The get fit, stay fit thread

How is it after I drop the better start of ten stone, try to eat more healthily, cut down my drinking and try to exercise more my body goes "nope" and proceeds to fall apart?

My wife and I have been following the Keto way of eating for around a month now and have lost almost 50lbs between us. I'm eating 1 or 2 meals a day, not feeling hungry and have more energy than ever before. I've always been heavy (i'm now the lightest i've been in about 10 years) and ate for the sake of eating. My body was genuinely addicted to carbs and other complex sugars in processed foods. It's not been an easy month as the cravings are still there for things like pasta, bread and chocolate but the benefits are really making it worthwhile. I'm not planning on being on this way of eating long term but would like to think that reducing my meals and portion control that i've learned on it can help me maintain when I switch back to a less restrictive way of eating. Things like a share bar of chocolate would be gone within the day in our house along with big bags of crisps and cans of fizzy juice. Nowadays we've just finished a bar of dark chocolate that we got a month ago to keep the sweet tooth at bay, I'm drinking more diluting juice and water than ever before and haven't touched crisps since. I hope it doesn't come across that I'm trying to preach but the talk of addiction made me think about how addicted me and the mrs were to, not just food but, shite food. It's taken a radical change for us to break that and I'm hoping I can carry the learning on. Does anyone else have any experience of coming off a restrictive diet and going back to a more "normal" way of eating?

2 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

My wife and I have been following the Keto way of eating for around a month now and have lost almost 50lbs between us. I'm eating 1 or 2 meals a day, not feeling hungry and have more energy than ever before. I've always been heavy (i'm now the lightest i've been in about 10 years) and ate for the sake of eating. My body was genuinely addicted to carbs and other complex sugars in processed foods. 

This is impressive. 

I'd like to do the same, but I used up all my willpower quitting fags 😆

On 23/09/2020 at 04:13, Cptn Hooch said:

My wife and I have been following the Keto way of eating for around a month now and have lost almost 50lbs between us. I'm eating 1 or 2 meals a day, not feeling hungry and have more energy than ever before. I've always been heavy (i'm now the lightest i've been in about 10 years) and ate for the sake of eating. My body was genuinely addicted to carbs and other complex sugars in processed foods. It's not been an easy month as the cravings are still there for things like pasta, bread and chocolate but the benefits are really making it worthwhile. I'm not planning on being on this way of eating long term but would like to think that reducing my meals and portion control that i've learned on it can help me maintain when I switch back to a less restrictive way of eating. Things like a share bar of chocolate would be gone within the day in our house along with big bags of crisps and cans of fizzy juice. Nowadays we've just finished a bar of dark chocolate that we got a month ago to keep the sweet tooth at bay, I'm drinking more diluting juice and water than ever before and haven't touched crisps since. I hope it doesn't come across that I'm trying to preach but the talk of addiction made me think about how addicted me and the mrs were to, not just food but, shite food. It's taken a radical change for us to break that and I'm hoping I can carry the learning on. Does anyone else have any experience of coming off a restrictive diet and going back to a more "normal" way of eating?

I’ve been on and off the Keto diet for a few months now. Lost about 10% of my body weight. Coming off it now, but like you, I’ve lost the sugar need. Slowly introducing more veg into the diet, but my days of rice, potatoes, and pasta are gone.

My gym has a booking system now which is grand, I can pick times when nobody is there to have my pick of benches and machines, except they seem to make PT sessions exempt from this. I was the only person booked in for a gym session today and there was 7 other guys all doing stuff and getting in my way. Poor show.
My gym has a booking system as well which is ideal for the reasons you mentioned.

The only slight issue is that sessions are an hour long so if I'm doing, for example, a heavy leg day then I need to go a bit quicker than I'd like and it can be hard going.

Do they let you book 2 slots on the trot? One guy seems to just book the whole day then only turn up when he feels like it. Seems to be a bit of a piss take if you ask me.
You can book 2 sessions in a row but they shut the gym for 20 mins between each session to give everything a clean so it would mean having to hang about until the start of the next session which isn't ideal.

Some guy called Calumn Duthie coaching keeps coming up on my Facebook, is this guy actually a well known fitness coach or have I just clicked on the wrong thing and subscribed to his pish by mistake? He actually spells his name Calumn ffs. 

• 4 weeks later...

@D.A.F.C was it you that was doing the push up thing, starting from a number and doing reps down to 1? 

I started doing this 2-3 weeks ago from 6, hilariously shit number I know. Today I'm up to 13, which is 91 in total but I'm taking a little over half an hour to manage it with some mini things like starjumps in between. 

[mention=59448]D.A.F.C[/mention] was it you that was doing the push up thing, starting from a number and doing reps down to 1? 
I started doing this 2-3 weeks ago from 6, hilariously shit number I know. Today I'm up to 13, which is 91 in total but I'm taking a little over half an hour to manage it with some mini things like starjumps in between. 
Yeah, still doing it except I now do 20,19 then 18,17
Did a 300 set on Sunday 30x10 sets every 30 secs.
Just build up and don't worry about numbers.
I tried to follow a prison routine which was 500 odd in ten mins. Chest started to hurt so stopped.

Went back to the gym for fitness reasons, and hoping to get back to pads and sparring, but I am being drawn back towards lifting heavy stuff.

It just much more enjoyable than any form of cardio, with the possible exception of the above mentioned, which isnt allowed now anyway....

Lifting heavy weights works your cardio vascular system. Do a set of heavy squats and check your pulse afterwards.
Aye, I know theres some benefit to the big compound movements. That's what I generally stick to. My days of needing t shirt muscles are long behind me. It's all about making sure I have the appropriate levels of man strength, and can impress the wife/kids by being able to pick things up.