The get fit, stay fit thread

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/05/2020 at 09:33, Dee Man said:

I'm guessing your problem would show up in a blood test. What did doc say?

Got the bloods back and everything was fine. ''Very good'' even he said. Only issue was I need a bit more iron. 

I've ran three times this week, I used to run 10km reguarly, but slowly getting that back up. 

I was convinced  it was something to do with my thyroid - the areas I've gained weight in e.g cheeks, neck, moobs and love handles (rest is all skinny)- but I'll stick to this new routine, fasting and see if I can shed the 15-20 pounds I need to. 

Working shifts and being lazy on the diet, e.g pizzas after I finish at 11pm etc plus Covid19 made me go the opposite from I need to get fit to Ah, who gives a féck no one is going to see me, just pig out and enjoy some beer. 

Anyhoos on with the show!

I’m seriously getting fed up as since lockdown I’m walking about 3 miles a day minimum, or going for a hike or at least 10 miles on the bike. I’m not overeating yet I’m still the same weight I was before lockdown. It’s annoying me that I’m knackered the next morning for nothing 

I thought i had the answers to all my excuses and bought a treadmill off mrs buchan 30s work colleague for £40. It seems to speed up fine, but not slow down or stop when i push the buttons. 
i have tried moving the speed sensor about and it doesn’t seem to have any effect apart from it not going above walking pace.

it also seems to speed up as soon as you go on it.

does anyone on here have a treadmill and have had issues like this?

googled and youtubed it, but cannot find the solutions for the problems or model of treadmill that it is.

it is a T207. 

On 14/06/2020 at 13:50, Thereisalight.. said:

I’m seriously getting fed up as since lockdown I’m walking about 3 miles a day minimum, or going for a hike or at least 10 miles on the bike. I’m not overeating yet I’m still the same weight I was before lockdown. It’s annoying me that I’m knackered the next morning for nothing 

Have you tried https://thefastdiet.co.uk/ ? Really good way to knock off a bit of weight quickly and you may find you quite enjoy doing it, and that in turn can make you feel more spritely when going for a run. 

3 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

I thought i had the answers to all my excuses and bought a treadmill off mrs buchan 30s work colleague for £40. It seems to speed up fine, but not slow down or stop when i push the buttons. 
i have tried moving the speed sensor about and it doesn’t seem to have any effect apart from it not going above walking pace.

it also seems to speed up as soon as you go on it.

does anyone on here have a treadmill and have had issues like this?

googled and youtubed it, but cannot find the solutions for the problems or model of treadmill that it is.

it is a T207. 

200.gif

This will be you...

Been a bit of a struggle the last week to 10 days. Knee starting to give me a bit of pain after I go for a run, which has resulted in me running less and a bit slower when I am out. Going to try another 5k later and have a go at beating my recent best, but even just thinking about it at the moment is putting me off.

Has anyone ever read anything worthwhile re training willpower and motivation. I struggled like f**k to keep going on a run today,m. Granted lockdown had a lot to answer for fitness wise, but in general, I sometimes find it hard to push through and also to get out. The mind needs trained as much as the body IMO and I need to get it a bit more tuned in.

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Has anyone ever read anything worthwhile re training willpower and motivation. I struggled like f**k to keep going on a run today,m. Granted lockdown had a lot to answer for fitness wise, but in general, I sometimes find it hard to push through and also to get out. The mind needs trained as much as the body IMO and I need to get it a bit more tuned in.

Its a hell of a lot easier if you have a routine. Doing the same thing at the same time is way better than fitting it round a schedule. During lock down its probably much harder for most to train regularly as when you have a job to go to you have a structure to your day and your week, you run before or after work every second work day or what ever.

You also find that for much training its much harder because you mentally have a place to go to begin training, the gym or what ever rather than the one space for living, working and training. 

Perhaps the best idea is to work on constancy rather than speed or effort levels of anything else. Have a set time for waking up, set time for as many of your meals as you can and a definite set time to train every day. All you have to do is go for a walk at the same time in your running gear, but do it every day, no "bit lazy today, will kill it tomorrow".  Just focus on establishing the routine and build it from there. 

Its a hell of a lot easier if you have a routine. Doing the same thing at the same time is way better than fitting it round a schedule. During lock down its probably much harder for most to train regularly as when you have a job to go to you have a structure to your day and your week, you run before or after work every second work day or what ever.
You also find that for much training its much harder because you mentally have a place to go to begin training, the gym or what ever rather than the one space for living, working and training. 
Perhaps the best idea is to work on constancy rather than speed or effort levels of anything else. Have a set time for waking up, set time for as many of your meals as you can and a definite set time to train every day. All you have to do is go for a walk at the same time in your running gear, but do it every day, no "bit lazy today, will kill it tomorrow".  Just focus on establishing the routine and build it from there. 
Yeah routine kills me. Was cycling well a few weeks back then had 3 weeks aff it. Back to square one. This is a common theme for me tbf and although sometimes I can blame work, its generally to easy to take breaks.

I need to get my head right for it. I need to make it a must to get my exercise in, but I think I need some help to get there. Ot big on self help type books but there must be something.

35 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Writing things down on a calendar or diary prior can make you stick to them more.  Also, telling people you are going to do them will help motivate you.  Ultimately you just have to do it and get into a routine, as you say it's more difficult to do it.  When I was running a lot I found entering races regularly helped with motivation as you had a goal to aim for.

I have been doing sprint workouts in the park the last couple of weeks - I pace out 60 yards and sprint it five times, rest for two minutes and then repeat.  I keep an eye on my resting heart rate, it's usually about 55 which I think is OK.  Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent, cheap fitness watch thing to keep a closer eye on it.

55 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Yeah routine kills me. Was cycling well a few weeks back then had 3 weeks aff it. Back to square one. This is a common theme for me tbf and although sometimes I can blame work, its generally to easy to take breaks.

I need to get my head right for it. I need to make it a must to get my exercise in, but I think I need some help to get there. Ot big on self help type books but there must be something.

Just start going out for a run ffs.

Hope that helps.

Dont mean to come across as harsh but if you are not losing weight then you are eating too many calories.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Yeah routine kills me. Was cycling well a few weeks back then had 3 weeks aff it. Back to square one. This is a common theme for me tbf

Its most people. This is why the world is full of people who go to gym but are not ripped with 6 packs. We are not that 95% consistent with diet and training schedule. Its not easy, again if it was the world would be full of people who look different to how most of us currently do. 

I need to get my head right for it. I need to make it a must to get my exercise in,

There is no super big secret to it all. If you have a regular schedule and training is part of it then its much easier to keep with it. Most of us have other priorities that pull us out of the habit and make it harder to get back in. Some people put that top of their to do lists ahead of work, kids, tv etc. But that is a sacrifice most do not want to make and its not really one society would benefit from many of us making. 

If you are still stuck at home, set an alarm to go off the same time every day and get out for a walk or a bike ride. Make it a no excuses time of the day and make others in your life realise this is the no excuses hour. 

Buy a cheap calendar, something that shows each month on a page and every day you take your exercise when the alarm goes, make a big red cross. Then you follow the concept of "dont break the chain". That is you try to ensure that once you have established a chain you keep it going, this will give a boost to your will power by giving your reward centres a hit when you make the x and this uses dopamine to reinforce the behaviour subconsciously. And it gives you a visual boost to encourage you

https://medium.com/@MrBuzzFactor/jerry-seinfelds-productivity-hack-don-t-break-the-chain-8d1944b8323d

Its a trick used by therapists to help people with pretty serious issues like smoking and alcohol misuse. 

Also try to learn so very basic meditation. While its all the rage these days but it works. When you wake up in the morning or some other set time of the day work up from two minutes sitting still and just focusing on your breathing and work it up to 10 minutes. This does help to build a small bit of will power and helps set a rhythm to your day. 

Most of the advice is pretty basic, self help books are usually spinning a couple of pages of the same advice into chapters of worthless gimmicks.