The get fit, stay fit thread

One big positive from the lockdown is that they're going to keep the online classes.  Got off the PS4 to do Vinyasa at 6pm tonight in the spare room when the reality is that I probably wouldn't have bothered going to the gym for it even though it's 5 mins away.

2 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:
Those numbers are insane. On a good day for me a 200kg squat and 150kg bench was around my 1RM. Fair play if you're hitting them for reps!

I've always been naturally strong, just never particularly fast or good at running drills, but the break has definitely helped as I'm in my 30s now so a lot of my niggles have healed, rather than just been "managed".  

One thing I swear as made a difference is the yoga I've been doing as well. Lots of pro guys I know have been doing it and it's big part of professional sport now. Would be worth checking out for those looking to boost strength, it helps with recovery and also works some of the smaller muscles that get neglected.

Edited by super_carson

Two weeks into 20 down routine. Did it three times per week which is 630. Seems ok, didn’t get too sore but I’m trying not to lockout fully and varying from wide, normal to diamond as they go down. Average time is about 15 mins. Found an abs routine to go along with it. Nicked from Manny Pacquiao except he doesn’t stop and does 20 mins ffs.

I think it’s good to have some sort of exercise target every day even if it’s a walk or anything.

Getting back into it now. Lyme is pretty much out my system (haven't had a bad day in a fortnight) so I've been getting out for at least a 5k most days. Able to start using the school gym again, so I'll be going there most days. And 5s starts up again on Thursday.

Just need to work on getting the weight down. Sitting at just over 13.5 stone, would ideally like to be down to about 12 stone by Christmas.

Anyone been back to the gym then since the majority of them reopened?

I had a proper "leg day" yesterday for the first time in months. Hadn't lost anywhere near as much strength as I had expected which was a pleasant surprise. The DOMS today are unreal though - I have to mentally prepare myself about 5 minutes in advance anytime I want to stand up.

35 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I had a proper "leg day" yesterday for the first time in months. Hadn't lost anywhere near as much strength as I had expected which was a pleasant surprise. The DOMS today are unreal though - I have to mentally prepare myself about 5 minutes in advance anytime I want to stand up.

I went last night.  As I am a member of a gtm near my office I had to drive 20 minutes to get there and when I arrived the new turnstiles weren't working but I showed the staff my QR code and it was fine.  The equipment has been spaced out to comply with social distancing and there are cleaning stations around the place.  Some of the Q&As on the website I read before said that people wouldn't be allowed to spot each other and exercise together but some people were standing next to each other when using machines etc.  People weren't all over each other though and weren't properly spotting so I guess they were OK.  The changing rooms were spaced out and they'd shut some of the toilets to allow for distancing.  It's a big gym though and was quiet whenI went so no issues.

I did squat, press and deadlift.  Very low weight on the bar, approximately 50% of what I was doing pre lockdown.  Felt good to be back at it though.

Was looking forward to moving the gym equipment at my club back indoors this week.  Went up yesterday evening to mark out the spaces on the floor for us to work in aaaaaand the ceiling has fallen down due to storm damage.  

Back to the car park squat club it is. 

I was back yesterday, but it was bench / overhead press day. Today is squats / deadlifts.

I've lost about 10kg from my bench / press, going to deload by about 20kg for squats / deadlifts.

first proper chest day in nearly 6 months. was delighted I'm still able to get a triple at 110kg I've lost a stone in weight over lockdown with running and what not so I'm pleased I've not lost a crazy amount of strength. My chest feels like it's been punched by prime Mike Tyson today though.

6 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

Not been to gym gym yet but was at boxing gym yesterday and feel like I must have been thrown out of a speeding car in my sleep last night. Got aches and pains in places I didn’t know I had places.

I went back to the David Lloyd in Dundee tonight. They had promised no booking system needed, lots of space, sanitiser, signage etc, etc. 

Staff were welcoming and the changes they have made look okay but once I started I realised I would then have to leave. Every bench busy, every cardio machine being used, lots of gym floor traffic and people doing laps looking for equipment (also lots of pairs and people in small groups wandering about together). I'm not too wary of the safety stuff but after being so excited to go back and being promised so much by the club, the experience was absolutely dreadful and I am already drafting a strongly worded complaint! 

On 01/09/2020 at 17:49, Shandön Par said:

Not been to gym gym yet but was at boxing gym yesterday and feel like I must have been thrown out of a speeding car in my sleep last night. Got aches and pains in places I didn’t know I had places.

How was it, you get to do bagwork/padwork ok?  Imagine it'd be a while before any sparring took place.

Joined a new gym yesterday. Not been yet but aside from smashing their extensive array of bags about, I have no idea what I am going to do. It's all S&C stuff. I think I need two programs, one that's about an hour long, and a 25 minute blast for when I am pushed for time.

Joined a new gym yesterday. Not been yet but aside from smashing their extensive array of bags about, I have no idea what I am going to do. It's all S&C stuff. I think I need two programs, one that's about an hour long, and a 25 minute blast for when I am pushed for time.
25 mins

100 burpees
100 pushups
100 situps
50 pullups

7 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Try Stronglifts 5x5, a good barbell programme. You can probably fit the workouts into 25 minutes, maybe a little longer.

I used to do 5x5s and really enjoyed it so I may try and factor that in once or twice a week. In a quiet gym I could rattle through it in half an hour so it will probably fit the bill.