The get fit, stay fit thread

On 30/06/2020 at 11:47, ICTChris said:

Bought some Olympvs jeans because I’m such a swole athlete.

They fit very well.  

Me, celebrating getting jeans that don't get stuck at my legs

The Tom Platz Leg Workout | Leg workout, Bodybuilding pictures ...

Oh dear. 

A shambolic and quite frankly embarrassing performance by myself this morning. I've kept up the bodyweight exercises but have not done any cardio bar a few short runs with the dog. Went out this morning and done just over a mile jog as a warm up and was pretty wrecked. Gave myself a breather whilst doing some stretches and then lasted 10 minutes doing intermittent distance sprints. I could barely lift my arms in the shower after it. 

My fucking arms! Embarrassing. 

59 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Oh dear. 

A shambolic and quite frankly embarrassing performance by myself this morning. I've kept up the bodyweight exercises but have not done any cardio bar a few short runs with the dog. Went out this morning and done just over a mile jog as a warm up and was pretty wrecked. Gave myself a breather whilst doing some stretches and then lasted 10 minutes doing intermittent distance sprints. I could barely lift my arms in the shower after it. 

My fucking arms! Embarrassing. 

Sounds like you worked hard and left yourself absolutely burst so you should be proud of yourself. Good effort. 

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have recommendations for a decent spin bike for less than £500? 

We’re expecting a wean in a few months and opportunities to get to the gym are likely to be limited. It would be good to have a bike in the house to do bits of cardio training whenever possible.

Edited by St. Jude

After admittedly enjoying the break from the gym these last 3 months or so decided to get back on the wagon by running in my local park. I've used the couch to 5k app previously, and spoke about it before on here, so started using that again last week and already feeling the benefit of it. Probably should have started it sooner but hey.

• 2 weeks later...

I've done 18.5 miles of walking since Monday. Feeling 10 times better for it. Got 8.5 miles planned for Monday already. Far end of porty prom, along to ocean terminal, back along great junction street (might see @throbber outside the foot of the walk in his Lonsdales), through Leith links and back through porty. 

Edited by philpy

"My gym" Torque Barbell reopened today with a 35 person limit as Toronto has entered phase 3 of reopening. I cancelled my membership in June and my wife is due our daughter in September so I don't see the point in signing up for one month, I seem to be staying in shape using Super_Carson's bodyweight and band programme anyway but seeing all the Instagram videos of people working out there today has left me with a case of FOMO, I'm going to miss putting chalk on my hands and throwing weights around! 

Planning on getting into some sort of fitness routine as a beer belly at 20 year old isn't a great look. Nothing mental, just something to tighten up the core and boost upper body strength.. Anyone able to point me in the direction of some good circuits/workouts that can be done at home?

2 hours ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Planning on getting into some sort of fitness routine as a beer belly at 20 year old isn't a great look. Nothing mental, just something to tighten up the core and boost upper body strength.. Anyone able to point me in the direction of some good circuits/workouts that can be done at home?

Download the Freeletics app and have a look through their workouts. A few on there which require no equipment and can easily be done at home.

On 31/07/2020 at 14:21, Torpar said:

"My gym" Torque Barbell reopened today with a 35 person limit as Toronto has entered phase 3 of reopening. I cancelled my membership in June and my wife is due our daughter in September so I don't see the point in signing up for one month, I seem to be staying in shape using Super_Carson's bodyweight and band programme anyway but seeing all the Instagram videos of people working out there today has left me with a case of FOMO, I'm going to miss putting chalk on my hands and throwing weights around! 

Do you need to stop just because the baby is coming? I guess expense maybe makes it prohibitive but thinking that you might appreciate being able to go there and train as a break from the new baby -if you support your wife in finding something that does the same for her, she might be happy about it too. Everyone benefits from being fit and having a rest from the kids for a bit. Or so I am told 🤣

I understand the baby will likely be sleeping a lot at first but I'd feel pretty guilty about leaving my wife alone with her three/four times a week for 2-2 1/2 hours at a time. I intend to stick to the band and bodyweight workouts and hopefully still play ice hockey once a week, I was going to quit but my wife told me not to and like people on here have said, it will be good for a break. We also would like to move out of the city in the near future so saving some money will be a bonus. The dream would be to move into a house with a basement I can set up with a power rack and maybe a hockey net to shoot on!

been avoiding this thread recently purely because it makes me miss the gyms even more, I've dropped a stone in weight, and it's mostly muscle. I am training as much as I can but the motivation is slowly draining away. I am the leanest i've been in ages because i've been focusing on my diet but I miss lifting heavy.

Is anyone else still struggling, or have you gotten over it?