The get fit, stay fit thread

6 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

My local gym is run by the council and has closed for the foreseeable. There's a local Pure Gym thats still open and I was considering joining in the meantime but decided against it. In the grand scheme of things it's probably more risk than it's worth given the goings on.

I've ordered some resistance bands to use at home and will probably go the odd run to keep the fitness up. I've been a regular gym goer for about 10 years but have 0 experience with resistance bands. Any exercises or programs that folk can recommend would be much appreciated.

Ive just cancelled my PureGym given that they don't provide anything to wipe equipment down with and the Dunfermline one is manky as anything I think Ill be safer going out running/ walking as much as possible for the next few months

Goodlife Fitness, who have gyms on every second street in Canada closed voluntarily a few days ago, I was feeling quite smug as my own gym Torque Barbell was staying open with extra precautions (increased cleaning, closed to new members and day passes etc) but after the Province declared a state of emergency yesterday it's closed too. 

I now have a loose programme of bodyweight squats, sit ups and push ups and intend to take the stairs at home and work instead of the lift (live on the 10th floor, work on the 8th) Still gutted though, I love my gym!

I see PureGyms are going to remain open. I went to my usual one yesterday and although I get great benefit from going (for mental health especially). I just felt a bit guilty going tbh. 

Ive been going to my pure gym as usual. Been a lot quieter

My gym said they’ll be staying open unless they’re forced to close. They have offered members a 3 month refund/holiday for anyone looking to not go. Fair enough IMO.

Lost every single bit of my motivation after a week of 14+ hour days getting work organised for pupils in preparation for them staying at home, then coming home to my own kids who are fucking hyper after being in the hoose all day. My attempted 366 day streak ended yesterday after getting to 79 days in a row, and I'm not even bothered.

Eating like shite all weekend, then will try some semblance of getting a new routine organised for next week.

It’s a bit of an odd twist that I start at my new CrossFit place (due to moving house) on Monday morning. Due to this virus, they are training in the local park and keeping about 3meters apart so it will be interesting to see how that goes. Looking forward to it but having done nothing but eat for months, I am also dreading it. Have to be less of a fat b*****d though, so need to get on it.

14 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
15 hours ago, Shandon Par said:
Been trying to get one of these bags but sold out everywhere. Home fitness equipment sales have gone through the roof in recent days.

Ryan Garcia is a wee fanny

The equipment is incidental. What I really meant was I wanted a shirtless, grunting young man in my shed. 

11 hours ago, Jambomo said:

It’s a bit of an odd twist that I start at my new CrossFit place (due to moving house) on Monday morning. Due to this virus, they are training in the local park and keeping about 3meters apart so it will be interesting to see how that goes. Looking forward to it but having done nothing but eat for months, I am also dreading it. Have to be less of a fat b*****d though, so need to get on it.

Hope the weather stays like this for it. Been out running round the hills and paths of Bonaly, Colinton etc today and it’s a great head space to be in when all you’re concentrating on is enjoying the exercise and the views.

11 hours ago, Jambomo said:

aye - am quite similar. Go through phases where I just eat, drink with no exercise - and actually quite enjoy the not giving a feck approach. But then I'll start internally nagging myself and slowly get into the mindset of getting back in shape. The first two or three sessions/days are always the toughest but then find myself back into the fitness routine. The key for me is seeing improvements in terms of weight, fitness and times and that motivates me further. I'll reach a goal and then - boom, happy to get back to the slothing/lethargy! its almost what motivates me in the first place. and so the merry dance continues. 

First one was yesterday, second one today.

Anyone know the margin for error on Strava? Took an identical route both days and that’s quite a variation on the distance for such a short run.

Going to have a go at the 3/4 times a week until normality resumes. The second climb is a fucking killer and I won’t be happy until I can manage that without having to walk part of it.

872637FE-5AEF-49E4-B5B7-74527B090E52.png

9688F3AE-32E4-440E-AE00-27FF4685C4BB.png