The get fit, stay fit thread

36 minutes ago, the jambo-rocker said:

You're right about energy balance and initially the body works like that. However, the body is genetically programmed to accumulate every calorie it can over hundreds of generations before us living in an environment where most people lived with food being scarce until arguably the last 40-50 years.

Eventually the brain makes itself more efficient and learns to function on less calories a day and will be more likely to hold onto the ones it gains after thinking that it needs to conserve energy when it thinks food is scarce ands gains faster when food is acquired, hence why it feels like you might be doing the same amount of work but not getting the same weight reduced results. A good example of this is why most of the people that participate in the biggest loser tend to put all the weight back and in then some in some cases after a dramatic reduction.

This is no different to what I'm saying.

As you lose weight, it takes less calories to maintain your same weight, therefore if you want to keep losing weight, you need to keep making sure you're in a negative energy balance.

The reason folk in TBL tend to put the weight back on is that they crash diet to win a competition and don't learn anything about health or nutrition, and once they've participated they go back to the same unhealthy habits than what I'm saying.

It's all about energy balance. The body always works like that, not just initially.

There was an article about e biggest loser a few years ago and one of the guys who won detailed what they did. He counted calories and did steady state cardio to make sure he was in a significant deficit every day. If he didn’t get in a big enough deficit he’d go out and ride his bike around his neighbourhood until midnight. When he finished he had to take two weeks to recover as he was so exhausted. If you looked up “unsustainable” in the dictionary you’d see this diet and exercise plan.

35 minutes ago, Gaz said:

This is no different to what I'm saying.

As you lose weight, it takes less calories to maintain your same weight, therefore if you want to keep losing weight, you need to keep making sure you're in a negative energy balance.

The reason folk in TBL tend to put the weight back on is that they crash diet to win a competition and don't learn anything about health or nutrition, and once they've participated they go back to the same unhealthy habits than what I'm saying.

It's all about energy balance. The body always works like that, not just initially.

All I was getting at was that the energy balance level changes, and tends to go in the lower direction. The only gospel I've heard and tried to follow in getting the levels back up is lift more weights/get stronger.

5 hours ago, the jambo-rocker said:

All I was getting at was that the energy balance level changes, and tends to go in the lower direction. The only gospel I've heard and tried to follow in getting the levels back up is lift more weights/get stronger.

Your energy balance levels don't change. This is a fundamental law of physics.

What happens is that as people lose weight, their body needs less energy (calories) to maintain the same weight and to carry out exercise, so the calories in < calories out has to be adjusted.

10 hours ago, Gaz said:

What happens is that as people lose weight, their body needs less energy (calories) to maintain the same weight and to carry out exercise, so the calories in < calories out has to be adjusted.

I wish that was true. Skinny 20 year old me ate far more and exercised a lot less compared to slighty more rotund 30 year old me that eats far less and exercises a lot more.

What happens is that as people lose weight, their body needs less energy (calories) to maintain the same weight and to carry out exercise, so the calories in

This is true but is meaningless. Your caloric break even point changes all the time depending on activity levels, food consumption etc.

Has anyone on here used creatine before?

I've had a tub of it lying around for a while and going to use it.

Loading phase, first week 20g per day. Ok to take after workout in one go mixed with shake?

Better to have 10g morning and 10g night?

Then 5g per day. For how long?

Bit of a noob with supplements, I take whey protein after workouts in a shake and sometimes cycle zma. Also use bcca drink between weights and playing fives or biking.

Creatine just increases water retention? Helps to increase size and therefore lift slightly more?

Loading phase, first week 20g per day. Ok to take after workout in one go mixed with shake?

Bit of a noob with supplements, I take whey protein after workouts in a shake and sometimes cycle zma. Also use bcca drink between weights and playing fives or biking.

Creatine just increases water retention? Helps to increase size and therefore lift slightly more?

It’s a waste of time and money IMO. It’s a one off benefit that you’ll likely lose when the tub runs out. In future spend your money on better food or get some proper PEDs that will give you proper gains [emoji6]

It’s a waste of time and money IMO. It’s a one off benefit that you’ll likely lose when the tub runs out. In future spend your money on better food or get some proper PEDs that will give you proper gains [emoji6]
Well it's there so will use it. Theres instructions on it but wanted to know if it's better to use in one go when loading.

Most supplements are a waste of money unless you are training to be an elite athlete or a strong man. Just eat well and move and lift more

10 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

It definitely makes you look bigger but the one side effect I found is that it made me sweat like f**k even a few hours after a work out. I just finished a tub before Christmas but I won't be buying it, or any other supplement again. I'm intending on doing 2020 completely au naturel and seeing how I go. 

14 hours ago, Daydream said:

This is true but is meaningless. Your caloric break even point changes all the time depending on activity levels, food consumption etc.

Er... this is exactly what I'm saying.

I use Creatine, 5g a day. It's one of the few supplements that is proven to have a benefit, and it's pretty cheap.

You don't really need to bother with the loading phase.

I would encourage anyone with more than a passing interest in fitness, and in particular the science behind it, to check out a guy called Mike Matthews, and his book Bigger, Leaner, Stronger (now on its third edition). He is excellent at explaining the science behind fitness, exercise and nutrition and has plenty links to the science behind it. He has a podcast as well called Muscle for Life, and a website called Legion Athletics.

Had my first weigh in since doing a 5k charity run in early December. Only put on 3lbs in that time which is frankly fucking impressive given the amount of food and drink I've had between umpteen birthday and christmas parties plus 10 days in Miami.

Back at the gym on Monday and intending to lose at least a stone between now and a pal's wedding in May so I'll be battering on with the usual cardio routine.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, PB4U said:

I've been trying real hard at my programme since the 3rd but I've only lost 1lb.  

I've been eating the same every day:  

B -  2 eggs hard boiled, tomato, black coffee.  
L - Lean chicken, salad, no dressing lots of water 
D -  skinless fish and unlimited root veg.   

No snacking and 90 mins every day cardio.   

I don't know what I'm doing wrong.  

Not sure if serious. 

Root veg have a load of carbs so if you're consuming 'unlimited' amounts, there's your answer. 

I'm struggling to get back into it post-christmas.

I only put on 4kg over the festive period which is surprising as I ate and drank way too much. Only thing I've done exercise wise since new year has been a four mile walk and a ten mile cycle on different days.