a slob for a few months having to work such long hours, renovating a place/moving and sold the business. Hopefully by mid December I’ll have a slightly less hectic lifestyle that allows me to get along there a couple of times a week.

1 minute ago, Shandön Par said:

Fckin weightlifter!

Good on you! I’ve been a slob for a few months having to work such long hours, renovating a place/moving and sold the business. Hopefully by mid December I’ll have a slightly less hectic lifestyle that allows me to get along there a couple of times a week.

Lochend lets known faces in for bag work. Be good to get into HBG, let me know if you can make it happen.

I never got above 120kg 5x5 then started thinking what's the point in injuring myself trying to add 2.5kg every time I did it. Finally getting my 24kg kettlebell tomorrow so going to do the Simple and Sinister bell routine with days of dips/pull ups/squats/lunges in between.  I'm much more into using weights for fitness/endurance these days maybe even see [mention=11914]Shandön Par[/mention] in Holyrood boxing soon.

If you’re looking to improve your max weight, I can’t recommend pyramid sets enough. When I’m training during a strength block I go for 6,4,4,2,2 on my main lifts and I usually get some decent gains out of it.

You can also work on concentric/isometric lifts if you’re not wanting to add weight straight away too.

Usually around 10-15%, depending on the lift, usually base it on my 1RM.  For example I'd do 6 x 80%, 4 x 90%, 2 x 95-100%.  If you're looking for a bit of a hypertrophy blow out at the end you can always chuck in a set of 10-12 reps at the end, but take the weight down (especially if it's dead-lifts or squats).  

Edited by super_carson

Anyone pay attention to World's Strongest Man? Tom Stoltman has just finished in 2nd place.

A few of the big hitters missed out this year but I think he'd still have been there or thereabouts. A brilliant achievement and he could definitely win it in the next few years.

17 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Gave this a go, nudging my 1RM down a bit as I was a bit heavier when I made it. It's quite a nice variation. When I do straight 5x5 I am guilty of wimping out on how deep I squat as I am keeping some energy in reserve for the 4th and 5th reps, when you're only doing 2 it seems to flip a psychological switch and you go for it more. Quite pleased with that, I'll try it again for a few weeks (restrictions permitting!) and see how I get on.

Yeah 4-6 week blocks is usually what I go for,  any more than that and your body stops reacting to the training.  Try to marginally increase the weight on each set, and don't be too afraid to fail on the 2nd set of 2.