The get fit, stay fit thread

If you're a runner then get out tonight and make sure you're running through a housing estate at 8pm.  The NHS virtue signaling will make you feel like you're doing an organized race. :)

Edited by FFCinthearea

On 14/05/2020 at 01:22, underdogunderdog underdog said:

I've been doing couch to 5k during lockdown and now on week 6 with only one more run to go. It's been a weird week as today was two ten minute runs with three minute walk in between then last run of the week is 25 mins. Seems a pretty big increase

I seem to recall it being pretty much the same when I first started running. Went along the lines of 7 minutes, 10 minutes, half an hour. Was the same when I increased the distance also, a couple of small increases 5/6/7k then I was managing 10+ without a huge amount of extra effort.

Not long back in from a 10k(approx) run. The same route has been timed 56m, 55m and now 53m on my last 3 attempts. Improvements every time which is pleasing.

Edited by Ross.

On 14/05/2020 at 01:22, underdogunderdog underdog said:

I've been doing couch to 5k during lockdown and now on week 6 with only one more run to go. It's been a weird week as today was two ten minute runs with three minute walk in between then last run of the week is 25 mins. Seems a pretty big increase

If you're like me and weren't in great shape when you started it, you might still find you finish this much quicker than the actual program.  

I recommend remembering what splits you need to do and listen to a good podcast or some music you enjoy that is a bit energetic. Much better than their stuff.

I seem to recall it being pretty much the same when I first started running. Went along the lines of 7 minutes, 10 minutes, half an hour. Was the same when I increased the distance also, a couple of small increases 5/6/7k then I was managing 10+ without a huge amount of extra effort.
Not long back in from a 10k(approx) run. The same route has been timed 56m, 55m and now 53m on my last 3 attempts. Improvements every time which is pleasing.
Nice one. That's good managing to improve time each time. I managed 25 minutes fine today and felt I had enough in the tank to do well which bodes well for next week.

If you're like me and weren't in great shape when you started it, you might still find you finish this much quicker than the actual program.  
I recommend remembering what splits you need to do and listen to a good podcast or some music you enjoy that is a bit energetic. Much better than their stuff.
Yeah, my fitness wasn't the best so pleased with my progress. I like listening to music while running as usually have a rough idea how long songs last so I know how long I have left to run.

7 hours ago, underdogunderdog underdog said:
17 hours ago, Ross. said:

Nice one. That's good managing to improve time each time. I managed 25 minutes fine today and felt I had enough in the tank to do well which bodes well for next week.

It’s been a lot of hard work getting back into it and is still frustrating that I am so far off what I used to be capable of, but I’m enjoying it again and I’m finding it quite a motivator seeing how close I can get to what I was doing 6 years or so back. Would probably be a lot closer if I was 2 stone lighter again...

Edited by Ross.

On 16/05/2020 at 10:13, Ross. said:

It’s been a lot of hard work getting back into it and is still frustrating that I am so far off what I used to be capable of, but I’m enjoying it again and I’m finding it quite a motivator seeing how close I can get to what I was doing 6 years or so back. Would probably be a lot closer if I was 2 stone lighter again...

Did 2x10k runs this weekend at 50mins and have no idea how I’d knock 5 minutes off to get back to what I used to do in my mid 30s. Still enjoy it though. 

7 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Did 2x10k runs this weekend at 50mins and have no idea how I’d knock 5 minutes off to get back to what I used to do in my mid 30s. Still enjoy it though. 

Yeah, I have given up getting anywhere near the 45/46 minute mark but I want to get sub 50 again. Running a lot less than I was then(2x5k and 1x10k a week is what I intend on trying to stick to, as opposed to 1x10k and 2x15/20k) so never going to break my best times but I still have targets i want to beat. Mostly just learning to enjoy it again for the time being.

Went for a run up the hills last night to break the routine a little and give my legs a challenge. Slow going, 6.5k in 40 minutes but with around 185m in altitude gain. Happy enough with that.

On 19/05/2020 at 14:18, Ross. said:

Went for a run up the hills last night to break the routine a little and give my legs a challenge. Slow going, 6.5k in 40 minutes but with around 185m in altitude gain. Happy enough with that.

Too hot and sunny to go out on the usual route so it was back up the hills through the forest again tonight. 7k in 44 minutes with a 225m elevation gain according to Strava. Again, slow going but a tough one on the legs.

Did a 10k round the local park earlier. Quite hard to stay motivated as it was 17 or 18 laps and each time going by the entrance I was thinking I could just head home and put the feet up. Just under 51 mins so a bit slower but good fun in the rain and flying leaves/branches etc. Ran 11k to the garage to pick up car from a service the other day and ran to work too (6k). 

A pal’s 8y/o kid is doing 5k every day in May to raise money for charity. Some effort. 

Anyone here into Strongman? Me and the laddie love it. Not long watched our very own Tom Stoltman tonight beat his own world record lifting a 296kg atlas stone over a bar. He reckons in about 12 weeks he'll be ready to do 300kg. Watched Hafthor few weeks ago in the deadlift now thoroughly enjoying the verbal spat with Eddie Hall. Whether it's all a bit pantomime who knows but entertaining none the less. 

16 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Did a 10k round the local park earlier. Quite hard to stay motivated as it was 17 or 18 laps and each time going by the entrance I was thinking I could just head home and put the feet up. Just under 51 mins so a bit slower but good fun in the rain and flying leaves/branches etc. Ran 11k to the garage to pick up car from a service the other day and ran to work too (6k). 

A pal’s 8y/o kid is doing 5k every day in May to raise money for charity. Some effort. 

No idea how anyone can run in laps. It saps the fucking life out of me.

Just managed 10k in 50:12 according to Strava. A bit annoyed as I thought I was a minute odds above that and slowed a little over the last couple of k. Really should have got back under the 50 mark.

Did 10k in just under 54 minutes today. Delighted as past two days I've literally sat on the sofa, ate Shite and had some horrible energy sapping fog around my head. Can't describe it any other way, possibly from a sugar binge on Friday

Unfortunately, despite the best of intentions in the beginning, the lockdown and gym closures have resulted in me piling on the pounds. Now I am the heaviest I’ve ever been but more worryingly it is the least fit I have ever been. Not a complete mess but fear that it will take a monumental shift in mindset to get back on track.

Started slowly today, just went on a head clearing walk and will begin a series of different workouts that will hopefully kick-start my metabolism and motivation.

Have weights in the house and a bike (with plenty of cycle routes around). My main issue is definitely motivation and I am guilty of being someone who has to be in the ‘right’ environment to be in the zone for exercise. Pre-lockdown I was in spin classes, indoor football and multiple gym visits a week. Now that I lack those facilities I’ve seriously dipped in motivation.

My other worry is age and getting going. I’m 37 in a few weeks and worry that my body will take a huge break like this, and then subsequent kick-start, quite badly and that I might struggle to get back to where I was, and/or begin to suffer from injuries.

I’ve got a 2 year old who is my main motivator, so just need to keep him as a focus, rather than trying to get back to a fitness level that I maybe had ten years ago which is now possibly a bit unrealistic now.

40 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Unfortunately, despite the best of intentions in the beginning, the lockdown and gym closures have resulted in me piling on the pounds. Now I am the heaviest I’ve ever been but more worryingly it is the least fit I have ever been. Not a complete mess but fear that it will take a monumental shift in mindset to get back on track.

Started slowly today, just went on a head clearing walk and will begin a series of different workouts that will hopefully kick-start my metabolism and motivation.

Have weights in the house and a bike (with plenty of cycle routes around). My main issue is definitely motivation and I am guilty of being someone who has to be in the ‘right’ environment to be in the zone for exercise. Pre-lockdown I was in spin classes, indoor football and multiple gym visits a week. Now that I lack those facilities I’ve seriously dipped in motivation.

My other worry is age and getting going. I’m 37 in a few weeks and worry that my body will take a huge break like this, and then subsequent kick-start, quite badly and that I might struggle to get back to where I was, and/or begin to suffer from injuries.

I’ve got a 2 year old who is my main motivator, so just need to keep him as a focus, rather than trying to get back to a fitness level that I maybe had ten years ago which is now possibly a bit unrealistic now.

No need to be hard on yourself. Doing that amount of stuff beforehand, your body is probably grateful for a bit of rest.  When you can get back to classes again you’ll be back up to speed before long.  With young kids around, testosterone levels in men drop naturally, so you’re programmed to be a bit more docile and gentle around the little ones. 

I’m 42 now and sometimes there are points where it’s clear there’s stuff I’m too old to hack (eg I did a couple of 7am HIIT/boxercise classes and found it unpleasant and thought “what’s the point”).  37 is far from the end of the line. I sometimes spar someone who is 10 years older than me and he’s as sharp in the ring as any of the guys 30 years younger.