The get fit, stay fit thread

Oof you reckon? Takes me 10-15 minutes just to do 5x5 squats.
If I just had 25mins I'd go with something like DAFC's said (minus the 50 pullups what sorcery is this) or just some running or rowing or something.
Five sets of ten or four 12-15.
50 pullups in a row is big drama show

30 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Done some weights today as part of a circuit. By my reckoning, I havent lifted a meaningful weight since early 2014.

I imagine tomorrow is going to be a seriously unpleasant day.

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but the day after will be worse. 

If it's any consolation, went for a run this morning. Tripped on a tree stump and proceeded to go arse over tit.

If it's any consolation, went for a run this morning. Tripped on a tree stump and proceeded to go arse over tit.
I know. And the day after tomorrow I am going to a class that I am told is utterly gruelling [emoji53]

I did press, squat and deadlift on my first day back and has sore legs for about a week. Yesterday I did heavier squats and presses and today I did deadlifts 25% heavier than last week and I’m not sore at all.

Gym has ‘No spotting’ rules now and I’ve had a sore wrist so am having to leave bench press for the moment.

I did press, squat and deadlift on my first day back and has sore legs for about a week. Yesterday I did heavier squats and presses and today I did deadlifts 25% heavier than last week and I’m not sore at all.

Gym has ‘No spotting’ rules now and I’ve had a sore wrist so am having to leave bench press for the moment.
I wasnt doing heavy at all, but I still suspect it's going to be sore going. Firdt one is always disproportionately worse than all others though. I shall hang my hat on that hope.....

On 03/09/2020 at 14:39, ICTChris said:

Try Stronglifts 5x5, a good barbell programme. You can probably fit the workouts into 25 minutes, maybe a little longer.

WHIT

On 03/09/2020 at 14:47, Bairnardo said:

I used to do 5x5s and really enjoyed it so I may try and factor that in once or twice a week. In a quiet gym I could rattle through it in half an hour so it will probably fit the bill. 

WHIT

It's about five years since I did Stronglifts so I went back and looked at it again and it did take me longer than 30 minutes.  I was lifting a lot lighter then so it maybe took less time but 30 minutes is probably a bit ambitious, more like 90 minutes, depending on how many warm up sets you do.  If you are lifting heavier then you might need longer between sets - IIRC the options are 90 seconds and three minutes.

It's about five years since I did Stronglifts so I went back and looked at it again and it did take me longer than 30 minutes.  I was lifting a lot lighter then so it maybe took less time but 30 minutes is probably a bit ambitious, more like 90 minutes, depending on how many warm up sets you do.  If you are lifting heavier then you might need longer between sets - IIRC the options are 90 seconds and three minutes.
90 minutes? How many exercises? I was doing squats, bench, shoulder press, deadlifts, bent over rows and pull downs. I am sure I could be done in half an hour as ling as we got a rack and a bench to ourselves.

Just now, Bairnardo said:
3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

90 minutes? How many exercises? I was doing squats, bench, shoulder press, deadlifts, bent over rows and pull downs. I am sure I could be done in half an hour as ling as we got a rack and a bench to ourselves.

I think we are talking at cross purposes, Stronglifts 5x5 is a specific programme, you can download the app.

The programme is two workouts, done alternatly.  

Workout A - squat, press, deadlift.

Workout B - squat, row, bench.

You do five sets of five reps with minimum of 30 seconds of rest between sets and warm ups and assuming you make all the reps you add weight each workout.

It's a good programme but for various reasons didn't work for me so I moved to my own version that is more focused on squats and deadlifts.

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I think we are talking at cross purposes, Stronglifts 5x5 is a specific programme, you can download the app.

The programme is two workouts, done alternatly.  

Workout A - squat, press, deadlift.

Workout B - squat, row, bench.

You do five sets of five reps with minimum of 30 seconds of rest between sets and warm ups and assuming you make all the reps you add weight each workout.

It's a good programme but for various reasons didn't work for me so I moved to my own version that is more focused on squats and deadlifts.

Aye, sounds basically the same as what I was doing. 5x5 and try to finish as heavy as possible. I will admit I was horrendously negligent with warm ups etc. It was a time of my life where I was wither rushing to get to work, or if I went after, rushing to finish and get to the pub. Probably doing it in half an hour now would kill me

34 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
37 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I'm not having you can do 5x5 of six exercises in half an hour.

13 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I'm not having you can do 5x5 of six exercises in half an hour.

Like I said, matching the weight with someone and going straight in when they are done. It's a while ago but I am standing by the half hour. Flew through it a good few times. 

Today I did a circuit of 6 exercises, starting at 10 reps all the way down to 1 and it took about 24 minutes. Not heavy granted, but I was a fucking wreck so not like it wasnt a big effort.  I dont like to f**k about at the gym. I do what I need to do as quickly as possible and get out. 

Just swing by to confirm that every muscle group in my body is in a shambolic state.