The get fit, stay fit thread

Just now, Shandon Par said:

More like over 12 hours! Managed 1000 okay today. Just 50-150 here and there in 20-50 reps. Don’t really have to set aside any time. Do 50 waiting for kettle to boil or espresso machine to do its magic, then another waiting for it to cool, for example.

Seems ok, been thinking about a challenge like that myself. The on the minute thing seems good because it’s easy to count.

Shows you what’s achievable, put the volume in but over time. 

On 04/04/2020 at 21:53, Shandon Par said:

More like over 12 hours! Managed 1000 okay today. Just 50-150 here and there in 20-50 reps. Don’t really have to set aside any time. Do 50 waiting for kettle to boil or espresso machine to do its magic, then another waiting for it to cool, for example.

This is sort of what I am doing while working from home. Sets of 15-20 mind you. 225 is my best so far. On 120 at the moment but planning on another 100 at least before I log out. Got a bit side tracked with actual work earlier, miles behind as a result.

4 minutes ago, Ross. said:

This is sort of what I am doing while working from home. Sets of 15-20 mind you. 225 is my best so far. On 120 at the moment but planning on another 100 at least before I log out. Got a bit side tracked with actual work earlier, miles behind as a result.

I'm busy at work today so just did 100 odd when I got up this morning. Googled it last night and some folk do 1000 in an hour or so. No real science behind it for me - just wanted to do 1000 pushups in a day. Felt impossible the second day (Sunday) but the sets got easier later in the day. Much prefer running alone but been having to combine it with dog walking so have been venturing into the wilds so he can get off the lead not trip me up stopping to sniff lamposts/launch himself at squirrels etc. 

13 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I'm busy at work today so just did 100 odd when I got up this morning. Googled it last night and some folk do 1000 in an hour or so. No real science behind it for me - just wanted to do 1000 pushups in a day. Felt impossible the second day (Sunday) but the sets got easier later in the day. Much prefer running alone but been having to combine it with dog walking so have been venturing into the wilds so he can get off the lead not trip me up stopping to sniff lamposts/launch himself at squirrels etc. 

I’ve always hated doing push ups. Decided last week I would force myself to hammer them. Makes up somewhat for the lack of gym time. My target is to get to 20 sets of 20 and then see where I go from there. Spread out over the working day so not a massive task, but still feel the effort when I am getting towards the end.

14 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I’ve always hated doing push ups. Decided last week I would force myself to hammer them. Makes up somewhat for the lack of gym time. My target is to get to 20 sets of 20 and then see where I go from there. Spread out over the working day so not a massive task, but still feel the effort when I am getting towards the end.

Something I read said to build up to a big amount you could try and do them on the minute. Eg start and you might manage 35 then take a rest for 10 seconds. Start on the next minute and you might only manage 20 but get a longer rest and so on. 

And for us normal, slightly plumper people, I've followed in the missus' footsteps and started a plank challenge by trying to do a bit more every day.

Started today with 2 minutes 10 seconds, which I'm fairly happy with considering I haven't done a lot of core work.

27 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Going to try to do handstand push ups after getting up to a decent number of press ups. 

It's pointless waiting mate, different muscles being used. 

Start off by knees on an arm of a chair and just build up confidence and form from there. 

If you just went straight in to one I'm 95% confident you'd struggle. Everybody does. The burn is brilliant though. 

Tried the 500 Bodyweight challenge today. Time yourself doing:

- 100 squats, followed by

- 100 star jumps, followed by

- 100 lunges (50 each leg), followed by

- 100 push ups, followed by

- 100 knee touches (crunches)

must complete each exercise before moving to the next.

12:47 for me, if anyone wants an easy target to beat. My 51 year old buddy got under 10 mins, but that’s his fucking job so f**k him and the horse he rode in on.

18 hours ago, mathematics said:

Tried the 500 Bodyweight challenge today. Time yourself doing:

- 100 squats, followed by

- 100 star jumps, followed by

- 100 lunges (50 each leg), followed by

- 100 push ups, followed by

- 100 knee touches (crunches)

must complete each exercise before moving to the next.

12:47 for me, if anyone wants an easy target to beat. My 51 year old buddy got under 10 mins, but that’s his fucking job so f**k him and the horse he rode in on.

5 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

18:51 and no flowers at my funeral please

Was going to say 12:47 sounds an excellent time. Just looking at what you need to do I’d have thought about 15 mins, give or take.